SAU Community

Splitfire Coil Packs For Rb26

Gday, just after a few (experienced) opinions here.

My car has been off the road for several years now, and im getting enthused to finnish it, so im not sure if im just looking for an excuse to spend money on an unnecessary upgrady or not.

Ive got standard ignition with standard coil packs on a built RB26 with an Autronic, hopefully putting out over 300KW at the wheels (The engine isnt assembled yet).

Is there any sense in getting splitfire coil packs or do they provide no advantages over properly working standard ones? Ive never had any ignition problems, but then ive never experienced this power level.

Should i spend $500 on something more worthwhile??

Thanks,

Shaun.

The coilpacks are worth evry penny if you ask me. i use them in combination with a spark amp and they havent failed me yet. i switched to them as i was beginning to experience spark issues that didnt stop after re gapping the plugs. but i run 450 kw on a daily driver. I think they can handle quite more than the stockers. a friend of mine who has a 26 in his R33 GTST using a T3/T4 hybrid ball bearing turbo pushing 450 HP cracked 3 of his stock coils, and if im not mistakin these packs can handle more heat.

yep- the stock ones will die eventually, and you may even see problems at 300rwkW if they are old

splitfires are a good cure, but lots of people use the bosch coils and leads approach these days, which works out a little cheaper, but doesn't look as neat.

Splitfires are only useful is the stock coils are stuffed/dead.

If the stock ones are fine, then there is absolutely no reason to change em.

There are oodles of cars making over 350rwkw using stock ignition without an issue

yeah splitfires are good, but only if your coils are dying

Also, if you don't have lots of money to spend, i'd look at wasted spark

round $140-$160 for a complete setup and sell your old coils to fund it

Parts needed:

VN Coilpack or Buick V6 coilpack from the states round $60-$80

VL or VN commodore lead pack round $80 for 8mm eagles

then wire it up to your old coilpack loom:

Just make sure you label the wires before cutting them

gncoil9vn.jpg

you cut the lead just after the ignitor, only on the 7 pin plug, leave the 3 pin, that is your timing and power plug :D with the black coil loop

in this order Left to right when looking at ignitor:

Ground, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

Connect wires 1/6 2/5/ 3/4 together and put one of each up to the top posts

You can now cut the timing wire mentioned above and bridge it onto the 1/6 post

When doing this, mark the front of the coils with the coil numbers, i scratched mine on with a screw driver because i was in a rush

Now for the bottom posts:

Take the power wire which is in the middle of the 3 point plug and bridge the power to each post on the bottom row of the coilpacks

Then get your spark plugs, use the longest up front, all the way to the shortest for the firewall cylinder(6 i think? or is it 1)

then mount the coilpack on the firewall, make sure no wires are out, maybe insulate the back of the coil or put heatshrink over the wires first

Then plug it in, take the ground which you haven't touched on the 3 point plug and reground it(has a bolt holder ground thing on it from factory)

Then make sure all coils and leads are in the right holes :P and start it up

Should work perfectly

if you have any missing, double check the wiring and cylinder leads

Gday, just after a few (experienced) opinions here.

My car has been off the road for several years now, and im getting enthused to finnish it, so im not sure if im just looking for an excuse to spend money on an unnecessary upgrady or not.

Ive got standard ignition with standard coil packs on a built RB26 with an Autronic, hopefully putting out over 300KW at the wheels (The engine isnt assembled yet).

Is there any sense in getting splitfire coil packs or do they provide no advantages over properly working standard ones? Ive never had any ignition problems, but then ive never experienced this power level.

Should i spend $500 on something more worthwhile??

Thanks,

Shaun.

I have a set on mine(Splitfire)....only because I had some of the old ones crack.

I have the cover off(To allow ventilation)...ignition module earthed...

Tape up all the loom.....tape up your coils.....only change the set if you start seeing problems..

But if you have money...buy them ASAP....cause your pocket is on fire.

I have a set on mine(Splitfire)....only because I had some of the old ones crack.

I have the cover off(To allow ventilation)...ignition module earthed...

Tape up all the loom.....tape up your coils.....only change the set if you start seeing problems..

But if you have money...buy them ASAP....cause your pocket is on fire.

Ha Ha, my pocket is definately on fire.

Thanks for all your opinions, i think ill spend my money on the engine build instead (oil control maybe), and then replace the coils when they cause a problem.

Im using an Autronic SM4 without CDI

Shaun.

The best proven coil-pack is new genuine nissan, but if your on a budget like most coil-pack buyers splitfire are your next best choice and WAY cheaper. Best set-up is a new std set with an amplifier.

Splitfires are the same as stock, so how is it any better? :action-smiley-069:

I cant say ive heard of splitfires failing any "quicker" than a OEM coil... come to think of it, most splitfires are still working. No dead one comes to mind at this stage but then most people have only been using them for 3 years or so

Splitfires are the same as stock, so how is it any better? :D

I cant say ive heard of splitfires failing any "quicker" than a OEM coil... come to think of it, most splitfires are still working. No dead one comes to mind at this stage but then most people have only been using them for 3 years or so

yeah how many splitfires are going strong after 15years? we sell ALOT of splitfires (100's and 100's) and you would be suprised how many are DOA (dead on arrival) or play up not long after the warranty period stuffs up (dont get me wrong ive had them in 3 cars, current has a FET set... same thing). look at some top level drag cars like the HKS, SAURUS.. PHENIOEX use NEW std coils with amplifiers like twin power etc with no dramas at all....

veilside's R32 GTR, 8 second on radials runs standard nissan coils. so they can't be too bad IF they are working properly. if they fail the only viable option is splitfires as the nissan ones are far too exxy for most to handle.

yeah how many splitfires are going strong after 15years? we sell ALOT of splitfires (100's and 100's) and you would be suprised how many are DOA (dead on arrival) or play up not long after the warranty period stuffs up (dont get me wrong ive had them in 3 cars, current has a FET set... same thing). look at some top level drag cars like the HKS, SAURUS.. PHENIOEX use NEW std coils with amplifiers like twin power etc with no dramas at all....

Ah but now we are talking Japan where prices may indeed vary?