SAU Community

R34 Highbeam

jrm

Hi again guys,

Since I bought by R34 4-door 10 months ago now I've been annoyed by the yellow-ish highbeam out of the standard R34 GT-T headlights. I went down to Repco to ask them about it and they told me they're Xenon highbeam and I'm up for something crazy like $250 a globe to replace these with something a bit whiter.

This seems to conflict with what I've read on the forums about the highbeam on R34 just being regular globes. I've looked as best as I can through the headlight glass as the bulbs and they do look kinda weird - like they have some sort of solid wire that runs to the end of the globe - the Repco guys reckoned that was a clear indicator it wasn't a standard globe but a xenon.

Does anyone know what sort of globes these might be? I've searched both the forums and google and come up with no luck. Ripping apart the headlight assembly to get into the globes to rip them out and take a closer look is a last resort - it looks like a real pain (I sure cant get my hands behind there to replace highbeams without taking out the whole headlight!). I can probably get a pic or two of the globe through the headlight glass if that helps.

So guys - if you have any idea - let me know! :thumbsup:

Jenna

Sounds like a hid globe to me. I find it a bit stupid having a hid globe as high beams though. You're not recommended to flash hid globes and when you flash, you use the high beams.

If they are hid globes then they'll cost you quite a bit. Not worth changing it for the looks. Looks that last for like 2 sec if you don't drive in the outback.

• 4 weeks later...

The high beams are just standard Halogen and they are always more yellow than the Xenon's. The reason is that the Xenon's take too long to fire up so they use halogen instead. I wouldn't bother changing them as you'll only ever use them in back streets and dark roads etc :ninja:

yeh the high beams aren't hid the main lights are hid, with my 34 when you hit the high beams it comes up yellow like a normal car light, but they come on and the hid dont turn off so all 4 lights are on, id say just take out the high beams and see if you can get some blue type bulbs for them probably h1's same as r33 id imagine

• 2 months later...
yeh the high beams aren't hid the main lights are hid, with my 34 when you hit the high beams it comes up yellow like a normal car light, but they come on and the hid dont turn off so all 4 lights are on, id say just take out the high beams and see if you can get some blue type bulbs for them probably h1's same as r33 id imagine

Heh, well I finally got convinced someone to rip out the globe on the highbeam to check it out - what can I say - sometimes I don't feel like getting my hands dirty or breaking nails (like I always seem to)... :D

... Anyways, cut a long-story short - looks like they are HID on the highbeam. From what we can see, looks like someone converted the highbeams to HID, installed a ballast, etc - before I even got the car (I'm the first aussie owner). :D

The really crazy thing is - they then installed really crappy 'yellow' HID bulbs. For a car that I bought that was verystock - original exhaust, tape-deck, etc - I didn't think I'd find any modifications at all. Perhaps this is something crazy from compliancing - I ended up with someone elses headlights... who knows

Anyways, I checked out the prices of better colored HID globes and nearly fell over ... $400ish for the pair .. ouch. I think I'm going to have to learn to live with yellowish high-beam :P

Jenna

man thats tuff. i went to replace my high beams for the same reason, only thing i found was that the phillips manual said tey were h1 but infact the standard r34 high beams are hb3 globes.

if u convert them back, use hb3 crystal vision globes for that white look like m3 bmw.

• 4 months later...

Soooo .. to bring a long ago thread back ...

When I was replacing my regular low-beam D2R HIDs today, I thought I'd have a second-look at the high-beams that I originally started this thread about. The connector thingy at the bottom is marked as a 'HIR1', but the rest of the bulb looks like a regular HID with the wire along the side of it n all.

HIR apparently standards for 'Halogen Infrared Reflecting', but all the google searches I've done don't look anything like those sorts of bulbs in the bulb part - but it's that sort of side-wise pointing connector.

HIR Bulb Stuff

Does anyone know whether all R34 highbeam have this HIR type connector, or what? A hit of 'HIR', 'HIR1', 'HIR2' all show nothing when I try the search function.

As always, I'd love everyone else's thoughts :blink:

Jen

Edit: Found a picture of the same sort of bulb online:

yhst-91565365470012_1997_234771.jpg

dude, i'm in the same boat as you...

i asked to replaced my high beam globes with whiter ones, got given H1 globes and were told they'd fit perfect, when i went to change them they looked like weird and nothing like what i got sold, exactly how they look in the picture you've posted above...

would appreciate what others have to say in regards to replacing these etc. in a cost efficient way...

seems to me the owner of my GT-T in Japan did what yours did too

i already told u guys, GET PHILLIPS HB3 CRYSTAL VISION GLOBES... $90 for a pair and they straight swap out with the old ones. they also come with matching white globes for your parkers...

i already told u guys, GET PHILLIPS HB3 CRYSTAL VISION GLOBES... $90 for a pair and they straight swap out with the old ones. they also come with matching white globes for your parkers...

Looking on http://www.philipslighting.com.au/CV.htm they could be the HB3 or HB4.

How do we know there isn't a HID ballast there, and these are some sort of Xenon globe - they sure look xenon to me (and the guy at the shop sure thought they were xenon - holding an actual xenon globe and this globe next to each other they were identical except the plug). Can you run a xenon over a HB3/4 type plug? The globes on that page look like regular halogen type.

Is this the standard plug type for other R34s? Are they delivered from the factory with a HB3/4?

Any other thoughts on how to check things?

Jenna

lol i got same yellow highbeams.. they dont really do much with these stock blue xenons which came with car.. do yours make a cool scary face aswell :P lol

post-45807-1211948869_thumb.jpg

That's a farkin BAD beam of light you've got there man. The WORSE glare I've seen on a skyline. What did you do? You've been blinding on coming traffic, have you had any flashes? :P

Oh shit, just read the thread title again and it says "highbeam" hahah. If that's your high beam pattern then that's still shit. :banana:

I thought it was low beam pattern for a minute there. :P

lol i got same yellow highbeams.. they dont really do much with these stock blue xenons which came with car.. do yours make a cool scary face aswell :) lol

Nah nothing like that on mine - just annoying yellowness compared to the bright white / blue xenons - they produce great light but eh .. I'm picky :)

Cool "face" you produced on the photo from the glare though! :bunny:

i get abused sometimes cause of my headlights lol cause people think im driving behind them high beaming, all my mates complain about them to me when i drive behind cause there too bright.. so most probably need to do something about that hey lol. once blown anyway. *cough*

Looking on http://www.philipslighting.com.au/CV.htm they could be the HB3 or HB4.

How do we know there isn't a HID ballast there, and these are some sort of Xenon globe - they sure look xenon to me (and the guy at the shop sure thought they were xenon - holding an actual xenon globe and this globe next to each other they were identical except the plug). Can you run a xenon over a HB3/4 type plug? The globes on that page look like regular halogen type.

Is this the standard plug type for other R34s? Are they delivered from the factory with a HB3/4?

Any other thoughts on how to check things?

Jenna

Yep they're not HID...same as what I've got, just a flashy bulb :thumbsup:

If you want to replace high beam bulb on R34 the Philips HB3 Hallogen bulb is near perfect fit.

You'll need to slightly modify the plastic fitting in order to fit it in, 20sec. job and you'll be sweet. I've just done it today.

• 6 months later...

from reading around the net it could be they are a bulb called HIR

they are halogen bulbs with an infrared (H IR) coating on them to make them burn hotter / brighter

google HIR bulb and you will see they look the same (look for a site named candlepower)