SAU Community

R34 Boost Upgrade

I'm pretty sure that I have only cat back exhaust and compliance cat as the front part of the exhaust is still surrounded by factory shielding. I must admit that it's not too bad for a factory exhaust (compared to what I had in my series 1 S14 200SX). From my experience with my previous car, the S14, cat back does make hell of a difference in response and outright power as I've replaced stock exhaust with HKS cat back split twin cannon system and I did notice quite a bit of difference as well as higher boost levels. So cat back that was on the car when I bought it might be the reason why it has higher boost than normal.

I wander what does the standard boost gauge show on stock as a rock manual R34 GTT at a maximum boost? Is it 0.5 KG/cm2 or more? If more then what's the figure?

I will be getting full 80mm exhaust from turbo back sometime down the track though.

R34 SMIC is rated at 200rwkw so it's still adequate for what I'm doing.

I don’t get flat spots, miss fires and what not, I was looking out for them after reading stuff on the net so I consider myself lucky in this regard.

Well currently I’m trying to borrow a boost gauge of someone to get more accurate reading, as soon as I’ll be able to do this I’ll post figures on this forum.

As I’ve said before currently I’m sunning boost just a little bit higher than before or maybe it’s my imagination (around 10 PSI) with stock boost control solenoid disconnected, as soon as I connect solenoid, boost goes through the roof, well it’s more than 1KG/cm2 which is more than 15 PSI but these figures are not exact so….

Follow up as promised, I bought an electric boost gauge and instaled it today. Quite a labor intensive task I must say.

The gauge showed that car is running 7PSI without dual stage boost controll (disconnected) and 12PSI with dual stage boost controll (connected). If the gauge is accurate then it is quite safe to install R32 RB20 wastegate actuator and gain some power on the chaep.

Now, the boost gauge that I bought is of "Auto Gauge" brand and it's an electric type that reads up to 30PSI. Does anyone use those gauges, are they accurate?