SAU Community

Neo Max Rpm?

Fully rebuilt/balanced bottom end

Head with tomei 260 cams

heavy duty valve springs/retainers

k-line valve guides

port and polish

bolted down with head studs

With the standard solid lifters, would it be safe to set rev limit to 9000rpm? maybe even 9500? Only drag/street? what to raise rpm to take full advantage of a to4z :)

Adriano... He says it's fully rebuilt and balanced.

I rev mine with a standard bottom end, but with Tomei Poncams to 7800.

it's still making good power there and only just starting to taper off there.

keep reving it until it starts to nose over and see how you go.

• 12 years later...

Surely you would give it to your tuner and let him play with the max RPM while he's tuning it?  If you're chasing max RPM then max HP should be the limiting factor.  Let your tuner decide when upping the RPM no longer has any benefit.

Shim over bucket. Don't even think** that it is "as good as" an RB26 from that point of view. Rev it too fast and you stand a very good chance of spitting shims and saying goodbye to some $$.

I would suggest not much more than 8500 rpm unless sworn to and guaranteed by a person who has experience setting up Neo heads with similar cams and springs and knows what they will and won't do.

No. Do not "let the tuner play with it". Tuners and engine builders and not always the same thing. Some tuners know f**k all about the metal bits. Ask the guy who knows about the metal bits.

** That's an instruction, not my opinion.

Edited by GTSBoy

You will find that spinning past 8k starts to get pointless as you can't get into gears and spit power steering belt - unless you've got an auto or a sequential.

But yeah, I've spun mine to 9k rpm just to hear what it sounds like, and each time it kisses the limiter at 9.2k it shoots off a powersteering belt

Yet to go on the dyno, but with timing figures at 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 11, 11, 12, 12, 13, 13 it's more than safe.

• 4 months later...