SAU Community

JJR Coil Packs Vs Oem Vs Splitfire Vs Other

coils are coils, but you would need to stuff around mounting them, they would not have bolt in direct fire ones like jjr/splitfire/owm

coils are denfinately not all the same. the aftermarket stuff has really come a long way. the nissan std coils r quite good, but imo there is a whole range on very powerful coils out there that would b better than std (and prob cost around the same sort of $$). example, i changed to MSD coils from stock ones in my V6 commodore and dropped from 14.5 to 14.02 with just the coils and a small adjustment to the tune in the last 1000rpm (merely to correct a/f ratio). making brackets isnt that envoled either.

Edited by Raysboostin

• 3 weeks later...
Well i have some issues with Splitfires, the first set died 6 montch after purchase 4 coils startred to die, and it looks like that migh be the case again, either way my Central 20 ECU and splitfires don't like a gap above .8 mm at 15 psi

The issue is clearly with the ecu/tuner combination.

Have your tuner pull his finger out of his bottom and check the coils dwell vs rpm has been setup correctly.

If its not it will either provide a weak spark or overheat and kill the coils quickly.

My bets are on the later.

• 2 weeks later...
The issue is clearly with the ecu/tuner combination.

Have your tuner pull his finger out of his bottom and check the coils dwell vs rpm has been setup correctly.

If its not it will either provide a weak spark or overheat and kill the coils quickly.

My bets are on the later.

does that mean if i put aftermarket coilpacks in i will have to get a re tune. you cant just put these in?

Well i have some issues with Splitfires, the first set died 6 montch after purchase 4 coils startred to die, and it looks like that migh be the case again, either way my Central 20 ECU and splitfires don't like a gap above .8 mm at 15 psi

are you sure your central 20 ecu supports sequential ingition and is not operating in batch mode or something ?

out of the 50-60 or so splitfires we have supplied in the last 12 months or so we have NEVER had a single one fail

out of interest OEM coils are 180 each trade price and the coil pack loom (engine sub harness) is about 200$

standard ecu

mods - zorst, FMIC, pod

only mod i added since splitfires was manual boost controller set to 10psi, 200rwkw

and i don't thrash my car, only done 5000km since coils changed to the splitfires

Edited by into oblivion

standard ecu

mods - zorst, FMIC, pod

only mod i added since splitfires was manual boost controller set to 10psi, 200rwkw

and i don't thrash my car, only done 5000km since coils changed to the splitfires

ok as you didn't fit the splitfires your self I'm assuming your guessing that the coil packs have died.

In other words you haven't pulled the coil packs out yourself, inspected them did the usual trouble shooting one does before they come to the conclusion that something has died. :ermm:

What brought you to that conclusion?

If its started popping it can be maaaaaaaaaany things. :D

The AFR's are too rich.

Plugs need regapping.

Plugs need replacing.

Ignition has crapped its self (if its a s1).

So fingers crossed its something silly. :D

yes i am guessing so probably shouldn't assume :D

but the car makes excatly the same noise as when my OEM coils had died.

last week it started stuttering/shaking at idle. now at 4000rpm onwards it pops to the bs

took it to my other local mechanic and he had a quick check of the plugs/sensors/af meter couldn't find anything obviously wrong

plugs were replaced same time as splitfires installed

don't have an a/f ratio gauge

series 1

Edited by into oblivion

• 3 weeks later...

found these coil packs on ebay. they are called super spark coils and they say that they give you 10% more spark and they are to suit RB20, RB25 and RB26. at $499 what do you reckon? has anyone else heard or know of anyone using these.

they look to me to be similar looking to the JJR packs

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SUPER-SPARK-Coil-Pa...1QQcmdZViewItem

found these coil packs on ebay. they are called super spark coils and they say that they give you 10% more spark and they are to suit RB20, RB25 and RB26. at $499 what do you reckon? has anyone else heard or know of anyone using these.

They are exactly the same as JJR, only $100 dearer per set.

They are exactly the same as JJR, only $100 dearer per set.

Kudos sell SUPER SPARK doesn't he???

Im about to buy new coils myself but haven't decided if i will go JJR's or Splitfires :bunny: