SAU Community

How To Improve On The R33 Headlights

arch6

+1 I'm definetely in if something like this comes out. However try to make them look aggressive if you can and not a cheapo looking headlight. Have you got any pics or something of how you were thinking of having them look?

It is only the series 2 that is currently being developed as it's a much better looking version plus a lot of series 1 owners upgrade to this shape anyways

There is very little difference between the S1 and S2 headlights, in fact unless you put them side by side it is very hard to tell the difference, also since to change a S1 to S2 headlights you have to change the bonnet, fenders, grill, bumper bar and bumper bar reo, so unless someone has had a big hit in the front i dont think most would bother with the conversion.

I see many more S1's around than i do S2's, i think you are under estimating the demand for S1's.

There is very little difference between the S1 and S2 headlights, in fact unless you put them side by side it is very hard to tell the difference, also since to change a S1 to S2 headlights you have to change the bonnet, fenders, grill, bumper bar and bumper bar reo, so unless someone has had a big hit in the front i dont think most would bother with the conversion.

I see many more S1's around than i do S2's, i think you are under estimating the demand for S1's.

definately agreed. people swapping front ends are few and far between. the s1 market is just as larger if not larger when you count gtr's as the s2 lights

• 5 months later...
There is a developer I know that is willing to invest and setup the moulds for the long awaited aftermarket Angel-eye style headlights for the series 2 R33 GTS25T Skyline - I have been hounding him for over 3 years now it seems he is willing to come through for us !!!

It is an expensive investment to setup, we need to know there will be enough demand to justify this. That is why Im after the expressions of interest from all R33 owners that are keen so we can decide if it's a 'go ahead' or not.

It is only the series 2 that is currently being developed as it's a much better looking version plus a lot of series 1 owners upgrade to this shape anyways, however, if there is enough demand from GTR owners, we might consider doing the series 1 / GTR version as well.

Please note that it is the entire headlight assemblies we're talking about here and not just some cheap add-on neon-light rings such as the ones commonly seen on Ebay for the R34.

All interested please message me here or email me at [email protected]

Below is a photo of similar headlights for a WRX just to give you an idea how they will look.

Thanks.

post-15295-1247368933_thumb.jpg

Im a proud owner of a S2 R33 skyline in New Zealand and as alot of R33 skyline owners from forums ive read we feel let down when it comes to modifying our headlights to something of the likes of the wrx projector headlights youve shown in the forum, ive been looking everywhere and obviously there arent any aftermarket projector style headlights available which is definitly a shame as there are thousands of them around the world and at the moment the only option we have is to do diy jobs that can be very expensive and time consuming, considering they make these projector style headlights for almost every other car and saying that some make them for some crappy cars too lol but skylines I have no idea why no one has made them for Skylines as yet, and in my eyes Skylines are pretty much the king of the road and the R33 is my pick of the lot but id be alot happier if my headlights could brighten up the road at night and also to have the style to grace the front of the car like it deserves too when cruising around. So I would definitly buy some projector style headlights it they were available, I hope it goes ahead, if I had the money to design and manufacture them id risk it all to build them because I know it wouldnt fail as im sure alot of R33 and other skyline owners would buy them for there rides if available...

Edited by GIZMOMZIG

• 7 months later...

Can anyone tell me please if there is something wrong with my combo switch? When my low beam is on the outer globe is lit up and when i switch to high beam it only lights up the inner globe not the outer and inner globe. Is there something wrong here or this normal on a skyline?

Completely normal on a Skyline. There is a thread in the DIY section that shows you how you can rewire it for both the low and high beam to be one at the same time. It's called Dual Highbeam mode or something. Have a bit of a search if you want to do it, personally I have never bothered.

• 3 years later...

I have a S1 R33 GTST and the headlights are absolutely shocking. Should i just upgrade the globes? And does anyone have any suggestions as to what a good one would be?

Is something like this going to be good? http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Philips-Headlight-Globes-Power-Vision-H1-55W.aspx?pid=358203&menuFrom=40101#@cross

Or is it worth spending the extra on this? http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Philips-Headlight-Globes-White-Vision-H1-55W.aspx?pid=358323&menuFrom=40101#@cross

Best = replace headlights with factory xenon, or perform HID conversion.

If you're just after bulbs, use Narva Blue Plus 90. I found them to be pretty good, the rest of the blue bulbs are rubbish.

I dont see the blue plus 90 in H1. Just this plus 100. It doesnt say anything about blue, neither do the others i looked at.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/NARVA-Headlight-Globe-Plus-100-H1-12V-55W.aspx?pid=288118&menuFrom=40101#@cross

I cant say ive done any research into globes except what ive read on these forums. How do i replace with factory xenon?

I found out the hard way the other day how bad the r33 headlights are.

Found a pair of Philips +50 globes and chucked them in, best thing I ever did!

If the lens starts going yellow, clean it with a lens kit (or however you prefer) and get those headlight 'skins', they're like a protective clear vinyl, I hear that they can stop the yellowing.

I dont see the blue plus 90 in H1. Just this plus 100. It doesnt say anything about blue, neither do the others i looked at.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NARVA-H1-BLUE-PLUS-90-90-HALOGEN-LIGHT-BULBS-HEADLIGHT-GLOBES-NEW-12V-48530BL2-/201107039276

I got a packet from Supercheap Auto (go into an auto parts store and have a look).

I cant say ive done any research into globes except what ive read on these forums. How do i replace with factory xenon?

Buy series 3 R33 xenon headlights. They usually come with ballasts and bulbs, but you can buy aftermarket ballasts and bulbs. You're looking at $1k+ for the complete setup.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NARVA-H1-BLUE-PLUS-90-90-HALOGEN-LIGHT-BULBS-HEADLIGHT-GLOBES-NEW-12V-48530BL2-/201107039276

I got a packet from Supercheap Auto (go into an auto parts store and have a look).

Buy series 3 R33 xenon headlights. They usually come with ballasts and bulbs, but you can buy aftermarket ballasts and bulbs. You're looking at $1k+ for the complete setup.

Ok thankyou for the tips. Ill try those globes im not looking to bust the bank.

• 3 years later...

Hi guys I have series 3 gtr headlights they are standard projector zenons my question is the projector part high and low or just low meaning do they have a solenoid that switches angle to get high or low ??

Hi guys I have series 3 gtr headlights they are standard projector zenons my question is the projector part high and low or just low meaning do they have a solenoid that switches angle to get high or low ??

And what type/model bulb are they designed to take exactly hid or halogen ?

Low only, I believe they're D2S. It should be written on the top of your headlight somewhere.
If they are dull, you'll have to somehow inspect the projector bowl. If the bulb colour is a bit purple-y, change them to Osram CBI (look on powerbulb.com).

Low only, I believe they're D2S. It should be written on the top of your headlight somewhere.
If they are dull, you'll have to somehow inspect the projector bowl. If the bulb colour is a bit purple-y, change them to Osram CBI (look on powerbulb.com).

Yeah had a look today and they all working sweet now don't know why I didn't look into it earlier lol just been yo busy with other jobs to worry about my own cars. Had heaps of d2s bulbs the person that cut the wires to ballast before I had it must of not known what bulbs went in so they just wired up h1s .

Should have good lights at night now with the projectors working happy days!

15 hours ago, danny14 said:

Had heaps of d2s bulbs the person that cut the wires to ballast before I had it must of not known what bulbs went in so they just wired up h1s .

This annoys me greatly. Instead of destroying the standard wiring and plugs, shops can easily get a D2→H1 plate made up and disconnect the HID part of the wiring and make up a two wire "harness".

e.g.

11223717-origpic-2dfbe1.jpg_0_0_100_100_

• Like 1