SAU Community

Diy:diff Shimming For R33 Gtst

Trust33

Bubba, has it ever single pegged since shimmed? Also does it still chirp around tight corners?

Nope, no single pegging and it doesn't chirp around tight corners anymore. The only time I can feel it bind up slightly is full lock, reversing out of a parking space.

Even at its' worst (when it was nice and fresh), it was still nothing like trying to park the 32 with a button clutch and 2-way :P

How do you round off a nut when your using the right size socket? are you sure its not the ratchet slipping? try using a breaker bar and see if it still slips.

Only other thing i can think of, assuming you havnt round it off too badly, buy an impact single hex socket, in the mean time just keep soaking it in WD40 every 30 minutes or so, by the time you get a socket tomorrow it may have made a difference.

Edited by W0rp3D

mines working well for what its intended for, worn in with in a week and is nice and locked.

now has anyone set the backlash before and do they have part numbers for the backlash shims on the crown wheel?

now my diff does get some hard use now and again and it's started to chirp the rear wheels while driving normaly, straight with good tread tyres etc would this have anything to do with using castrol manual vmx 80 or i figure its also that i have to get backlash set ( as there is some play more then before it was shimmed )?

• 4 weeks later...

I will be considering doing this as my car really does not like giving me two wheels anymore. Straight line I am ice skating everywhere and it is definitely one wheel spinning... I tried to spin the tires(not for show but just to test the diff) and it is definitely only using one wheel when its spinning.. I don't care for burnouts but if I could tighten up the straight line action, that would be great but from reading here it seems this has more effect when the car is sliding/turning/coming out of turns etc and straight line its still a one wheel... Nissan should have made this diff tighter..

• 2 months later...

seems the appropriate thread to ask, anyone removed the pinion out of their diffs??

im in the process of removing mine, have removed the large nut (bloody tight) and splined flange off, the centres already out

tapped the pinion end with hammer lightly with the nut on it, but no movement

suggestions?

post-40640-0-51735100-1324532064_thumb.jpgpost-40640-0-87785900-1324531953_thumb.jpg

seems the appropriate thread to ask, anyone removed the pinion out of their diffs??

im in the process of removing mine, have removed the large nut (bloody tight) and splined flange off, the centres already out

tapped the pinion end with hammer lightly with the nut on it, but no movement

suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

allright dudes,iv just finished with a mate his r33 lsd using 1.2 shims its allright but going more after the weekend,tryed getting 1.49s but nissan can only order them in from japland so i settled with 4- 0.8 and 4- 1.2 so im sure we'll get it good and tight soon,had a wee run there but not to happy but we'll give it a weekend first and c, ill keep yous posted

• 3 months later...