SAU Community

Weekend Tinkering

Craved

Well i spent a couple of hours on saturday making up an alloy washer bottle for the 33.

Aftertaking measurements from the std washer bottle i made up some templates and had a crack at making a washer bottle to fit the std r33 location.

with this one i didnt take pics as i went along, but i will with the next one i make up as i made a couple of mistakes on this one and im a little bit of a perfectionist when it comes to things like this.

Technically this is stage 2 of making a washer bottle as i made one up last weekend to mimic the design of the standard bottle but this new one has alot smoother lines and will look nicer in the engine bay.

Firstly i cut up the 2 side pieces (table saw with a wood blade as alloy blade is on order) in lengths that would enable me to bend up a U shape and the second piece with a slight bend, the bends i made up with my hafco panbrake that i recently purchased.

Tacked those 2 pieces together then traced out the top and bottom pieces from the tacked side with approx 1.5mm inset to allow for the weld.

cut the top pieces out on the band saw.

then welded up a few sides to ensure the regidity of the piece. Marked out the pump holes and then used a hole saw to cut out the holes, this was required at this stage to allow for air expansion inside the piece as i welded.

Welded up the rest of the sides, still need to setup a jig for the mounting brackets then weld on the Filler cap.

here are a couple of pics from Saturdays effort. This shows the bottom of the bottle with the holes for the pumps.

post-5157-1182694673_thumb.jpg

post-5157-1182694694_thumb.jpg

post-5157-1182694909_thumb.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

nice mate nice

now all u gota do is get throw it to the shit kicking polishers at work (if u work at a factory) and get them to mirror polish it !!!

hahahahah i wish

nah i do this at home .. i work in IT doing night shifts - this is a hobby

Those are some fantastic welds for a someone who usually brandishes a mouse curser over an AD console :)

Inspiring

hahah thanks

have made the jig for the mounting points, hopefully get some time this weekend to get the mounts welded onto this washer bottle.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah i guess i could

finished of my jig for the mounts, but spent the weekend away making farm fences and ordered my new 8" bench grinder and polishing wheels today... so should be able to polish the unit up during this week, ready for the mounts and filler on the weekend

yeah i guess i could

finished of my jig for the mounts, but spent the weekend away making farm fences and ordered my new 8" bench grinder and polishing wheels today... so should be able to polish the unit up during this week, ready for the mounts and filler on the weekend

sweet good work man, i'll keep checkin back here for final pics and if it looks the goods i'll think about buying one off ya if you decide to go down that path :P

• 2 months later...

any update on this yet mate?

I've seen a few engine bay shots of guys that seem to have replaced the factory washer bottle with a metal 1 like yours, but half is a washer bottle and half is a catch can....

wouldnt mind 1 of those for my car...anyone know if you can buy em off the shelf so to speak?

Yeah there was a thread on those a while ago. As i said before, the original design for the washer bottle/catch can is an ARC design, but they've stopped production of it.

So you can either hunt around for those and wait for one to pop up, or you could just get a copy from this company Essential in Japan. They sell 'em on Yahoo Auctions Japan :)

Yeah there was a thread on those a while ago. As i said before, the original design for the washer bottle/catch can is an ARC design, but they've stopped production of it.

So you can either hunt around for those and wait for one to pop up, or you could just get a copy from this company Essential in Japan. They sell 'em on Yahoo Auctions Japan :)

thanks mate, i'll keep an eye out ;)

heya, yep been busy building a new shed and a couple other projects, i'll be trialling a washer/catch can replacement shortly once the building is complete (hopefully tomorrow)

once i get the first one done here , i'll be getting the templates cut out by a mate with access to a programmable guillotine.