SAU Community

Xtreme Clutch - Test Drive?

MearCat

I might be up for a new clutch as mine is acting up a bit - shuddering and squealing like a b!tch - more than usual but not sure exactly what's up until I get the gearbox dropped.

I was wondering whether there is anyone with a Xtreme 7 or 9 puck ceramic clutch in their car that I could take for a drive just to see exactly what it drives like? I live in Heathridge (NOR). I've heard some good things about them but I'd like to speak to someone who has upwards of 300+ rwhp (as does my r33).

-Alan

I have a 9-puck & over 400 with no problems, still drives fine :)

That's what I like to hear :) How long have you had it installed?

Also - how much are the clutches for R33? and how much also to do get installed? Prices will differ depending on where it was done I assume.

That's what I like to hear :O How long have you had it installed?

Also - how much are the clutches for R33? and how much also to do get installed? Prices will differ depending on where it was done I assume.

Had it for about a year or maybe less now. 350rwhp when I got it, 385 for most of it & over 400 at the moment. Cost me around the $900 mark installed *I think*

• 3 weeks later...

yer im lookin into getting an xtreme 9 puk, r they good on the street and drive like normal? or are they either in or out if u no wat i mean? all answers much appreciated

The 9 puck with a 'sprung centre' friction plate and the stock pressure plate is very good. People frequently over-do the pressure plate. The clamping force on the stock R33 unit is quite sufficient for a street driven car. The friction plate does all the work it just needs 'enough' pressure to make it work.

The same 9 puck friction plate is in a friends 300+rwkw GTR and has covered 30,000kms of aggressive driving.

My old R33 I setup with the 9 puck friction plate and factory stock pressure plate, it feels exactly like stock. It was a low 13/high 12 car and at one stage had a 100+rwhp extra shot of nitrous before selling the kit off to 2rismo over east. So that was plenty of torque and power with no slip. Go extra clamping pressure for more aggressive sustained high rpm driving (like circuit or drift), the trade off is pedal effort and wear on the clutch components.

Bung a light weight chromemolly flywheel in while your at it.

i got a 9 puck extreme clutch put in about 2 months ago and feels pretty much stock except it springs back a little bit quicker. if you didnt know it was in i dont think you could tell plus i drive it on the street and its easy...the old man drove it and hes got a dodgy knee and found it alright so cant be too bad haha

• 1 month later...

thread revival. Just to reconfirm. It's pretty drivable day to day right?

Will be throwing in a lightened flywheel as well.

I might be getting it soon due to my clutch giving way.