Just bought a 2007 V36 sedan, the quotes I got are as follows:

NRMA - $1758

Suncorp - $2361

Justcar- $1554

AI Insurance - $1065

44 y.o. regular driver, 41 y.o. additional driver

Both Rating 1

Both Clean driving history

I asked AI about choice of repairer and they said they do provide choice, it comes down to cost of repairs vs their preferred providors which is always the case anyway. AI also provided agreed value of $30500 vs. Just Car who would only give me $28,750. The other thing about AI is that cos I'm old I could exclude drives under 35 and lower my premium.

Only one problem with AI, no own choice of repairer. They have a list of 1000 repairers, according to their FAQ, for the customer to choose from.

No thanks. I'm paying Shannons $2700 a year for my '09 V36 coupe ($55k agreed value) and that's good peace of mind for me.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On my R34 GT-R and being a 63 yr old, Brad...

Lumleys SV Insurance Premium = $1,190pa (with choice of repairer, all windows covered including 1/4, sum insured is over $100K)

BTW, Welcome to SAU :)

• 3 weeks later...

When i was with HBF they had a 20% drop in value every year for all imports. Was just their standard policy and I had to provide an independant valuation to get the agreed value increased.

HBF don't do Imports anymore. Just tried to get the new car insured on top of my other policy... a big no go. So much for looking after thier members!!

Went with Shannons, although feeling a bit jipped at my age with rating 1 getting charged $1046.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys. So last night i was driving down anzac pde, green light going straight then suddenly this guy from the opposing lane turns right and wings the right rear of my car, made me spin out too. Both cars had to get towed.

Police was called to the incident and the fault lies with him for not giving way. The towing company is telling me not to go to my insurance company and reporting this incident as they will go after his insurance for third party or something?

Can someone explain to me wth is going on? This is my first accident so i'm not too sure of the standard procedures.

You inform your insurance and give them the details and the police report and they will sort it out. You shouldn't have to pay your excess as you are not at fault. It will all get claimed with his insurance but your insurance will organize that for you.

The towing company is telling me not to go to my insurance company and reporting this incident as they will go after his insurance for third party or something?

Don't listen to the towing company.. abosolutly you should tell your insurance company, this is exactly why you pay them all that $$. As Paul stated, give them the details and the police report or report number, and they will deal with the rest

HBF don't do Imports anymore. Just tried to get the new car insured on top of my other policy... a big no go. So much for looking after thier members!!

Went with Shannons, although feeling a bit jipped at my age with rating 1 getting charged $1046.

I cannot confirm whether HBF still cover imports but when I signed up with my RX7 and when asking for a quote for my V36, I had to go into a branch for them to do it. As imports are a tiny % of their business, they needed to use a special code in their system to enable it to produce a quote. None of the call centre employees ever know this code and some staff in the branch didn't seem to know it but the more senior ones do. Imports have also never shown up in their online quote system but they definitely did cover them at one stage.

This may have changed in the 12 months since i got a quote from them but , if you havn't already, it might be worth going into a branch to double check this. With my V they gave the lowest $$$ quote out of everyone, the only reason that I didnt go go with them was that Shannans dont have the 20% per year depreciation rule and they agreed to match the HBF quote plus add hire car and free window replacement at no extra cost. I think that somehow I ran into the best Shannans rep in the country to pull that one off!

BTW, 32yo, no history (except for other assholes crashing into me), full no claim bonus, mid $40k agreed value = $1400/year. $300 excess i think.

Don't listen to the towing company.. abosolutly you should tell your insurance company, this is exactly why you pay them all that $$. As Paul stated, give them the details and the police report or report number, and they will deal with the rest

Cheers guys,

I've told my insurance company about the incident and their telling me to wait till Monday for his insurance company to send out an assessor and decide whether or not to repair it or write it off. So far their estimating the damage to be around 15-17k. :/

ouch.. with those repair figures a write off is a possibility.. how much is it insured for? If the insured value is $20k or under, I would expect them to write it off.

Insured for 18k. but i've spent like over 3.5k getting it fixed up. Power windows, locks, brakes, rotors, tires and other stuff like dash kit and head units because the stock one was broken and couldn't play anything.....also just paid 450 bux to get a spare key a few days ago :down:

Not sure if they count that in....

Edit: Also 18k is under insured. NRMA wouldn't let me put down more they only put down the value i purchased it even when i told them it might cost me a few extra g's to get it all fixed up. By the way what's the market value for our cars?

Edited by Marshan

ouch.. with those repair figures a write off is a possibility.. how much is it insured for? If the insured value is $20k or under, I would expect them to write it off.

Good news!

Just spoke to the mech and he said the other party is admitting fault and their insurance is paying for the repair. Phew!! :worship:

I get to keep my baby :laugh:

Good news!

Just spoke to the mech and he said the other party is admitting fault and their insurance is paying for the repair. Phew!! :worship:

I get to keep my baby :laugh:

Excellent news mate! Any news on how long to repair?

Excellent news mate! Any news on how long to repair?

The guy said no idea roughly 2-3 weeks depends on how fast they ship the parts from japan.

But god damn it that car handled well even when i spun out lol

The guy said no idea roughly 2-3 weeks depends on how fast they ship the parts from japan.

But god damn it that car handled well even when i spun out lol

Did the coppers accuse you of hooning when you spun out because you're an import driver?

Did the coppers accuse you of hooning when you spun out because you're an import driver?

Nah, there were several witnesses that saw him turn when he wasn't suppose to. However i did have 2 mates in the car and being winter we all had hoodies lol.

When we were waiting for the police to arrive we did get drivers past us and shake their heads haha. We did look sus though (3 youths in hoodies on a friday night next to a crashed import).

• 11 months later...

Thought id just jog this thread again.

25yr old

2001 300gt

factory options: body kit, front & rear cameras, cruise control and adjustable muffler.

agreed value of $14000

justcar = $1236 per year. $450 premium

• 7 months later...

Thought id give this one a bit of a bump up the top. Need a bit of advice or guidance on whats the best thing to do.

since mine is up for renewal in april, i have started searching around. i've decided to go for the high excess to bring my annual premium down a bit.

Justcar : $734 ($1,700 excess & Rating 1 protection. Agreed value $19,250)
Suncorp: $657.70 ($2,100 excess, glass cover , Agreed value $18,000)
AI insurance: $857 ($1800 excess, windscreen cover)
(based on a 26 y/o with no accident history)

the thing is, the car is completely standard, no modifications. and i don't intend to do any modifications within the next few years. is it best to change over to someone like suncorp with the lower premiums and the glass cover? Justcars dont have any real benefit to me as the car is unmodified. the only thing that they have going for them is the higher agreed value. but with the way these cars are depreciating is it worth spending the extra bucks for a higher agreed value?

Edited by liger