SAU Community

Rwd Or Awd. Which Stagea Is Better?

stageaC34

I understand that the RWD in the series 2 is almost 100kg lighter, and comes with an LSD.

Does it put more power to the ground than the AWD?? Which would be the best purchase for a new Stagea owner??

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AWD.... thats my personal choice anyway.

feels soooooooo safe in the wet, thru the twists n turns, at pace.

I've never driven the RWD version, but after yesterdays cruise on partially wet roads, I can't go pass recommending the AWD version.

Edited by webng

have driven both and would find it hard to drive a 2wd, stagea is sensational in all conditions, i also have sk's kit to compliment the 4wd, sure the 2wd is lighter but you got to remember while the stagea is a reasonably quick car it is still not a sports car, but with the right mods you can really wind these babys up :domokun:

Though .. if you think about it .. the RWD only probably has a lot less drivetrain loss.. thus might be better on fuel .. oh and some people LIKE the feeling of seeing the rear of the car appearing thru the drivers window.. opposite lock then crash into a tree- please come agian .

after having driven the stagea quite a bit in the wet it does feel safe as houses.

so yaeh if you have shares with OPEC I woudl get the AWD

have driven both and would find it hard to drive a 2wd, stagea is sensational in all conditions, i also have sk's kit to compliment the 4wd, sure the 2wd is lighter but you got to remember while the stagea is a reasonably quick car it is still not a sports car, but with the right mods you can really wind these babys up :domokun:

I have never driven a RWD Stagea, but I too have SK's package, and mine handles brilliantly - much better than the RWD RB26 skyline I have driven. I have found that you do have to work to get through corners quickly, but that may be more a factor of the sheer weight, rather than a difference between 4WD and RWD.

I guess it depends on the way you intend to drive it - for me, it is more a cruiser than bruiser, and I don't do the drift thing, so I prefer the safety of 4WD.....

My 2 cents....

I went down the road of a RWD as I have never really been an AWD fan of any car. Transfer cases, CV joints and drive shafts all extra things I don't wanna have to fix. With TCS and the right mind......RWD safe as any car in the wet. :domokun:

just to clarify, the AWD will not corner better than the RWD in terms of just steering. That comes down to suspension and tyre choice. AWD will assist when accelerating in/out of corners and starting from stationary.

there is ALOT more space in the RWD's engine bay (eg its piss easy to get to the oil filter in the RWD) and it seems alot simpler. RWD also has traction control.

JOE26F's stagea is a S2 RS

I also noted when looking through the stagea pics in the gallery that most of the cars with bodykits wheels and lowering were series 1. Is this the case, or do people just convert back to the s1 lights because they look better??

the 4wd is no safer than the rwd. Its all down to how you are driving.

Being a nissan RWD based on the laurel/silvia chassis it is a very predictable car and traction is only an issue in the wet.

I have the feeling that the 4wd version may feel a bit better balanced as my RWD feels quite front heavy, also parts interchangability is better.

In a straight line the RWD is going to be faster due to weight up till about 250-300wkw.

In a straight line the RWD is going to be faster due to weight up till about 250-300wkw.

iv heard that the AWD is slightly faster than the RWD in both acceleration and 1/4 mile?

iv heard that the AWD is slightly faster than the RWD in both acceleration and 1/4 mile?

Same engine, similar gearbox with 100kg less to carry = my reasoning for rwd being faster.

My best time so far is 14.77 with 170rwkw. Confident i can make low 14s now with 186rwkw.