SAU Community

Homelink Installed

have had this installed for a while but thought i would finally share a picture of it

this is the homelink mirror that was included as part of hte "premium pack" on th G35 is the USA

as far as i know it wasn't on any V35 model

its features:

- homelink: up to 3 memory IR remote control (to control garage door etc)

- auto-dim: when its dark out and a bright light shines from the rear it dims automatically without you having to flip the mirror down

it cost me about $150 from eGay and came with everything needed including mirror, wiring, and wire cover

the mirror itself mounts to the standard wedge on teh window exactly as the stock one, took me less than 15 seconds to unscrew the old mirror, slide it off, and slide the new one over.

these bad boys are stock on most lexus' and other high-end cars and i am very happy with it - especialyl the auto-dim feature, its superb!

highly recommended for anyone after the luxury features

cheers,

Warren

post-2094-1188536316_thumb.jpg

very easy...

2 wires:

- +12V

- ground

the loom plugs into the back of the mirror and then up through the wire cover and into the hood liner. you will see that our cars already have the hole there for hte wire th go through.. its meant to be there really

then i just ran the loom across the hood liner, down the A pillar cover, and then behind the dash

i gorunded the ground to the chassis, and onnectged the +12 to the cigarette lighter, and that's it

the auto dimming feature is better than it sounds, it really is

very easy...

2 wires:

- +12V

- ground

the loom plugs into the back of the mirror and then up through the wire cover and into the hood liner. you will see that our cars already have the hole there for hte wire th go through.. its meant to be there really

then i just ran the loom across the hood liner, down the A pillar cover, and then behind the dash

i gorunded the ground to the chassis, and onnectged the +12 to the cigarette lighter, and that's it

the auto dimming feature is better than it sounds, it really is

Cool

Good to see the pics as I couldn't get my head around were the wires would go but looks very factory, well done.

Have you tried to program the remote yet?

IT doctor.. haven't programmed it yet

cookie--monster.. you can get different models of the rearview mirror WITH bluetooth, but this particular model was designed for this car. not sure if other models would fit as easily

it looks stock because it IS stock. it was made for the car and came out in the premium G35 in the USA. if you look you will all have the hole in the hood liner where the wire is supposed to go

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey Waz,

I checked my mirror today and there is a wire loom that plugs into it at the moment, any idea what its for? If I bought the one you have, would it be as simple as just plug and play seeing as my wires are already there?

Jon

hi Jon,

can you put up a pic of your mirror?

if there's a lug already going into it then it already has some sort of function built into it.. thestock one has no wires going into it, i had to splice into the back of the cigarette lighter to get power for mine

Just a plain looking rear view mirror from the front but at the back as you can see, there is power going into it. Perhaps its already got the dimmer thing built in? How do I test it out apart from getting someone to highbeam me from behind?

post-6973-1204967120_thumb.jpg

post-6973-1204967145_thumb.jpg

hmmm really not too sure on this one

there's no light sensor on the front so might not have a dimmer built in, but why else would it have the wiring loom?

also, it connects to the window differently than my stock one did

try shining a torch into the mirror when the car is in your garage and see if it dims

I found out what the plug does...it disables the intelligent key and makes it stupid :D

I unplugged it today while at the lights just to see if anything stopped working...after getting to my destination, turned car off, got out and tried locking the car with the button on the door handle..didn't work..tried locking with intelligent key, didn't work..so I used my backup autowatch remote to lock.

Came back, same thing, key fob didn't work, unlocked with autowatch and couldn't start the damn car!..was having nightmares of being stranded down the coast and remembering the thread on faulty key fobs...then it dawned on me to connect the plug back to my rear view mirror and hey presto everything works again! :D tried unplugging it again and testing my theory and yes it made the key stupid again.

Anyone here have a S2 sedan with the intelligent key, try this out and see if does the same :D

• 1 month later...

Hey Warren

I'm very interested in the mirror but for the garage door opener, auto-dimmer is a bonus.

Have you been able to program it yet?

I've opened my garage roller door button and it has little switches you switch up and down, and you do the same on the controller.

I've also checked the www.homelink.com website but the instructions to program it doesn't make sense.

I really want to buy this as there is no convenient, easily accessable place i can put the controller in my car.

Cheers

Tien