SAU Community

Fuel Pump In R33

After having issues with a 2nd hand GTR fuel pump I am looking at putting a new pump in.

I see that the bosch 910 is meant to be a good pump but is it an external pump?

I hear people mounting these intank where they are meant to be external??

I want to keep the pump in the tank

What is the main difference between external and external - is it more to do with the pickup? Or should an external not be submerged in fuel?

I see on the tomei pump they are mounted at the top of the stalk with a hose down to the filter sock.

So are the tomei considered internal or external?

I have heard the tomei can be a little noisy and pricey (I have already bought the seal aswell)

So choices are Walbro, Bosch 910, Bosch 040 or bosch 044.

I don't want to touch the wiring going to the top of the pump but obviously will need to change the connectors to the pump (that's fine).

many thanks

Edited by benl1981

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Bosch 910 pump is only rated to flow ~400hp. If thats all your after then throw a walbro in.

Walbro's are good pumps for low power levels but start pushing 450+hp and don't mess around and throw in either a Bosch 044 or Tomei/Nismo pump.

All bosch pumps can be mounted in tank with only slight modifications.

Generally....

Bosch 910, 200 l/hr @ 5 bar (73.5psi), supports 220 rwkw

Bosch 975, 228 l/hr @ 5 bar (73.5psi), supports 250 rwkw

Bosch 984, 228 l/hr @ 5 bar (73.5psi), supports 250 rwkw

Bosch 040, 235 l/hr @ 5 bar (73.5psi), supports 260 rwkw

Bosch 044, 330 l/hr @ 5 bar (73.5psi), supports 360 rwkw

'Apparently' running a check valve on the 044 helps prevent cavitation and keep it quiet.

Tomei is further up the stem but still an 'in tank' pump.

External pumps are exactly that, the pump is outside the tank. ie, in some cases you can pop the boot and see it strapped to a wall somewhere.

People have been having issues with 044's so be aware of that. Not everyone, just some.

Some peeps recommend steering clear of Walbros' too (where are you R31Nismoid ?) :teehee:

I know people have different budgets so it's really up to you.

But for me the $340 delivered for the Tomei was the best option.

Beats all of the above for flow rates and is already designed to slot straight in.

You on the Central Coast?

I can let you have a listen if you like

Thanks Birnie but I'm down in Sydney.

The tomei is a good thing by the sounds of it but was exploring other options for noise and cost reasons.

Yeah, some people say walbro will be good up to 250rwkw others have had trouble.

I would like a pump that I can attach the stock sock to. It sounds like people have used the 910 pump inside the tank.

The 040 pump doesn't really have a pick up on it so people just say they move the pump lower down.

I thought if I could get a pump that you can fit a hose to (still mounting internally) then I could fit the stock sock lower down to the end of the hose - similar to the tomei setup..

Cheers

Just a personal experience on this topic, not sure if your planning on doing the work yourself, or if your not as much of a muppet as me, i went down the 910 path a few months ago to support some minor mods (figured 040 would be overkill for my needs) but mainly for piece of mind for future mods (figured 040 would be overkill for my needs), you have to straighen the bottom the pump cradle to fit the 910 intank and saw off bout 2inch's off the return pipe so it woudl fit (there is a DIY for a 040, similar pump) make sure you can source a fuel sock before you buy try the install, i think it needs to be I.Dia 14mm. The monkeys at bursons couldn't find me one without a part number, or any fuel sock for that matter, i ended up burning the pump out after running it for 2 weeks without a sock, ran the tank below the pickup of the pump one nite, (within 5km of fuel light coming on) couldn't get the car started again after refilling the tank. I had the intake of the 910 less than 12mm off the bottom of the tank. Also the return on the 910 is too big for standard hose diameter to fit easily over, you will have to compromise between too loose in the tank or too tight on the pump (don't force a too small hose onto the outlet, the inside sheath of the hose might twist,whilst still looking fine on the outside). Long story short, had my fuel pump in and out 5 times over a space of a few weeks, i bought my 910 for $90 on ebay brand new, ended up buying a Denso pump from a supra (brand new) with a sock and all connections of ebay for $200ish, they are supposed to flow aswell or better than 040, fit into the pump cradle without any modifications, don't make any noise and are more resilient to running low/dry then bosch pumps, i read heaps of threads before doing the install myself, wish i never went down the bosch path.

I've heard a few good things about the densos. Have you got yours in all working now. Thanks for your long post :huh: Sounds like you went through some pain..

Was it brand new off ebay? Did it come from the US?

What did you search via a part no.?

Cheers

Edited by benl1981

Will check the part no. on the box when i get home if i still have it, denso 300l/hr, it was from http://stores.ebay.com.au/PERFORMANCE-WORLD-STORE, i checked they don't have any on there at the moment but mayb email them, not sure if any1 else has purchased from this store, they are in melb, very good service. They sell lots of other ones aswell (mayb a maxima VG30 pump might be a better option to 910 at same price). People might swear by bosch pumps but they aren't the be all and end all if your not chasing super power figures, i personally know 2 other cases with '040's that have ran their cars low/dry with these pumps and ceased (much more of a prick to change a pump on a s14), i think mayb has something to do with their design that allows them to flow high rates at low pressures but use the fuel to cool them down, if they run dry something gets hot and fuses to something else (sorry for lack of technical lingo). Mayb thats why they are so bulky. The 910 i had was mounted with rubber and without, it didn't make a difference to the noise, you couldn't hear it either way. I had to borrow an interim pump whilst the denso arrived, it looked like a maxima pump (had a funny thing sticking out of the top) it was really noisy and fluctuated when you revved the car off idle, (sounded tough), it was mounted exactly the same position as stock in a mates car for 2-3years before i had to borrow it.

One thing i highly recommend is if you are doing it yourself put the O-ring in the freezer like it says in the DIY section, i got lazy on the third of fourth time i had the pump out and let it dry out, it stretched and i had to cut it to make it fit, it started venting fumes through the cabin, drove round like that for 2 weeks before i could get down to nissan to buy a new one (only $5).

be really careful on the flow rates - Some are rated at 42psi, and some are rated at 73psi.

Just remember that the R33 has a 42psi rail, and then add your boost on top of that. I run 18psi so that means my pump needed to push 60psi.

I originally had a walboro 255lph pump, and yeah it was 255lph....at 40psi! As soon as the pump goes from 60psi - 70psi it almost halves in flow.

I now have a Nismo 275lph pump on order.

so does that mean my 33 isnt getting enough flow if im running 10psi on my stock pump??? ive just got basic mods and hopefully puching out around 180rwkw. should i be fine, or should i get an aftermarket pump? im only wanting around 200rwkw for now, and for a while...

thanks

jake

well, 200rwkw is fine on the stock pump but I'd be changing it anyway. The stock pump is old, and you are only putting strain on it, and if it dies, the engine goes BOOM!.

hehe

Nismo drop in replacements are abut $400 from nengun. Its completely factory fitting, no mucking around what so ever.

Edited by The Mafia

yep, I've got one. Provided you've installed it preoperly, and it's not rattling, that's how they are. No softer when in a gtr.

All big pumps are loud. Tomei/nismo is no different. I've installed them both, and it sounds identical

• 1 month later...
But for me the $340 delivered for the Tomei was the best option.

Where did you get your Tomei for $340 inc delivery? Nengun is $370 at the moment.

From all the threads ive read, Nismo and Tomei are on par with each other. Can anyone name a reason why one is more preferable than the other?