SAU Community

The Epa Thread/Roadworthy Thread

Do-Luck

HAHAHA ok so my mate got done for his car being to loud,

so we went and got heaps of Fly Wire and down the road from the place we pulled over and

you just scrunch it up and shove it in the exust pipe!

dont drive a long distance with them as they burn out,

when it was finished being tested ( IT WORKED!! )

we just gave it heaps down the freeway and the flywire shot out the back!

it was really funny, people wore driving past us,

and i was shoving flywire up an exust!

haha

it did work though!

Ho hum.

So... Registering things in the land of VIC.

The car was previously registered by its prior owner in VIC, however whilst it "passed" a roadworthy cert in VIC (i got one done by the previous owner), when i brought it to ACT i had a bunch of problems - since rectified.

However rules aren't the same place to place.

When I hit ACT i ended up getting it engineered with the following to get it passed (as well as having it retinted).

Non-standard Rims/Tyres, 18x8.5, 18x9.5 rears

Non-standard Fuel Delivery System (Fuel Pump etc)

Non-Standard Exhaust

Electronic Boost controller

FMIC

Non-standard Coilovers

Body Kit

Strut Brace

Non-standard steering wheel

Now the only thing to add to this is, it has a Pod (and powerfc). Although its mounted and has a seperator (not a box) between the pod and the engine bay.

The car passes exhaust in ACT and I'm not overly worried about that here, but the pod/FMIC combo seems to worry me from the others experiences here.

Basically - what should i do to the car before taking it over the pits?

The pod will need to go, you can't have 2 intake mods here in Vic. Also, just FYI, alot of police don't care about an engineering certificate. I know you have already had it done, just don't bother with another one. I know people who have still been defected and sent to EPA, so IMO it is a waste of time and money for a daily 'stock-ish' car.

Things like EBC and PowerFC are outright illegal (you may not get caught, just know they are illegal tho)

Hope this helps a bit!

Cheers,

Dan :rolleyes:

I read the whole thread and it didn't look like this was covered. My car has a rwc as of a few days a go and everything is completely stock minus a rear strut bar. I have to take it to vic roads to get registered next week. Now under their policy, import vehicles must be inspected by them before they allow the registration to pass.

Anyone know how thorough this "inspection" is?

Assuming the rwc was infact done properly, i should be fine right?

Got back from a reputable tyre shop and said that wheel spacers are legal if they are bolt on.

I was wondering where i could get a confirmation of this law from vicroads? is there a phone number i can call and ask about modifications like these?

I got defected for wrong tyre load rating on my tyres.

I have two options;

- Replace the tyres on my rims (which require bolt on spacers)

- Or put on a set of rims with tyres which do not require spacers.

Thanks

Patrick

I'm THINKING about running a straight through pipe, what I want to know is how bad is the fine REALLY is for not running a cat? Everyones heard the rumors, but has anyone actually ever heard of getting done?? I'd say there would be a fair few people running straight through pipes around....

Also what is the process? I have more of an understanding that this would be an EPA matter, therefore if a cop pulls you over and happens to look under the car and notice the absence of a cat, surely he isn't going to be able to slap you with a $*insert horrendous figure here* fine on the spot, I would think that he would take photo's and send you to the EPA... by which time you have fitted a workign cat and fixed up all the other goodies.

But what about if you happened to drive through a defect station. Are these run in conjunction with the EPA? Are there people there with noise/emissions testers? Or is it bunch of TMU lads going to town with the illegal mods and the like?

I've tried googling around the EPA website but I can't really find anything of use..

If anyone could shed some light on the matter it would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

tun a straight through exhaust, but keep the cat cover and fill it up with some sort of steel wool to make it seem "full" so if they tap it it wont sound hollow!. Not like they are going to start taking things off your car on the spot!

decat + straight pipe inside will look and sound like(if tapped) a normal cat.. but a cop with half a brain will be able to tell you dont have a cat cause it fkn stinks + the obvious flames if your that unlucky.. but id think he would only epa you cause he cant prove it on the spot i guess?.. your cat could genuinely be fkd and need to be replaced(not including the straightpipe jobby)(insert ash's comment here) i got done by an epa dude setup next to a booze bus.. checked my exhaust with his sniffer thing etc.. i said it was like that when i got the car and got sent to epa no fines etc just did the obvious before i rocked up

Hey guys, just wondering if this car would get EPA'ed. (Not for being too loud but for the aftermarket intercooler with an exhaust?).

"turbo back stainless exhaust system, front mount intercooler, turbo timer, blitz cold air intake"

I've read the documents but not really sure what else get catagorised as another 'air intake'.

I assume "blitz cold air intake" makes in an EPA issue coupled with the aftermarket intercooler?

recently got done for a oil breather. i was wondering have any of you guys heard of it?

it seems i keep gettn done for weird things. last time i got defected was because my cooler had to be crash tested for safety (wat a joke)