SAU Community

R32 Ls1 Conversion

BezerkR32

Some might probably remember this same car having a RB26/30 and a powerglide dummied up in it,

but after some calculations it was soon realised that this combination was going to cost tens of thousands

of dollars to complete the engine alone. So the engine & transmission were sold and the project put on hold.

Six months later i came across a low Km LS1 and Tremec 6 speed. For a laugh on a saturday arvo a friend and I thought

we would see if it would even look like fitting, the joke soon became a reality.

Factory Nissan engine mounts were used on the cross member, block to mount brackets were fabricated.

The sump did not need any modification. The factory power steer rack was removed and a VL manual rack was fitted to allow for starter motor clearance. VX Commodore 1&3/4" into 3" extractors were fitted with slight mods, just had to tuck them in a bit. PWR Radiator to suit R32 was purchased and custom shroud and fan fitted. Gearbox crossmember was fabricated

as well as custom tailshaft with masive F100 front Uni. Jim Berry supplied custom clutch and flywheel. Factory LS1 wiring harness will be fitted.

Custom fuel cell was modified to house two Bosch 040 intank pumps and plumbed up with speedflow fittings through a Russell

inline filter into turbosmart reg.

I plan on running the engine aspirated at first with just a cam and valve spring change. Should make 350kw at the wheels.

Hope to fit twin Disco potatoes later down the track.

post-20078-1191449175_thumb.jpg

post-20078-1191449345_thumb.jpg

post-20078-1191449459_thumb.jpg

post-20078-1191449625_thumb.jpg

post-20078-1191449987_thumb.jpg

post-20078-1191450111_thumb.jpg

post-20078-1191450218_thumb.jpg

post-20078-1191450440_thumb.jpg

post-20078-1191450656_thumb.jpg

post-20078-1191451384_thumb.jpg

post-20078-1191451951_thumb.jpg

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It took about 4 hours to mount the engine and box, about the same to mount the rack. the headers took a couple of hours to modify, fuel system took about 8 hours. still have to wire it but that shouldnt take to long. could easily do it in a week if you didnt have to wait for parts to be made, eg clutch, tailshaft, radiator etc.

;) how long did it take from the initial fit to turning the key?

why have u been telling people u are building a Rb25 when we are putting a V8 in it........

Why do you think I had it delivered to my house? I didn't want it to catch whatever your 32 has.

its not a disease, its the natural evolution. 500kw on 10psi standard internals is not sick.

Why do you think I had it delivered to my house? I didn't want it to catch whatever your 32 has.

its not a disease, its the natural evolution. 500kw on 10psi standard internals is not sick.

You're right, as usual. The sickness is with the owner and not the car.

man it's been done heaps, ls1's are shithouse should of got a proper v8... afterall it's a holden.... but either way nice work....

LS1's are Chev's but I like your thinking.

whats a proper V8? it makes you wonder why its been done heaps if Ls1s are shit. but u know what your talking about, ill pull it out tonight.

man it's been done heaps, ls1's are shithouse should of got a proper v8... afterall it's a holden.... but either way nice work....
Edited by BezerkR32

whats a proper V8? it makes you wonder why its been done heaps if Ls1s are shit. but u know what your talking about, ill pull it out tonight.

BWAAAAHAHAHAH!!! :laughing-smiley-014:

Nice work mate.

How did the weight of the LS1 and gearbox compare to the weight of the RB30, geabox, front diff and transfer case?

Twin Turb's FTW, should have fit them first. :thumbsup:

I'd say the new motor would be lighter than the old one but the gearbox from the Commodore is monstrous. This car never had a front diff or a transfer case btw. :D

yeh, the engine is lighter being full alloy and having plastic intake, the new headers are also alot lighter

than the cast ones. the flywheel will also be lighter as well as the clutch assy as we are going from the standard 12.5" truck setup to a 10.5" clutch, actually using a GTR pressure plate, but the Tremec is big, think of a R33 5 speed then add 20 kilos. Its all good though as the weight is in the middle of the car and the engine sits further back than the inline six also. The turbos are something i would like to do, but want to run the car aspirated first. turbos, manifolds, plumbing, pipework, intercooler would add about 80kilos to the front of the car and would cost about $5500, not just yet. hoping to make around 350rwkw aspirated and turn the engine to 7000rpm, should be fun in a car that ways 1000kg.

I'd say the new motor would be lighter than the old one but the gearbox from the Commodore is monstrous. This car never had a front diff or a transfer case btw. :laugh: