SAU Community

commodors vs skylines

I pay $1090 for a 23yr old Rating 1 agreed value of 16,000.

I also got a quote for a R32 GTR that is worth 32,000.

I was quoted $2000.

That was through Famous.

wilco... The skylines don't often have issues like the commodores for some reason. (i.e steering pumps are a good example)

This was one big difference I noticed going from a 60,000km on the clock VS 5ltr 5 speed - IRS,SRS,ABS.

If you slap an exhaust on a commodore doesn't it void the warranty? A mate of mine with a VT SS Auto wanted to slap an exhaust on his however he said Holden said it would void the warranty.

My old Commodore seemed to just not like hard driving. Every time I did, something would start to go wrong or start to whine... :D

Maybe I just got a lemon. Most probably.

I've done close to 60k in the R32 now and its ready to click over to 130,000km's. Still going well and its been running 16psi of boost for around 40k of the 60k.

I do like the commodores however as the VX's and Monaro's do look very sleek. They did an excellent Job with the Monaro. BUT.. I've got a bad taste in my mouth and figure the way I push cars maybe the Commodore just wasn't built for it.

Their chassis are a little to soft also as the old commodore reversing out of the steep drive way, i used to be able to hear the window creeking as the chassis flexed. It did have hard suspension however. Whiteline HD swaybars, Bilstein Adj. Shocks, Low springs. Not super low.

I honestly am not over the moon with the look of the R32 (Arse End) as it looks no where as nice as my old VS but... thats what you get if you want to hammer a car and still be able to feel confident that it will take it.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have a BA XR6T... give it the standard mods of filter, boost, FMIC, exhaust and computer and you've got to be close to 300kw at the fats... oh, but you're gearbox will try and eject itself all over the road :)

I actually love V8s, but the GenIII just sounds wrong... weird firing order

And until i can spend 50K on a new car or (more likely) 33GTR, i'll be happy with my 20K GTSt thanks very much - lets face it for 20K you can get a spanking fast skyline or a not so fast commodore. I actually don't much like the look of my car; how many of us own skylines primarly because for the money, no other car can touch its performance?

Really that is true what can we get for similiar money with similiar style, brakes, suspension etc.. :)

Sure some one said the the commodore forums that he could grab a vn 5ltr slap a second hand supercharger on it well.

Then there's the legality of things insurance etc.. and the brakes.. what brakes.. lol... :D

I'm tired of this thread.. I wish I could unsubscribe my self.

beat the new BA XR6 turbo in my volvo wagon the other day. Just testing the new trans of course :). very close race but sadly(for him) he lost. Loved the look on his face. I might convince the missus to let me take the tank to the drags for a 'real' test (just have to wait till the other skyline boys go down so I can scare them) :D

if you get an XR 6 T, i suggest you dont mod it just yet. Any boost changes show up in the ecu, which will void your warranty, which you defintaley need. The BA's have a problem with the bypass O ring leaking... only a few $ for a new oring and some washers to fix it... but takes about 1.5 hours to fix on the XR 6 T!.. also brake discs are dodgy, and Ford are designing some new ones to replace on ALL cars sold.

I vote we stop getting into these arguements with Holden and Ford owners at their respective sites. We don't want to awaken them....

What would the streets be like without a good ole Commodore to whup every now and then. We should not be trying to teach them any better. Let them stay over there in Jurassic Park...

Originally posted by KDR33

Im a dead set Ford fan, the only reason i brought the R33 gtst is cause its a coupe, which gives a sporty and better image and its handling and cause it was a turbo. If it wasnt for my cars fuel effiency i would of got a EF or a EL XR8, which i think they are damn hot and not many are modified.. U just cant compare a damn frigen dunnydore to a skyline, both are different category cars. Skyline handles better for its shorter wheel base and has HICAS which i love it :D  Like if u got a cave men and showed him  a dunnydore and a skyline, im sure he will choose the skyline coz its just a sex on wheels.

P.S. Im glad Ford fans are not as stupid as Holden hooligans. Their was a little comparing on XR6T VS Skylines and Supras on fordforums.com & 8out of 10 people respected skylines & supras, and others said it was a rice burner or what ever, but no one said either car was shit..  

The thing i hate about Holden hooligans is, they think dunnydores are the best car on road!

Respect.

I actually don't much like the look of my car; how many of us own skylines primarly because for the money, no other car can touch its performance?

Primary reason why I purchased mine too.. knew it for a few years that I'd be stupid to own a "performance" aussie car, and now I am lucky enough to own one. Personally, while I know other people like the looks, its not my primary concern.

For commondoor owners I believe the primary concern would be "practicality" and "convenience".. and their main complaints about the skyline will be cost of ownership, practicality, and maybe reliability. With a bit of knowledge however, i think both of those are pretty unfounded.

...all u have to say is 'Y do Holden VLs have skyline engines in em?' And y so many ppl drive em? what type of engine do they put in a VL to make it run fast? A skyline engine

that'll shut em up =)

cos it was requested.....but damn.... after a 50 min read through 17 pages....damn it was funny wat they said about skylines :)

we need our blow off valves to get our gals hahahahahahaha

damn that sh|t is funny :P

as a X como owner and Hsv fan , i can honestly say the skyline is much more advanced then any commo i know ? i mean skyline and nissan came out with the four wheel technology how long ago and applied to their cars as well. where as como are just now getting their act together with SSX which in my books will make skys work out but will not be out classed by this so called concept car if in fact it is ever gets realised to the public as was the skyline

LOL some one here said they bet a XR6T with their Volvo wagon,which i find it interesting. My R33 Gtst is basically all stock with a 3" exhaust from turbo and a Apexi catback. I managed to pull 14.7 the best.. Now i guess ur Volvo wagon is even faster than my car? Coz a XR6T Auto does 14.2 and manuel 14.1 stock, their damn powerfull and got 185rwkw. The Auto Tremec is better, coz if your lookn to modify your car later on, it can handle it quite well. U can get a Chip put in for $1200 from APS gets the car to 290kw... Now what have you done to your Volvo wagon to get it to do 13 seconds?

BTW, my r33 is manuel :P