SAU Community

350gt Tv And Sat Nav

GT-R LM

Why only coupes? I have sedan :)

What do I want from my LCD Screen? For me, apart from the fuel economy screen, it's pretty much all a gimmick, but I'm so glad I have it as without it there looks like there is something missing.

Firstly, I would preferably want it in English.

I don't really care about Navigation. By all accounts this is impossible anyway.

TV - I can't see why this wouldn't be achievable with little mods to the OEM.

Bits and pieces I have found from research -

the headunit is most probably made by Clarion - the US guys say theirs is but I can't confirm on the jap ones.

The software for ours is made by Xanavi.

http://www.xanavi.co.jp/products.html - go through and find the page that says Map Software - the BirdView one i believe is ours.

There are 2 Discs that make up the software - 1 Program disc/Firmware update disc(CD) and 1 Map Disc(Dual Layer DVD)

The US guys say they can change the languages from their menus.

I've had the US discs sent to me(they are made by a different company - http://www.zenrin.com)

The Update Disc complains about firmware being incorrect. The Map DVD does nothing. So don't bother with this route guys.

But I'm pretty sure you would be able to exchange the DVD-ROM Drive with the US one and have it work. Harnesses "should" all be the same. The ones for the stereo certainly are. But i'm not going to fork out this money without someone confirming this firstly. Oh and if it works your screen will say Infiniti instead of Nissan...

I am really interested in getting the Jap equivalent to these Discs. I didn't get them, if you have them, can I beg you for a copy.

The best thing to do is get someone who speaks Japanese call up this company and ask them about an update copy of the firmware - can they confirm if it changes languages? That alone would be worth a shell-in for us to buy a copy.

g35driver says what Chris says. You can buy a double-din facia and replace the HU but the aircon controls need to be swapped out for aftermarket at the same time. For me this is a bit expensive at the moment, and I am quite happy with the sound from the stock HU as is.

The TV module in my car is made by this mob:-

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/t....jp%2findex.htm

Mine says ATV-62 on the side. Is your's the same?

Again someone who speaks Japanese would be best to call them and ask them for a wiring diagram.

Can someone tell me the technical reason why the TV needs to be converted? I've never had it explained properly and I don't get it.

I have sent heaps of emails to heaps of Jap companies. Never with any replies. Could be the language barrier.

Also Maximas don't come with Navigation screens afaik? Only the Muranos and Patrols. But completely different systems.

Yes aftermarket connectors and harnesses can be hooked up for you to utilise the existing screen no problems. But I'm trying to exhaust OEM options(ie , do it cheap!)

putting that TV model into google gives this:

http://www.e-axios.com/other/tv.html

that lists all cars fitted with that unit.

still looking for the actaul nav unit. mainly for pinouts.

• 4 weeks later...

No need for radical removal of factory audio to integrate TV, DVD, NAV or reverse camera for current V35 series.

Pics attached of a vehicle with Australian Mapping, and reverse camera. TV and DVD can also be intergrated.

PM me if interested.

post-26639-1179226666_thumb.jpg

post-26639-1179226743_thumb.jpg

post-26639-1179226824_thumb.jpg

We have converted a lot of V35's now and a kit is able to be made up and installed by a local installer if they know what they are doing, even got the new Cima working sweet as.

After trying every option best plan seems to be you fit a new unit putting it in the boot or under the front seat, leaving the OEM unit in the car due to other things it also controls.

Do not let some one "give it a go" as they can make a serious mess if they dont know what they are doing and the car is off the road a long time.

TV isnt hard to get working and the new Sat Nav system is controlled by a small remote with split screen and everything working.

Personally I have a OEM double DIN unit as mine is 6 Speed Manual and they dont come with Sat Nav.

Also you can order Double Din as per below from Japan Parts

g35after.JPG

Edited by DRIFTT

We have converted a lot of V35's now and a kit is able to be made up and installed by a local installer if they know what they are doing, even got the new Cima working sweet as.

After trying every option best plan seems to be you fit a new unit putting it in the boot or under the front seat, leaving the OEM unit in the car due to other things it also controls.

Do not let some one "give it a go" as they can make a serious mess if they dont know what they are doing and the car is off the road a long time.

TV isnt hard to get working and the new Sat Nav system is controlled by a small remote with split screen and everything working.

Personally I have a OEM double DIN unit as mine is 6 Speed Manual and they dont come with Sat Nav.

Also you can order Double Din as per below from Japan Parts

g35after.JPG

Drift,

Can i get some specific details?

What "conversion kit" are you referring too? Is it available off the shelf or did you make it? Either way what's the price?

As for the new unit in the boot - Any recommendations on models?

I've looked into this myself, and the parts I've found that will get the Navi working on original screen, come up to over $1k, and I can't justify this when you can get Navi's for well under this now.

PM me if you like, any info is appreciated.

cheers

Bobby

Drift,

What "conversion kit" are you referring too? Is it available off the shelf or did you make it? Either way what's the price?

As for the new unit in the boot - Any recommendations on models?

I've looked into this myself, and the parts I've found that will get the Navi working on original screen, come up to over $1k, and I can't justify this when you can get Navi's for well under this now.

PM me if you like, any info is appreciated.

cheers

Bobby

for the navi unit you are correct. the CD based or is a touch under $2k and the flash version is $1700 or so (VDO)

as for the total swap - loosely $800-$1k before gear.

drift,

are you swapping the AC controls?

This link says it all for the English version.

http://www.nissan.co.jp/EN/navi.html

It also says this;

Q.Can I use the English DVD navigation system outside Japan?A.We are afraid not. The vehicle-installed GPS system can operate only within Japan and we do not have applicable maps for usage outside Japan.

There is a guy in Burswood, WA doing the VDO and TV conversions, retains the original DVD in the upper glove box to keep all the other controls sweet and mounts the VDO unit in the boot.

This link says it all for the English version.

http://www.nissan.co.jp/EN/navi.html

It also says this;

Q.Can I use the English DVD navigation system outside Japan?A.We are afraid not. The vehicle-installed GPS system can operate only within Japan and we do not have applicable maps for usage outside Japan.

There is a guy in Burswood, WA doing the VDO and TV conversions, retains the original DVD in the upper glove box to keep all the other controls sweet and mounts the VDO unit in the boot.

so I was correct. wht I would like to attempt is getting the display correct on the radio. mos of them use the same processor across the range (this is based on clarion.) and it is a hardwire setting that needs to change. the only thing that concerns me is the FM frontend and if it is tuned to the top end of the FM band. AM is fine.

same place I source from. good to see that someone else does too..

I get a lot of OEM items off Graham, on a new RX7 CAT he saved a customer of mine $2,000 on the one item.

Drift,

Brian who is the person at Burswood everyone in WA uses he can do conversion kits as a dealer in QLD needed to convert some cars.

are you swapping the AC controls?

For the double DIN conversion and no GPS you need to change the A/C controls and the JDM GPS unit has to stay in the car for various reasons if keeping the screen.

before anyone else asks I want to attempt this on a V35. anything else can be removed and is not worth attempting :ermm:

To my knowledge don't waste your time, Brian is a GPS Guru on software and everything else not just a person who installs stereos and it has been tried before.

I supply all the Schematics and so fourth for the JDM cars and he just did a 2005 V35 and it is way different again to the 2001/2004 2 door and 4 door.

The GPS units are put in the boot as a couple of people wanted it in the glove box but you need to move 2 computers and about 96 wires to extend.

No one to date in WA can even get close to how well Brian gets them running so email me at [email protected] and I will pass details on..

Nigel.

Edited by DRIFTT

Nigel

You are right about Brian I was at his workshop this morning having a look at the 2005. He has it sussed there is no interference on the screen at all the Nav he out in works a treat.

He has worked out how to keep all the other stuff that the JDM unit does as well as install the new nav unit. He is falt out all the time but like you said in Perth no one comes near him as far as this sort of stuff goes.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Final nail in the coffin for the factory system. See email below from Nissan Japan.

Thank you for your email dated May31, 2007, concerning the DVD system.

With regard to your concern, we would like to provide you with the following information regarding the navigation system.

The English navigation system is available for only a dealer-installed Xanavi DX305 series DVD navigation system. The English navigation is not available for a factory-installed navigation.

In addition, we would like to inform you that the Xanavi DX305 series contains only navigation functions. It is not a multi purpose screen which includes audio, CD etc, control functions.@Therefore, your navigation cannot be converted to English.

Sincerely,

Katsumasa INOUE

Assistant Manager

Customer Affairs Group