SAU Community

Exhaust Temp Light Stuck On

Guest gtr_monster

Guest gtr_monster

hey guys i have a r32 gtr and the exhaust temp warning light on the dash keeps coming on

and staying on for a while, if i take it over 3 grand when it's on the car misses and has poor performance, but when it turns off the car goes fine, can anyone help me please

hey guys i have a r32 gtr and the exhaust temp warning light on the dash keeps coming on

and staying on for a while, if i take it over 3 grand when it's on the car misses and has poor performance, but when it turns off the car goes fine, can anyone help me please

Hey there,

I think you'll find that sensor in the cat temp sensor is only hooked up to the dash light, its not fed into any system meaning it being on or off would have no impact on the engines running.

I think somethings creating the heat in the cat, like over fueling, which will turn the light on,

Maybe the hot, melted cat is causing the missing.

Maybe check the ECU for error codes.

Cheers

Edited by GeeTR

Hey there,

I think you'll find that sensor in the cat is only hooked up to the dash light, its not fed into any system meaning it being on or off would have no impact on the engines running.

I think somethings creating the heat in the cat, like over fueling, which turns the light on, and is creating the illusion that the lights is meaning the ECU is cutting or what ever.

Making the hot, melted cat is causing the missing.

Maybe check the ECU for error codes.

Cheers

If for any reason the cat collapses you chokes up somehow and starts to restrict flow(majorly), then in theory the cat should heat up and the temp sensor would pick this up yes?

Dont exhaust temps increase when a car is running leaner rather than richer?

So get ur AFR checked out on a dyno. My cat temp light began flashing when i started running Boost98 petrol, put it on the dyno and the AFRs were 13.5:1

i had this problem, but it was just a dodgy wire. it wasn't affecting performance though. i could turn the ignition to on (without starting the car) first thing in the morning and it would come on.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 15 years later...

hi there im from Brunei ,think i have the same problem like yrs, 1st ignition on without starting the car ,the exhaust light flashing then i turn off and 2nd ignition it wont come up the light .BTW what dodgy wire that u mention need to check for .

here are some video .

On 5/30/2022 at 1:07 AM, BY55 said:

hi there im from Brunei ,think i have the same problem like yrs, 1st ignition on without starting the car ,the exhaust light flashing then i turn off and 2nd ignition it wont come up the light .BTW what dodgy wire that u mention need to check for .

here are some video .

Check the Consult connector, make sure the connector is in good shape. Then verify that there are no active codes on the ECU. The exhaust gas overtemp lamp is also a check engine light: https://www.gtrusablog.com/2016/04/how-to-read-check-engine-or-cat.html

here are some video .

if no code ,u mean the oxygen sensor ?

No, what he meant was.....the EGOT lamp is also the check engine light, so it will indicate either that the cat is too hot, or that the ECU is chucking a code. You need to check whether or not the ECU is chucking a code at you. That's what he meant by "verify that there are no active codes".

What he really should have said was "check to see if there are any codes".

So, check to see what your ECU is telling you. It is far far more likely that you have an ECU/sensor problem than that you actually have overtemperature exhaust**.

**Although I am willing to concede that a thoroughly blocked injector, or similar problem, could cause sufficiently lean conditions to make hot gas. Usually though, there are other more horrible symptoms of such a problem than just the cat light coming on.

On 5/30/2022 at 3:12 AM, BY55 said:

here are some video .

if no code ,u mean the oxygen sensor ?

In the future I recommend posting your questions in the thread instead of sending them to me as a PM, just in case someone else has your problem in the future. Two things stand out to me from what you've sent me:

1. Someone appears to have messed with the wiring on the car. So in that regard you're on your own, I can't trace wires remotely and figure out what's been done to your car.

2. I recommend reading through what I linked to figure out what the ECU error code is and report back. That may give you some clue as to what's wrong.