SAU Community

Diy:diff Shimming For R33 Gtst

Trust33

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I pulled my r32 diff apart to shim it and found it had 2 1.10mm shims standard! Already had 2 1.2mm shims to put in it instead of the rumored 2 0.80mm shims, oh well, put in 2 1.10s and a 1.2 total 3.4mm, way too tight! lol. Pulled it back out and put in a 1.49 and 1.2 total 2.51 couldn't really feel it. Then tried a 1.35 and 1.49 total 2.84 not bad, still slightly lacking lock. Then tried 0.75 0.95 and 1.49 total 3.19 too tight again! It is bloody touchy and hard to get spot on! Seems to be either locked or stock, their might be a 0.3mm window that you can fiddle with to get the desired results.

I've seen another diff with 0.75 and 1.35 in it when pulled apart!?

Not sure if after all they are 0.80mm both sides all the time, other people measured their old shims once their out?

Yeah one of my mates used a battery powered snap on rattle gun for his. I headed up to Beaurepairs and the guy there rattled them off for me for free which was nice :P

Just went for a drive then and definitely a big noticable difference using a 1.2mm shim. Clunking and shuddering like a mofo around tight corners haha :D Seems to hook up pretty well though out of corners under power which is just what I was after.

So yeah, all in all pretty pleased so far, will just have to wait till Thurs to see how it holds up at Wakefield...

hey mate, how did the diff hold up at wakefield? would loke to know

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the tutorial, it was easy to do with your instructions. Put 1.49mm shims on both sides and it's REALLY tight now, inner wheel jumping in tight corners. Can't wait to test it on the track. Hope it loosens a bit after some driving, that's what I understood from other posts.

By the way, is there a specific place were the breather hose should be? Couldn't find any.

• 3 weeks later...
hey mate, how did the diff hold up at wakefield? would loke to know

tis a long story haha

you'll be happy to know that swanny180 thoroughly enjoyed the diff at the track as the inside wheel doesnt light up coming out of the tight hairpin.

however a crown wheel bolt dislodged about a week or two later. this broke the diff casing and required an expensive towing of his car! make sure those bolts get done up tight, impact wrench tight.

• 2 weeks later...

Hahaha sorry hadnt seen this earlier... But yep thats basically it.

Brilliant traction out of tight corners, its surprisingly noticable.

Diff is quite clunky and tight on the street, but if it is traction you're after it definitely works.

As IntercooL said I made the mistake of not doing up the crownwheel bolts tight enough, so ended up with a nice big hole in the rear cover of the diff where a bolt made its bid for freedom, and about a litre of diff oil spilt through the uni car park... ...woops? ;)

So yeah moral is that its a decent cheap mod for the track, isn't the best for the street (ie girlfriends don't like it much) but is tolerable, and you NEED to make sure the bolts are loctite'd and done up farkin tight.

Hope that helps :D

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys i did this mod July 2007 (look at page 2 on this thread), just thought id let you all know how its going. One year and three months later, its still the best mod i have done to my car. my car now has 280rwkw, a roll cage, no rear seats, racing seats and harnesses (taking my drifting pretty serious theses days lol) but still after all the mods the diff is still the best. held up perfectly now for 5 full drift track days plus all the street driving i do as well. hasn't missed a beat. GO the shims!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
hey guys i did this mod July 2007 (look at page 2 on this thread), just thought id let you all know how its going. One year and three months later, its still the best mod i have done to my car. my car now has 280rwkw, a roll cage, no rear seats, racing seats and harnesses (taking my drifting pretty serious theses days lol) but still after all the mods the diff is still the best. held up perfectly now for 5 full drift track days plus all the street driving i do as well. hasn't missed a beat. GO the shims!!!!!!

rock on!!

tis a long story haha

you'll be happy to know that swanny180 thoroughly enjoyed the diff at the track as the inside wheel doesnt light up coming out of the tight hairpin.

however a crown wheel bolt dislodged about a week or two later. this broke the diff casing and required an expensive towing of his car! make sure those bolts get done up tight, impact wrench tight.

put some loctite on those bolts and do them up tight. put it on all of them including the housing and the bearing caps not just the crown wheel and pinion

Edited by Trust33

I assume from your for sale ad that yours is still going strong Trust33?

i am tossing up whether to go all out and get a kaaz/nismo 1.5 or 2way, put a spool in it or shim it, judging by this thread shimming seems like a cheap effective option.

would adding a shim to a single spinner make it a shimmed diff & make two wheels spin ?

no will only work with an lsd, if your talking about a skyline though, i believe all are lsd in which case shimming should work.

in the off chance you do have a non lsd then your cheapest option is a mini spool, or welding.

cool thanks mate,

its a NA so yeah no LSD. will just keep hunting for a complete LSD then

Dont be scared of a locker, they are not as nasty as people make them out to be, my diff stuffed up in my old rx7 and a mate locked it, i was too scared to drive it at first (it was raining the day we welded it) because of everything they were saying about a locked diff, but once i drove it i realised its not as bad as people make them out to be, only really notice it on tight round abouts u turns and parking, even then there very manageable, and one your having fun they are very predictable, will always do the same thing at the same point.

Dont know what a spool is worth but if its only $50 then its worth getting one to try it, if you dont like it put it in the for sale thread and get your money back.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

Thinking of doing this to my daily driver... just wondering if you could clear some stuff up for me as ive read through the thread and there seem to be alot of different ideas.

What sort of total shimm should I be looking for?? (2.0mm - 2.8mm?)

Is it better to leave the old shimms in and simply add the extra shimms or to pull the old ones out and replace them with bigger single shimms on either side?

Lastly should I load up each side with the same amount ( 1.2mm either side) or doesn't it really affect it?

Much appreciated guys n awesome writeup.

Cheers

• 1 month later...
Dont be scared of a locker, they are not as nasty as people make them out to be, my diff stuffed up in my old rx7 and a mate locked it, i was too scared to drive it at first (it was raining the day we welded it) because of everything they were saying about a locked diff, but once i drove it i realised its not as bad as people make them out to be, only really notice it on tight round abouts u turns and parking, even then there very manageable, and one your having fun they are very predictable, will always do the same thing at the same point.

Dont know what a spool is worth but if its only $50 then its worth getting one to try it, if you dont like it put it in the for sale thread and get your money back.

yeh i had a locker in my old onevia. didn't like it for daily street driving (drifts and donuts are awesome tho) too harsh when i do low speed turns/parking etc. the sound got annoying after awhile.