SAU Community

R33 Stock Fuel Pump Compared To Walbro Gss-342

RBwhatever

I bought a Walbro GSS-342 to replace my stock fuel pump in my S1 R33.

Anyway long story short, I took the fuel pump out and the stock one is almost a twice the size than the walbro gss-342.

Whats the go? is my "stock pump" not stock?

The pump I pulled out is stamped with JECS as the brand and model #A42-T22 12V

post-28076-1189391992_thumb.jpg

post-28076-1189392080_thumb.jpg

I modified my stock filter that dangles off the stock pump to fit up nice on the new walbro one so it would suck past 1/4 tank. I suggest you do the same because I think you wont be able to tank full advantage of your fuel tank without doing it... Give it a good clean aswell before putting it back on.

Edited by Pauly33GTS-t

Nah dude, it don't work like that! The pump sucks from the end of the pump/pipe that connects to the sock...not from the end of the sock, So you don't need the long sock on there to achieve same results!!! :D Better off with the new clean sock aswell...

I had one of these. Very quiet little pump. Beware though - This is NOT the high pressure version so don't try and run anymore more boost than 15psi and more than 250rwkw. The flow drops off dramatically after 60psi pump pressure. So 42psi skyline fuel rail, plus 12psi bost is fine, and under that limit.

I ran 300rwkw and 20psi of boost and realised the pump was not big enough for this. Did it for over 18 months though and had no problems or failures.

But these pumps are perfect for a stock turbo'd Skyline. Even one running 13psi and 210rwkw.

Edited by The Mafia

I had one of these. Very quite little pump. Beware though - This is NOT the high pressure version so don't try and run anymore more boost than 15psi and more than 250rwkw. The flow drops off dramatically after 60psi pump pressure. So 42psi skyline fuel rail, plus 12psi bost is fine, and under that limit.

I ran 300rwkw and 20psi of boost and realised the pump was not big enough for this. Did it for over 18 months though and had no problems or failures.

But these pumps are perfect for a stock turbo'd Skyline. Even one running 13psi and 210rwkw.

My thoughts exactly. It'd do me just fine. I wasn't planning on going for a bigger turbo than a highflow and I'm still on the stock turbo and probably pushing the regular 200rwkw or close too.

In saying that, would it be bad to boost a high flow turbs to 18psi with this pump?

Anyway I fitted up the pump this afternoon. It wasn't too hard to fit.

We just needed:

2 x female insulted terminals

2 x 25mm-50mm hose clamps

100mm of fuel hose to extend the hose to the pump and for rubber mounts under the clamps.

Photo of finished product mounted on stock bracket. :)

post-28076-1189417944_thumb.jpg

We plugged in a wideband after and found the afr's running a tad richer than the previous tune on the stock pump. So I might have to get the tune touched up a bit.

I also did not do the direct feed mod when installing this pump and just used the stock wiring. It has run fine under full acceleration .

Edited by KeyMaker

Here it is. Take note of the Blue line. The Standard Rail is 42psi, plus whatever boost. So if your running 18psi, you're risking it a bit.

I was running 20psi, and made 300rwkw lol. But the AFR's were at 12.7:1. That didn't matter though, as I run a water methanol injectoin.

My advice, don't run anymore than say 15psi - 16psi.

Youll be safe under that, good cheap reliable pump too.

post-7271-1189471554_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Mafia

Here it is. Take note of the Blue line. The Standard Rail is 42psi, plus whatever boost. So if your running 18psi, you're risking it a bit.

I was running 20psi, and made 300rwkw lol. But the AFR's were at 12.7:1. That didn't matter though, as I run a water methanol injectoin.

My advice, don't run anymore than say 15psi - 16psi.

Youll be safe under that, good cheap reliable pump too.

Ah ok very interesting. Thanks for the flow/pressure chart.

I purchased this pump off slide here. He's advertised it as high pressure.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...howtopic=183090

Can you tell if it is the high pressure version?

Maybe I should just ask slide.

I really don't know dude. There is a table somewhere that I have seen, and I'm pretty sure that it neesd to have "HP" in its model number.

I've seen a lot of these pumps being flogged off as high pressure ones.

You could say:

Standard max is about 250rwkw and 18psi of boost

High pressure one is about 350+rwkw and 24+psi of boost.

Just off the top of my head, don't quote me on that.

I'm not trying to run down Slide or anything either. These are just my observations from using these pumps. The Standard Walbro I got cost me $190. So for $160, it could be a standard one.

Edited by The Mafia
  • Like 1

Na that's cool. It shouldn't really affect me though as I probably won't even get to 250rwkw. I'm trying to keep response to a maximum, and they don't get any more responsive than the stock turbo.

It's just good to know what I've got will handle at about 250rwkw, just in case. I'd just like to know which pump it is just for knowledge sake.

Cheers for the extra info man. It really helps to let me know whats possible and not possible :D

I'll shoot slide the question of which one it is :P

Edited by KeyMaker

Well I've done a fair bit of reading. Its seems that the GSS342 is a High Pressure fuel pump. I can't find any information to state otherwise.

As advertised it is capable of 450-500hp. I'd assume that to be engine hp, not rwhp. So it calculates down to 373kw at the engine, so lets say its good for 340rwkw guestimate.

Other factors seem to come into it as well.

So in theory if I was too try and achieve my mythical 340rwkw, I would not be able to do it with just the gss342(and other supporting mods).

I'd have to up the voltage to the pump in order for it to flow more and have more pressure. Apparently the stock wiring to the fuel pump isn't capable of feeding the pump enough voltage, so the direct voltage feed mod to the wiring is necessary.

But that would mean the pump is running at full capacity all the time, and a fuel swirl pot would probably be needed to keep the fuel temps down.

Could this be the reason why some say walbro's are rubbish pumps and say they fail? Because they haven't upped the voltage feed to it to flow more? Or is it just the fact they didn't purchase the High Pressure pump?

The Mafia, did you do the direct feed mod or just keep the stock wiring when you had your pump fitted?

Someone please shoot me down if my reasoning is incorrect.

Edited by KeyMaker