SAU Community

Brake Pads Users Ratings Guide

On 4/27/2017 at 8:14 PM, nick_33 said:

Bought Intima SR's from Johnny a while ago, they held up pretty good at Sandown, once hot they stopped awesome just felt I had to apply quite a bit of pedal pressure. Appart from the low speed sqeal I can't complain and Johnny was awesome to deal with

glad to hear about the squeal, it's been driving me nuts thinking i've done something wrong when installing, even used that stop squeal stuff on the shims, bah

21 minutes ago, GTofuS-T said:

glad to hear about the squeal, it's been driving me nuts thinking i've done something wrong when installing, even used that stop squeal stuff on the shims, bah

I've had next to no squeal with mine. I've gone through 1 x SR and 1 x Type D, im now on a 2nd set of Type D. All on the same set of rotors, actually measured the thickness on the last change and have only chewed 0.2mm off them. Im pretty happy with my whole experience with Intima and the dosepipes services. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

R34 Gtt 

600rwhp used in time attack 

Stock calipers 

DBA T3 rotors front 

Stock rotors rear 

Forza FR6 front pads 

Forza. FR3 rear pads 

Rotors lasted 2 track days ( kinda ) 

Pads did a fantastic job and trying to hold onto my rotors while they were close to liquid 

Would buy again, worked great on the street no sqeale and not that dusty until you took them to the track but you get that.

Front pads lasted 2 track days and 1000km of street driving 15% remaining 

Rear pads have now been removed and had about 70% left  

So to dig up an old post, what has everyone found to be the best street/hard driving pad over the past few years? Which produce the least amount of dust?

Should make up a poll. 

1 hour ago, MrRx7s3 said:

So to dig up an old post, what has everyone found to be the best street/hard driving pad over the past few years? Which produce the least amount of dust?

Should make up a poll. 

Or you could read the thread.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KiwiRS4T said:

Or you could read the thread.

Have read the thread, and so many different opinions... also this thread is a few years old, was wondering if anyone has any updates, everything improves over time. There might be some new pads out there, some companies might have changed their "formula" resulting in their pads not being as good as they were 2 years ago?

Thanks for your smartarse comment, helped everyone a ton, all hail kiwirs4t and dosepipesututu.  

In that case might aswell shut down the forum now, I'm quite sure everything has been covered already and people should just "read the threads".

Edited by MrRx7s3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, MrRx7s3 said:

Have read the thread, and so many different opinions... also this thread is a few years old, was wondering if anyone has any updates, everything improves over time. There might be some new pads out there, some companies might have changed their "formula" resulting in their pads not being as good as they were 2 years ago?

Thanks for your smartarse comment, helped everyone a ton, all hail kiwirs4t and dosepipesututu.  

In that case might aswell shut down the forum now, I'm quite sure everything has been covered already and people should just "read the threads".

It would be great if people would read the threads on topics covered 1000 times before. 

It's also be great if people who thoughts things might have changed would ask questions about the products that were good 5 years ago, such as "I saw people liked X, y, z,  are these still good, I can see they're still current, OR they've been replaced it appears by T, H, y, has anyone used those ones, are they just as good/better?

• Like 1

fwiw. After 150k km's and two track days early on, my Nizmo pads are close to needing replacement. I cant fault the longevity or performance and the dusting is quite reasonably low. Rotors have faired well too. If I can find them (poss Nengun) I'll definitely use them again no hesitation.

1 hour ago, mosoto said:

fwiw. After 150k km's and two track days early on, my Nizmo pads are close to needing replacement. I cant fault the longevity or performance and the dusting is quite reasonably low. Rotors have faired well too. If I can find them (poss Nengun) I'll definitely use them again no hesitation.

Try turning the pads around, should get at least another 150k kms out of them.

• 2 months later...

A bit of a thread bump, so we all know I sell brake pads, rotors, etc. on the side and yes I sneakily do it here on SAU to help members and always get cheeky comments from @niZmO_Man to be a forum sponsor but I prefer to give SAU members a better price than pay for the fee and charge members more :)

Anyway, generally I don't recommend track pads for street use due to the fact you need a bit of heat in them before they actually work. In the past, I would never recommend Intima Type-D pads for street use because when I ran them on my track/street car I found them extremely terrible in cold conditions, to some what nearly dangerous!

However, moving forward a couple of years, Intima have released a new compound called (you've guessed it) Type-D v2.0! Knowing the guys at Intima, they gave me a set to test out :D (I'm Asian so love free shit). The pads still physically look the same, however with the new compound the new heat range means you can run them when they're cold being now 0 to 850 degrees Celsius.

As you all know, my car has been off the road for sometime and since I've got it running, it hasn't seen any form of track work/mountain drive work, etc. except a skid pan at SMSP, this meant I never got to stretch its legs out nor put the brakes/power to the test our the new pads. BUT...... just last Saturday, a couple of other SAU members and myself decided to go through Putty Road, all the way to Singleton.

To my surprise, these pads actually stop when cold, there's no need to heat up the pads/rotors, as advertised they actually stop from cold! Albeit, not as good as the Intima SRs when cold., but they actually work! Once warmed up, and we picked up our pace I was pleasantly surprised the brakes carry through with their well known progressive feel, i.e. progressive pedal effort instead of instant throw you into the dashboard stopping power (which is not good, as you're prone to locking). 

Experienced Zero brake fade the entire cruise to Singleton and back and the once there was a little heat on the pads/rotors the braking was very predictable and very progressive. 

From my experience, I am confident these will be great on the track (whenever I decide to take my car out again), for now it's parked in the backyard on the C-TEK.

Disclaimer: Sponsored Pads, running 350Z Brembo calipers and Nankang AR-1 255/40/18 all around

• Like 3

Must agree there Johnny!!
My mate put on the Type-D v2.0's on his daily street/track 180 and they work great (Thanks again Johnny, and while you were over seas on holidays too!! What a legend!) . He was going to just use them at the track only, but due to limited time, he drove to the track (Wollongong to Wakefield Park), did 6 sessions and drove home. They were great the whole day, and held up well, even on the run down Macquarie pass lol. They are still on his car now 4 months later lol

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

QFM has gone bust it seems, if there are any QFM fans here's your time to score brake pads for like $10

https://www.lloydsonline.com.au/AuctionLots.aspx?cid=5&smode=0&_ga=2.135070065.1566686899.1574114891-615684107.1574114891

Okay for street, not for track (nearly put my car into a wall).

• 6 months later...

Car M35 Stagea, 350z track Brembos all round , street only.

QFM HPX were brilliant, lasted more than 2 years, heavy towing too.

Forza FP2 were terrible.

Whilst initial bite was a bit better, these pads warped my rotors in less than a week.

• 1 month later...

I currently run two sets of pads on the R34 Skyline GTT (note i am running 350mm Evo X rotors ont he front and 350mm 370Z rotors on the rear and Evo 9 Brembos all round with the Alpha Omega Kit).

I have decided that one pads cant do two jobs well. So now run Ferodo DSUno for track days, they bite hard and have little fade. Really good track pad. And then I swap pads to Ferodo DS2500 for the street, good cold bite and no squeal.

Good thing is they share the same basic pad material so the same rotor can be used when swapping pads and no need to bed in the brakes again.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A quick review of the Elig pads I got from @Dose Pipe Sutututu

R33 calipers, rda/dba rotors at minimum thickness, penrite 600f fluid, HEL braided lines. 

Elig Racing pads front 

Elig Sport pads rear

Good bite from cold and consistent when hot. Did 5x 20min sessions with 2 big applications a lap from 180kph. Still got plenty of thickness on the pads but rotors are done. Dust isn't too bad for the type of pad. If wanting something decent on a budget they are the way to go. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, robbo_rb180 said:

A quick review of the Elig pads I got from @Dose Pipe Sutututu

R33 calipers, rda/dba rotors at minimum thickness, penrite 600f fluid, HEL braided lines. 

Elig Racing pads front 

Elig Sport pads rear

Good bite from cold and consistent when hot. Did 5x 20min sessions with 2 big applications a lap from 180kph. Still got plenty of thickness on the pads but rotors are done. Dust isn't too bad for the type of pad. If wanting something decent on a budget they are the way to go. 

I too am running the same pads but with brand new DBA rotors.

Had originally purchased for my SIL80 with R33 Gtst brakes but after deciding to move that on I kept these and fitted to my 32 GTR.

Very happy with their performance but as my intended use changed somewhat (purchased originally for a more track oriented car, but installed on a more street oriented car) I'd say I won't go the race front pads next time purely from a noise point of view, people hear me coming from the brake squeal over the engine noise ;) 

• Like 2