SAU Community

Famous Classic Car Insurance

Thats doesn't sound completely right, I was on my parent's policy for two years before I got my own car and when I called them to find out what my rating was, they'd given me a rating for each year, hence I was a rating 4. That was a couple of years ago, and with SGIC so dunno if its changed or not....

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miss*33..

Was the car insured and registered to your parents?

I accidently sliped to SGIC that the car was registered to me but insured to Dad thats when they said well... Insurance is void and if you were to have an accident we could very well void insurance.

This was (gets my fingers out) shiet.. 6 almost 7 years ago now since I was 17... Getting old.. :)

Yep it was registered and insured by my parents, I was shocked too when they told me I had a rating, but they said that if you are a "listed driver" then you still gain a rating...this was three years ago, so I dunno if its still right or not!!??

When I called them last year to see if they'd insure my 33 (hahaha yeah right, but thought I'd try it seeing as my other car was currently through them...) they said I was listed as having insurance on a Toyota Corolla...I had to tell them that I was just a listed driver because apparently their computer couldn't tell the difference!!!

I have no idea with insurance companies....they confuse me!! :confused:

Yeah tell me about it!!! I got my renewal from Just Cars for $2,035 but disputed it cos I got an internet quote from them a couple of weeks ago for $1,881. Surprising they honoured the internet quote and apologised for making a mistake!!!! LOL :D

jeez i hope famous reinsure me next year being under 25. theyre really great people and ive talked to a guy who made a claim thru them and they were fine.

i can attest to dodgy australia post, they lost my insurance cheque!! so now i have to chase up the bank to get a new one made out. id check with famous to make sure they have received it fellas

famous told my mum that they wouldn't insurer me, when i'm 18 nor would they let it go under my dads name and let me be the nominated driver.

I'm 17 now and wanting to buy a Skyline R33 gts25 about 93-95 model series 1

so what should i do, and i was going for full insurance as well

Maybe look at a V8 VS or similiar Liquid85.

You wont get the performance with the GTS unless you go the T.

+ RAA or NRMA for u I think it is, insure young drivers with V8's for basically the same price as a V6.

I was insured with Famous and had to make a claim on an 97 R33 S2. All has been sorted now but the only problem is thier independent assessors. The didn't have a clue on how to value my car. I was offered 22,800 minus excess! Thats was a joke. I ended up with 29,000 minus exess after a hell of a lot of work and 2 months time but it was worth it. Lesson - MAKE SURE IT IS AGREED VALUE AND NOT MARKET. Also thier communication was not very goos at all. Typical "We'll be in contact" but no call. Was chasing them. Apart from that they seem quite good, I'm not trying to bad mouth them, just a few points colud be inproved but in the end my new car will be with them too if the price is right. :D

hey im new here but im 17, 18 in a couple of weeks and getting an 94 r33gtst but looks like i cant get it been lookin at insurance no one wants to know me nrma for 5grand :) any of u's know who would insure me, gotta rating 6 :D just cause mum finally got around to putting me on the pollicy, would i be about to insure under me dads name and than just drive it and pay an excess if something happens or wat

Airzone - I'm not sure if its the same with all insurance companies, but mine decreases my agreed value every year. Eg, last year it was agreed for 24,000, this year I got my renewal and it was only agreed for 22,500.

Not sure how they work it out, but oh well!

My agreed value with Torque Underwriting stayed the same from last year to this year. When I went to Famous it increased $1000, up to the original purchase price. I'm guessing it will drop again next year, but if I do any further mods I may try to negotiate it up again a bit to compensate.

Guest el scorcho

Hey All,

i just wanted to let you all know that i fully endorse what Famous has to say in relation to car insurance. I recently bought, then managed to have some guy cut into an intersection and cause me to write off, a Series 2 R33 Skyline. This was a week after installing an Apex'i Power FC system that was not properly mentioned on my policy!

Prior to purchasing the car I went to the various insurance companies that offer insurance for imported vehicles and found that Famous not only were the cheapest, but following the accident, had great service to boot. Upon making the claim there was a disagreement about the value being agreed or market, however this was cleared up very quickly by my case officer who cleared this up on my behalf at Famous. Furthermore, Famous allowed me to remove the Power FC despite the fact that it was not mentioned within the policy.

So, if anyone has a Skyline with expensive insurance or is thinking of buying a Skyline and not sure about where to look for insurance or even if it is worth getting a Skyline cos insurance is expensive; I would give Famous a call and see what they can do! for you.

check this out.. from just cars

Excesses

STANDARD $400

Plus Driver Excesses

DRIVERS UNDER 22 $400

DRIVERS 22 AND UNDER 25 $300

SEE 'ENDORSEMENTS' FOR ANY ADDITIONAL EXCESSES THAT MAY APPLY TO THIS POLICY.

Endorsements

• We have quoted you rating 01. Could you please provide us with written confirmation of your entitlement. This could be either a current renewal notice or a letter showing your rating.

• To protect your rating one entitlement please add $35 to your premium. If you wish to purchase the 6 month policy, please add $N/A to your premium.

• An additional excess of $700 applies to this policy. This excess is in addition to any other excesses and will need to be paid on every claim.

• An additional excess of $400 applies to the MUSIC SYSTEM noted on your policy. This excess will need to be contributed to each claim for loss or damage (including theft) of these accessories. This excess is in addition to any other excess.

• The following item(s) must be fitted to your car for your car to be covered in the event of theft or attempted theft: IMMOBILISER (2PT MIN.).

• If your vehicle has a fully operational Quiktrak Security System fitted and your vehicle is stolen, your no claim bonus/rating will not be affected and any theft excess applicable to your policy will be waived.

• An additional excess of $700 applies and will need to be paid on any claim arising from the theft or attempted theft of this vehicle.

• Any repair we authorise to your vehicle will be delayed if parts are unavailable locally and need to be imported.

correct me if i'm wrong .. but thats 2100 in excesses alone!!!! WTF???

isn't that 2100 worst case scenario?

i.e. if it's NOT stolen, it's $1400. and if you didn't have an aft mkt stereo, it'd be $1000.

etc.

sounds reasonable?

also, did anyone get a policy with famous classic in 2002 and renew it in 2003? if so, would you mind stating any rise/fall in your premium? i would like to know what i'm up for in my 2nd year of insurance for my car.

my 1st year stats were 21yo male / 1996 gts25t insured for 25k / no convictions/speed fines/any infringements / 30% no claim = $3100