SAU Community

Stagea Fuel Economy

RUS

Just a side note...i found that after letting my RB breathe with an exhaust it is a lot easier to drive around off bost - thus improving my fuel economy - as i can use the natural torque of the engine around town, leave it out of overdrive around town so the power doesn't go to the slush box (lock -out torque converter) and whalla - i have better fuel economy :P

Ive been peddling mine around town on low boost (18psi) and have only let it go a few times. 330kms with just under a quarter left in the tank. Im wrapped. Should get 400kms to the tank around town.

fo sho it is

i just clocked out 280KM on my last tank i jsut filled up 44USD a tank

Thats sweet F/a cheap. 60litresx 1.35 = $80 , $44US is CHEAP.

Now I am lucky. I live in the BEST place in OZ to own a Stag. Ask Ska.(thats funnnnniieee) The roads here were built by the inventor of the corkscrew, and the only way up, or down, is at about 20 degrees.

I get 15/16l per 100 average. At my age I consider it cheap entertainment.

I used to, but dont smoke now. Two or three packs of fags. $30. I brew my own beer and love it. $30. That covers my petrol.

I have always said "Buy a Bombadoor and Gas It".

As the Jap ads say, it is a great family (business) waggon with oomph.

haha tell me about it hugh

we went up mt tambourine when we were in qld last

plenty of rubber up there :)

When and what colour?

The rubber cant be mine, 4WD, prolly my S13 Drifter son.

• 2 weeks later...
... leave it out of overdrive around town so the power doesn't go to the slush box (lock -out torque converter) and whalla - i have better fuel economy :wub:

Is that right? I'd have thought running 4 gears around town would help with fuel economy instead of the other way around?

Is that right? I'd have thought running 4 gears around town would help with fuel economy instead of the other way around?

Same here, I thought letting it run in 4th round town will save on fuel, due to lower revs etc.

Mine sits around 1600rpm when sitting on 50-60km/h but is up over 2000rpm in 3rd (I know cos it doesn't hit 4th until the transmission warms up).

• 3 weeks later...
Thats sweet F/a cheap. 60litresx 1.35 = $80 , $44US is CHEAP.

Now I am lucky. I live in the BEST place in OZ to own a Stag. Ask Ska.(thats funnnnniieee) The roads here were built by the inventor of the corkscrew, and the only way up, or down, is at about 20 degrees.

I get 15/16l per 100 average. At my age I consider it cheap entertainment.

I used to, but dont smoke now. Two or three packs of fags. $30. I brew my own beer and love it. $30. That covers my petrol.

I have always said "Buy a Bombadoor and Gas It".

As the Jap ads say, it is a great family (business) waggon with oomph.

Now you are lucky.

Over here in NZ where we pay about $1.65/L, it cost me just under $100 to fill up from empty, for about 300kms from the tank. That is for cruising aroung town. (~14-15L/100km).

My highway figures are good though, at 7.5L/100km.

All this from a non-turbo stock standard RWD.

Hate to really disappoint you guys with RB25 Stageas, but the 260RS gets almost 400 km from every tank. which calculates to average around 14-16 l/100km.

i assume the tanks are the same size, so the RB25's must be gas guzzling things!!!

Edited by Herbietjh

no...cause in townsville (the land of 70kmph roundabouts, you are forever accelerating from 50km/hr to 70.. you are in overdrive, and so when you accelerate gently the torque converter takes up all the power, (you're in a high gear, with no torque lock because you have been back off the throttle). so you keep gently squeezing on the gas until you acelerate, but instead of the gears droping down into 3rd, it starts to lock up the torque converter, now if i was at 40 accelerating to 60 this wouldn't be an issue, but that extra 10km/h means that it doesn't drop down. You will be at higher revs so the turbo is ready and waiting to spool up, and it does,

so instead of accelerating at 3000rpm

with no boost in 3rd gear

Using natural torque of the engine at 0psi and a more acceleration friendly gear ratio

with the power going directly to the wheels cause the lock out torque converter is 'locking out' the slushiness

you inf act are accelerating at 2500rpm

with 10psi boost,

the stock ECU dumping fuel into your cylinders

and all the power going no-where except to the O/D

If i am ever in a straight line for a bit or cruising around, i slip it into O/D for a bit, but on approaching twisties i slip it back into 3rd

I am also experiment with keeping the A/T mode slector on POWER mode so that it shifts down instead of building boost, but i am finding it still seems to hold on to 3rd a little too long when doing the straight and narrow thing....although this may just come down to fine tuning my driving style when in 'POWER' mode for the auto trans.

It's like Ska said when he was doing his fuel efficiency testing, he selected lower gears going up hills instead of a higher gear with more boost.

Boost is what kills your fuel economy, not rpm.

higher revs with no boost

is better than medium revs with lots of boost and no power transfer to the wheels :)

I wasn't happy with my S2 when I first got it. But once I decided that I didn't have to use the boost all the time, it made a huge difference to the economy.

Exactly, John :)

Hate to really disappoint you guys with RB25 Stageas, but the 260RS gets almost 400 km from every tank. which calculates to average around 14-16 l/100km.

i assume the tanks are the same size, so the RB25's must be gas guzzling things!!!

I thought that too when I calculated 14-15L/100 for around town, but my highway figures turned out at 7.5L/100k, which could mean an optimistic 800km from a single tank.

Must be all that stopping and starting stuck in traffic, pushing up the figures.

Or maybe the missus is trying to take everyone on at the lights!

Whats the best way to better the fuel consumption without driving like an old lady? Extractors and a big bore or a computer tweak?

Edited by BlueStagea

Sliding Performance rb25 highflow turbo ;)

that way you dont ramp up on boost until a bit later in the rev range (not a huge deal of difference compared to stock turbo)....

by not getting onto boost until slightly further up the rev range (200rpm?) you save fuel in city traffic

good excuse anyway to highflow the turbo :)

we dont get non-turbo versions in Australia, sorry cant help.

replace the Oxygen sensor

replace the fuel filter

get a SAFC and have the airfuel ratio dynotuned

use a good engine oil

check the cat converter and make sure it isnt blocked

use hi-RON fuel

strip off some weight (not you, the car!)