SAU Community

Good Beginners Track Car

hi everyone im just wondering what car would be good for a beginner wanting to start doing some track days and circuit racing and stuff like that, only because im hugely interested in this and ive been saving alot of money. ive been thinking of turbo but im not quite sure yet only because im still on my p's for another year. now im writing in the n/a forum because im thinking what an N/A r34 would be like on the track either the 2 door or 4 door, only problem is i seem to mainly find 4 door r34's are they still any good? anyway any info on these would be much appreciated.

Depends on what sort of "track" wrok you planning on doing, drift, hill climb, Motorkahna.... All different. And different cars are better suited to different things.

For eg, my AE86 is great at the hillclimbs and motorkahna. But it's not legal for the IPRA races as a few of the mods aren't allowed.

So pick a class or a type of event you want to compete in, then build a car to the rules far that class or competion

shitty old ae86 you pick up for 500 bucks with a welded diff.

if you can find an AE86 for $500, let me know..... as the last time I saw a shitty rusted AE86 cheap, it was 2g..................

PLus an AE86 isn't as easy to drive as everybody thinks

if you can find an AE86 for $500, let me know..... as the last time I saw a shitty rusted AE86 cheap, it was 2g..................

PLus an AE86 isn't as easy to drive as everybody thinks

bought mine for $600, even had a japanese rear axle, disc brakes and japanese headlight conversion (including foglight brackets) already done. Not much rust either, just a couple of spots. Welded the diff and for shits and giggles we strapped a turbo onto the 4AC carby engine and took it to a drift night. No power steering = pussy drifting. Once we blew the engine we found another 4AC, changed engines in about 40 mins and it cost us a beer and $20 for the engine. We went thru 4 engines in that car... finally decided to put a CA18 in it.

its doable, just gotta look in the right places... and not get into a price war with fanboys.

coincidentally I just sold the same car without an engine or gearbox for $1000. $400 profit about 5 events and 2 years later :dry:

hi everyone im just wondering what car would be good for a beginner wanting to start doing some track days and circuit racing and stuff like that

OK, you need to decide if this car is going to be for track days only, or if you're going to race it competitively. The latter has a whole bunch of rules and restrictions which will determine the car you select (most turbos get the shit restricted out of them). The former would probably be restricted only by your budget.

Next thing, is it going to be a track-only car trailered to events or is it something you need to be able to drive around on the road?

The R34, or almost any 2WD Skyline for that matter, is a boat. The car's set up too soft from the factory because its engineered to be a GT, not a racer. You can throw money at it to "fix" it, but you might be better off just buying a car that's better suited.

Lastly, what is your budget?

Cars I'd consider, in your situation:

S13 Silvia

Mazda MX5

Honda Integra Type-R (DC2)

Honda Civic VTiR

All are relatively light and chuckable, with a reasonable chassis, and most aren't stupidly powerful. Having a car that's not too powerful means you need to learn how to corner if you want to run a good time, since you can't make it up on the straights.

Arguably, if you really want to use it for "learning" only you should buy something that doesn't handle as well as the above. If you can drive a bad handling car with no power quick, you can drive a good handling car with no power very quick. And a good handling car with power extremely quick.

thanks for all your posts guys i appreciate it. to answer a couple things you guys wrote is that im not after a full track car just something for track days because i want to get into circuit racing. so what im after is something you can take to the track to learn the basics and still will be my everyday driver car to work, so thats why im not after a full stripped out hardcore racecar. so id do some suspension work and probably brakes and stuff like that nothing major just something to learn in, when i get the job i want i can move into some more circuit racing and dedicate a car just to that and by then i should know the basics.

If I was in your situation I'd probably try and get an R32 or S13 Silvia / 180sx. Unfortunately you'd have to get a non-turbo due to the P plater laws if this was going to be a daily driver as well though. You can pick up non-turbos of the cars mentioned fairly cheaply these days, even cheaper if you decide to buy them from Japan..

Although it would be up to you, I'd stay away from the four door R34's.. as stated before the Skylines are a bigger car and aren't as suited to track from the factory as others (except the R32 imo). You'd save money getting an R32 / S13 and then can use that money to put towards upgrading suspension and mods.

thanks for all your posts guys i appreciate it. to answer a couple things you guys wrote is that im not after a full track car just something for track days because i want to get into circuit racing. so what im after is something you can take to the track to learn the basics and still will be my everyday driver car to work, so thats why im not after a full stripped out hardcore racecar. so id do some suspension work and probably brakes and stuff like that nothing major just something to learn in, when i get the job i want i can move into some more circuit racing and dedicate a car just to that and by then i should know the basics.

Just use whatever car you're driving now. Best way to get into motorsport is just start doing it. You'll learn and have fun in whatever you're driving.

Just use whatever car you're driving now. Best way to get into motorsport is just start doing it. You'll learn and have fun in whatever you're driving.

Spot on. Just get out there & have a go. Most of what you learn is not specific to any one car.

The R34, or almost any 2WD Skyline for that matter, is a boat. The car's set up too soft from the factory because its engineered to be a GT, not a racer. You can throw money at it to "fix" it, but you might be better off just buying a car that's better suited.

Lastly, what is your budget?

Cars I'd consider, in your situation:

S13 Silvia

Mazda MX5

Honda Integra Type-R (DC2)

Honda Civic VTiR

All are relatively light and chuckable, with a reasonable chassis, and most aren't stupidly powerful. Having a car that's not too powerful means you need to learn how to corner if you want to run a good time, since you can't make it up on the straights.

I drive a R34 4 door and even I agree with all of the above comments from people. Sure you can make up for weight with power, but you're far better off not having it in the first place

How bout a ae86 Sprinter.. One of the best track cars around .. sure its more of a drifta but if u wanna convert ur set..

Id also concider a mx5 turbo .. or a s13 silvia.. not a 180.. to hard to hold in a corner i rekon

Edited by DECIM8

to be honest - my excel is a blast to drive after a bit of suspension work

i would recommend some g4 coilovers, bigger rear swaybar, front strut brace, full bush replacement

get some decent tyres on some hyundai elantra 15" steel rims and your laughing

okay its not fast, but they're chuckable around corners and the understeer is progressive after the suspension mods

Sure you can make up for weight with power, but you're far better off not having it in the first place

You can make up for weight with power coming out of a corner and onto the straight. Once you get to the end of the straight and need to brake, or mid-corner, nothing makes up for a lack of weight. :action-smiley-069:

• 2 weeks later...

What about a non turbo FC3S RX7 or even a 1st Gen RX7.....Brilliant handling cars with a few suspension mods (well my series 3 was) lightweight, cheap to rebuild if you blow a motor and plenty of potential power wise down the track.

An FC Turbo will be my weapon of choice once I get round to getting a track car built.

Plenty of Bolt on avaliable for FCs over the 1st gen cars for track work so I would be leaning towards one of those, Ive seen them For-Sale for as little as $4000 for an early model FC3S.

Datsun 1600, RX3, old RX7, Sprinter or 4age KE70, MX5!!!

Keep It Simple!

light NA carby cars are fun, easy to trouble shoot, and cheap.

Gonna be easier on tires and brakes, and i find my datto teaches my how to drive.

-Ryan