SAU Community

The Epa Thread/Roadworthy Thread

Do-Luck

Mate of mine recently got lucky in NSW with his defect.

I contacted the RMS about a dfect of 7 years old as he has lost the paper work and wasn't sure what he should do. Was told you need to fill in a document and hand it in with a blue slip and its all gone, UNLESS its an EPA defect.

Contacted the EPA and it had a defect from them. The guy I spoke to though said given the age of the defect and the fact it was going to need a blue slip for rego he would remove the defect from the system.

He hasn't tried registering the car yet as I need to get it going again after sitting for close to 7 years, but time will tell.

• 10 months later...

When you go to VicRoads to register an unregistered car (in my case it was on a club permit but same thing). Does someone come out and inspect the car? Or do they just accept the RWC sign you off? Sounds like a silly question but I haven't been through the un-registered process before.

In my experience you hand your proof of ownership papers and RWC certificate to them, the attendant will come outside to inspect that the chassis and engine numbers match and likely glance at tyres/easy stuff/shiny performance bits to satisfy themselves that the car didn't present as obviously unroadworthy

EDIT: Should mention that the engine number is the same as declared to vicroads, so it doesn't have to be the original engine but they must know about it and you declare the engine number on the form too. I haven't done this with a modified/engineered car so I can't comment on that. Making the engine number on the block easily visible makes their job easier too

Edited by Spressy
added an extra bit

35 minutes ago, Spressy said:

In my experience you hand your proof of ownership papers and RWC certificate to them, the attendant will come outside to inspect that the chassis and engine numbers match and likely glance at tyres/easy stuff/shiny performance bits to satisfy themselves that the car didn't present as obviously unroadworthy

EDIT: Should mention that the engine number is the same as declared to vicroads, so it doesn't have to be the original engine but they must know about it and you declare the engine number on the form too. I haven't done this with a modified/engineered car so I can't comment on that. Making the engine number on the block easily visible makes their job easier too

Ok I'm just asking because theoretically if I had a RWC for this engine bay if they'd ask many questions lol. The rest of the car is dead stock looking, new paint and bolts front to back. Just curious if become it looks pretty presentable they wont be too bad on me. I know those VicRoads guys aren't mechanics just people who check the vin and engine number but not sure on the likely hood they'll pull me up for my bay...don't want to get the RWC guy in shit.

So far I've added the "technicalities". The high mount and turbo are glaringly obvious but so be it.

*Custom made new 2 1/4 exhaust off a new 3" dump whisper silent

*Re-circ bov

*New black powdercoated and enclosed airbox

*Screamer plumbed into new exhaust

I just want to get registered (not engineered) as the car was previously on a club permit with the old owner.

dfu.jpg

Edited by 32psi

35 minutes ago, Leroy Peterson said:

I don't know how you managed to get a RWC, but it's probably down to who inspects the car at vic roads. Least you got an airbox made up lol

Lol I said, "theoretically" :6_smile: but yeah I'm going for the whole "seems legit" look. I was considering finding the biggest engine cover off a new car I could find and just sticking it on top of everything.

• 2 weeks later...

How are RWC's with cars from the late 70's? Reading through the regs and it sounds OK, but wasn't sure if testers are out to recover costs like they are with more modern cars...
Seat belts are still retractable and locking type, but obviously aren't going to be up to a modern standard, so not sure how anal they're going to be about it.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, I have not been defeceted for about 5 years (touch wood). I rarely drive my R33 GTR but when I do it's fairly modified and is loud but the cops just drive right pass me and some even compliment my car. So thought I'd ask if the scene with the cops have been a bit more relaxed in recent years? 

Cheers,

Alex

It is interesting, the dynamic currently.

I think with the camera/database and automated method of checking number plates, they already know what kind of driver you are (speeding fines, previous defects, how often you have been to the toilet today, etc.)  Any flags and they go for it.

So they already know you and your car.

Otherwise, it's probably discretionary.....  "Quiet day Sergeant isn't it? Yep, OH, there's a Datsun 1600, used to have one of them...let's pull 'em over and see what's under the bonnet...."

"Cheeesuss...  Must go alright?....."

"Seems like a nice respectful bloke, let's give him a random breath test and let him go..."

Is usually what I get.

• Like 2

Much better than "Is that a GODDAMN pod filter AND an intercooler?" I'll personally see to it that you be removed from the road and may god have mercy on your baby killing soul.

• Haha 1

On 9/17/2018 at 9:14 AM, wht510 said:

It is interesting, the dynamic currently.

I think with the camera/database and automated method of checking number plates, they already know what kind of driver you are (speeding fines, previous defects, how often you have been to the toilet today, etc.)  Any flags and they go for it.

So they already know you and your car.

Otherwise, it's probably discretionary.....  "Quiet day Sergeant isn't it? Yep, OH, there's a Datsun 1600, used to have one of them...let's pull 'em over and see what's under the bonnet...."

"Cheeesuss...  Must go alright?....."

"Seems like a nice respectful bloke, let's give him a random breath test and let him go..."

Is usually what I get.

I think you make a good point. 

One time, a cops were at the lights and I was already across the road and the red lights came on so they didn't to turn on their flashing lights to go for me and I "respectfully" stopped. They caught up to me and then checked my licence and said because you've been a good driver and respectful they're not going to waste my time and bid me farewell. 

• 1 month later...

Also can anyone describe the test process? How far away is the mic what height as where relative to the exhaust? 

Do they spike the throttle or bring it up slowly? 5100rpm for a rb26 is that still current? 

Thanks in advance 

I honestly think you will struggle to get anything but a standard exhaust passed.

We got done about 18 months ago. Its an S14 with an RB26 in it. Decent cams, PT6466, makes 500rwkw. Its normally got an old Trust TR race exhaust bolted to it and during the test for the defect the car was 106db at 4000rpm. I don't think the tester realised we had done an engine swap as it should have been 5100rpm.

I tried packing the exhaust with exhaust heat wrap. I extended the silencer the TR comes with to about 2 foot long. To the ear I thought the silencer worked really well and figured packing the exhaust would make it even quieter, but not the case. Sadly I had packed the exhaust so much the car struggled to make it to 4000rpm and it was over 100db as it was so failed miserably on the first attempt to clear the defect.

Went and got a stock exhaust put on the car and the car was 86db. The test rpm isn't the only issue, they also test the car on deceleration and its normally when you will get a spike which fails the car.

When we were tested the mic was placed at about 45 degrees to the outlet at about 50cm from the tail pipe. I think the law states 2/3 of the power band as per the factory quoted figures. They will generally just do what is needed to get the test rpm. I was actually able to operate the throttle when we got tested so built the rpm up slowly so as to not rev it more than was needed. They then ask you to snap the throttle shut. So just jump off the pedal. This is all in NSW though

• Thanks 1