SAU Community

Series 3 R33gtr Gearbox

fieds83

IMHO with you running that sort of power I'd go an OS replacement gear set...with the initial parts cost plus fitting it won't be too much more than trying to find a GOOD s/h series 3 box.

If moneys is short just replace with a good 2nd hand series 1/2 box....

If money is not short, how much should i be looking to spend on a gearset?

I just found a series 3 box for $1,100+ freight which i thought to be pretty reasonable but i dont want to keep doing this over and over. The previous owner killed two boxes before me and strangley enough they have all been in 3rd gear. I am sure my triple plate clutch is not helping the cause.

Edited by fieds83

Transfer case isn't worth that much... you can swap yours onto it.

The power your running isn't killing the boxes, it's either the clutch or your driving style or both. Chances are it's the clutch killing the boxes. You could put a OS Giken gearset through your S3 box, probably cost you between 3-5k.....

Yeh, just checked greenline and they have 5 speed cross mission gearsets on sale for $2,480aud. So i would be expecting $3,500-$4,000 fitted.

Thanks for the info, the clutch is copping most of the blame in this instance though i have to admit it happened in the heat of the moment.

yeah, i had 300awkw for 18 months no dramas. re-tuned to 376 and smashed 2 of them within a month. got a ppg now. so ya a os gearset is the go. and since yours is a s3 you dont need to get the upgrade parts from nissan.

it will be cheaper in the long run. they are about 2.5k for the set. with the input shaft.

yeah. i have run a os twin, nismo twin, both damperd. nismo tripple and a r3c os. all without issue untill the power rose. my frst one(route6 ) stripped the input shaft gear.when changing to 3rd. and the second standard gearbox smashed all the teeth of 3rd after ONE QUICK change.

yeah. i have run a os twin, nismo twin, both damperd. nismo tripple and a r3c os. all without issue untill the power rose. my frst one(route6 ) stripped the input shaft gear.when changing to 3rd. and the second standard gearbox smashed all the teeth of 3rd after ONE QUICK change.

I think you would be doing pretty well to get a good series 3 box for 1100. The trouble with 2nd hand boxes is that unless you can open it up and look before you buy you are never sure what you are getting.

For the power you have listed and you have $3ish k to spend without doubt go an aftermarket gearset like an OS....I've seen way too many std boxes in GTR's break with that power (granted it was track use). If you don't have the money then try an find a good condition 2nd hand R33 box and as long as you don't have a solid center clutch and are fairly gentle with it it should last a while.

All I know is that the series 3 boxes have stronger syncros and a few other strengthened bits....maybe someone else here could provide part no's or something to identify them.

• Like 1

I think you would be doing pretty well to get a good series 3 box for 1100. The trouble with 2nd hand boxes is that unless you can open it up and look before you buy you are never sure what you are getting.

For the power you have listed and you have $3ish k to spend without doubt go an aftermarket gearset like an OS....I've seen way too many std boxes in GTR's break with that power (granted it was track use). If you don't have the money then try an find a good condition 2nd hand R33 box and as long as you don't have a solid center clutch and are fairly gentle with it it should last a while.

All I know is that the series 3 boxes have stronger syncros and a few other strengthened bits....maybe someone else here could provide part no's or something to identify them.

I don't know if it helps but here ya go:

Series 2 box:

Part Num: 32010-12U00

Series 3 box:

Part Num: 32010-12U10

Nissan list 32010-12U10 as the "alternate part" for series 2 but list 32010-12U60 as the alternate for series 3 R33 GTR.

Looking inside the box itself theres a load of parts to compare and im lazy.

I don't know if it helps but here ya go:

Series 2 box:

Part Num: 32010-12U00

Series 3 box:

Part Num: 32010-12U10

Nissan list 32010-12U10 as the "alternate part" for series 2 but list 32010-12U60 as the alternate for series 3 R33 GTR.

Looking inside the box itself theres a load of parts to compare and im lazy.

Thanks for your help Kris, hows your gtr going? Did you end up with those GTSS's?

Thanks for your help Kris, hows your gtr going? Did you end up with those GTSS's?

Buying them soon - heading to Japan in January and picking them up there.

Car's going well though.

You bought a S3 now? You found one you liked?

Buying them soon - heading to Japan in January and picking them up there.

Car's going well though.

You bought a S3 now? You found one you liked?

Yeh, got a good deal on this one from a forum member. When i rectify this gearbox issue i will transport the car upto Mackay as my dad just bought a house there so now i have somewhere to keep an extra car. Was thinking to go 34 but this one has some tastefull mods and was a lot cheaper. As it happens my mate wants to sell his 34 at bargain basement now, its very tempting but i just bought this car and i am not ready to let it go.