SAU Community

R32 Gtr Diff Oil

G'Day guys!

I am getting my 32 GTR serviced shortly. I ahve brought some Redline Oil (80W140) for the diff. Just wondering what the diffs take in total. I got a 4L bottle of it, but heard they might take around 2.5L each? Can any1 confirm this or tell me how much their one took? I know the front is an open diff and the rear is an LSD, is the 80W140 Redline fine for both these diffs (not shockproof)?

Cheers guys!

Dan >_<

Edited by JonesyGTR

From the manual:

(1) Front final drive (F160)

Nissan gear oil hypoid GL-5 85W-90 [approx. 1.0 L]

(2) Rear final drive [R200 (mechanical LSD)]

Nissan gear oil hypoid LSD GL-5 80W-90 [approx. 1.5 L]

Note that different spec oils (i.e. LSD and non-LSD) oils are specified for front and rear

Thanks for that Gav. I was told that using an LSD oil in a non-LSD diff was OK, just not the other way around. Can anyone confirm my choices of oil from the first post?

Cheers!

Dan :domokun:

I have brought some Redline Oil (80W140) for the diff. Just wondering what the diffs take in total. I got a 4L bottle of it, but heard they might take around 2.5L each? Can any1 confirm this or tell me how much their one took? I know the front is an open diff and the rear is an LSD, is the 80W140 Redline fine for both these diffs (not shockproof)?

Come on guys, surely someone knows whether this fluid is OK or not?

Cheers!

Dan :sorcerer:

hey mate

i justcaught your thread and i went through the same thing at the end of jan just before i went to the track on australia day. Yes the LSD oil is ok to use in the non LSD diff but not the other way around. I found that after i changed my rear diff oil the diff was noticably looser than before ie spinning the inside wheel more, Im not really happy and i think that when i got all the info for doing my oils that they said you can put lightweight shock proof in the rear diffs but it makes them really tight. If you need to check anything i called the number on the web site and they were really helpful.

Let me know what your rear diff does when you change the oil mine is prob just getting worn out!

• 3 months later...

Ive done a fair reading and the like about diff oils for R32 GTR's and just want to confirm if these are alright to use and alternatives that others use.

Front diff - (open)

**Im thinking about using Penrite HYPOID 80/90 which is for open diff and is close to factory spec oil of 85w-90.

Penrite actually recommend: Front differential oil TRANSAXLE 75 and LIMSLIP 90

Redline recommend If Open or spool use Red Line 'Lightweight Shockproof'.

Rear diff - (LSD)

**Im going to use Penrite LIMSLIP 90 which is 85w-140 and is ment for LSD diffs obviously.

Penrite also recommended LIMSLIP 90 for the rear diff.

Redline Recommend If LSD use Red Line '80W140';

Castrol recommend Castrol SAF-XA 80w-140 GL5 limited slip differential oil for rear and front diffs.

Nissan handbook says

Front diff - Nissan Gear oil hypoid GL-5 85w90 non lsd

Rear diff - Nissan Gear oil hypoid LSD GL-5 80w-90

Now my questions are

1. Will the penrite oils ive said be fine to use ?

2. Is it true that lsd oil can be use in non lsd diff but not visa versa ?

3. The fact spec oil is 80w-90 for the rear diff but all the recommedations are 80/85w-140. What is the difference between them ?

If anyone else can tell me what they have used in the front and rear diffs in their gtrs, and how those oils have performed that would be great.

Any other help would be greatly appreciated aswell as im a tiny bit confused and just want to clear things up.

Cheers