SAU Community

Diy:diff Shimming For R33 Gtst

Trust33

update .

been drifting for over a year now . no issues . fully locked . no noises ever just tyres doing there thing .

Great to hear!

I picked up some shims on the weekend, grabbed a pair of 1.1 and a pair of 1.49, going to shim up my old 32gtst diff and chuck it in the wagoon :happy:

• 4 weeks later...

shimmed my diff added 0.6mm and now its locked :blink: damn it

up from 1.1 and 0.8 to 1.4 and 1.1, thinking i might pull it apart and go back to original as i dont think this will work for hillclimbs :bunny:

(not sure if its locked 100% but it seems to be ie skips a little on tar.)

Edited by Tiop

yeah that sounds just like what i want Rolls :bunny:

"throw's burnout in rage" some people have suggested giveing it a chance to "wear in"

maybe my diff was in good nic before arrg. guess the nismo 1.5 would beat a good nic stocker.

Edited by Tiop

on pulling the diff back apart and looking at how it actually works, ive found that the shims just bind the spider gears up and so it is just a locker. atleast with my viscous lsd so may as well just wield it up really or get a mini spool.

I recently Shimmed up my stock diff in my R33 and it works a treat. I increased my overall shim size by 20%. I had a 0.8mm and 1.20mm shims in my center. I replace these with a 1.01mm and a 1.40mm. Seems to be better and is not locked too hard. Tight cornering doesn't make the wheel skip. I think that i could have went a little more shim just to get a bit better result, but seems to be not too bad. I had very little difficulty getting the diff center back into the housing with this amount of shim. :)

I used 50% extra shim on my 200sx and that ended up being locked solid. Also i had a hard time getting the diff center back into the housing.

Based on my experiences now, if i was to do this again i would aim for 25-30% extra shim than the stock.

PS: it is possible to undo the rear mounting bolts on the diff housing, without removing the HICAS motor unit. I just used uni joints on my socket set.

i added 1.49mm shims to both sides, the car is very predictable now, hasnt singled once, mind you it was a locker at the start, but now 6months later is just PERFECT, awesome cheap mod

• 4 weeks later...

Had my diff guy install the LSD centre out of my 32gtst that I shimmed up, in to the Stageas housing.

Upon opening the diff, discovered it had a 0.8mm on one side and 1.4mm on the other, I replaced these with 1.49mm on both sides.

It's pretty tight, can feel it doing it's thing similar to the 2-way in my skyline but not as harsh.

Very predictable now, the open centre in 2WD mode was just downright scary! The mrs hopes it wears in and stops skipping though hehe

Sorry jet2nv, can't help there but I feel I must report on the results of my shimming..

Now the car was originally open centre but I did have this diff in my 32 before I replaced it with a 2-way. When it was in the 32 it was getting tired and liked to open up.

Now shimmed up and in the wagon, it's awesome! Lots of fun times since installing a week ago, is gradually getting less hrash and I have been punishing it quite severely. Time will tell how the shims wear but hopefully it doesn't start opening up anytime soon.

Excellent bang for buck mod, cost me $200 more than it should but that's because I was swapping the carrier in to a new housing, I felt I should get it set up properly as it's my daily driver.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just posting up my own experiences as I've done a couple of these diffs now..

My own 33, approx 120,00km, diff would always open wheel. Put in 1x1.49mm + the stock shims, diff would lock on long wide corners but after 2 or so skids when the oil is warm it would again open wheel. Now have 2x1.49mm and have taken 1 stock shim out, diff stays locked a little longer but not much different. Next step is 3x1.49, this would be way over kill for most people but clearly my diff is stuffed.

Another 33 diff around the same age, put in 1x1.49 and it was completely locked. Took out one of the stock shims now the diff locks well and realiably.

• 5 weeks later...

Does anyone know the outer/inner diameter of the shim so that i can make my own in a lathe?

just buy them from Nissan, like $6 or something, pretty sure the metal would cost more than that if you made them yourself, plus there's a possibility of stuffing it up.

hi guys, instead of making a new thread ill just post in here since its relevant

i purchased a diff some time ago, and it shudders and chirps the inside wheel when turning sharply as one of the posters said earlier, could this indicate it has been shimmed?

the shudder is quite dirty/messy and painfull to deal with.

Sounds more like a stupid basically locked 2 way mech lsd, take it to a diff shop and I am sure they can take some preload out of it, most likely in the form of shims.

Never under stood the point in getting a 2 way lsd that is so tight it chirps around corners.