SAU Community

Stock Rev-limit On R33 Rb25det?

Fat_Tony

Would there be a reason why my engine revs until 8000?

Is there a way to adjust the rev-limiter?

Change gears earlier LOL, seriously its not making power up there anyway, and its not going to do teh conrods much good. Its probably got a remapped ecu, have a look at the ecu and see if its got any stickers on it.

Just checked the ECU, no stickers other than the original part. no. 23710 21U01.

I thought the stock ECU couldn't be tweaked? I gotta get a rev-limiter adjusted, don't want to f*ck me car.

use the rev limiter god gave you - your brain.. :P

funny you should say that. I have a central 20 ecu, and it has two limits set, a soft limit at 7200 rpm and a hard limit at 8500.

If i sit in neutral, and blimp the throtle, the car will rev straight up to 8500 and basically turn of anf off, not like a rpm limiter at all, but if the car is in gear, and you blimp the throtle it will only go up to 7200 and no more. strange

sorry to go a little of topic but at what revs does the power ban stop??? i normally change at 6500 and at times when i get a little to excited change it exactly on 7k.

so when one would be dragging (legally ofcoarse) whats the best rev to change gears in?

It should be 6900rpm as has been said. Much more than that... particularly on a relatively stock car... and you're going to do some damage over time.

The OP has asked a legitimate question, and you all act like you've never bounced it before... haha.

lol!

rev limit is there to be smash in an rb... no need for shiftlight when ur hear it smashing of the limiter u know its time to change gears..

8000rpm is alittle high but maybe its just ur tacho jumping around when u hit it

Actually it went past 8000 so I'm not 100% sure where its stopping. Hope I haven't damaged the engine.

lol!

rev limit is there to be smash in an rb... no need for shiftlight when ur hear it smashing of the limiter u know its time to change gears..

8000rpm is alittle high but maybe its just ur tacho jumping around when u hit it

actually, thats a really poorly thought out statement.

The limiter isn't there to be smashed, its there to semi protect the engine from over rev.

A lot of people don't realise that hitting the rev limiter is quite dangerous (if its a hard limiter which the stock ECU and powerfc is) - It spreads uneven power over the crank, forcing it all over the place. And in some cases, crank walk. This is very bad, I have pulled down an engine and seen what happens when you bounce it off constantly. Its not pretty.

I've been down the drag strip 20+ times and out of 20 runs x 4 gear changes each (Total of 80 high rpm gear changes), I've probably hit the limiter less times that I can count on one hand. Its not hard. Just use your common sense.

And no, its not an indication on when to shift. If you need a rev limiter to know when to change gears, then you should sell your car and by a push bike.

Actually it went past 8000 so I'm not 100% sure where its stopping. Hope I haven't damaged the engine.

You'll be right, just don't rev it past 7,000rpm anymore.

lol or buy my Gizzmo interface :sick: (http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/t189545.html) it will plug straight in without ANY soldering. Can be used as launch control or rev limiter. Has a shift light too ;)

Edited by The Mafia

actually, thats a really poorly thought out statement.

The limiter isn't there to be smashed, its there to semi protect the engine from over rev.

A lot of people don't realise that hitting the rev limiter is quite dangerous (if its a hard limiter which the stock ECU and powerfc is) - It spreads uneven power over the crank, forcing it all over the place. And in some cases, crank walk. This is very bad, I have pulled down an engine and seen what happens when you bounce it off constantly. Its not pretty.

I've been down the drag strip 20+ times and out of 20 runs x 4 gear changes each (Total of 80 high rpm gear changes), I've probably hit the limiter less times that I can count on one hand. Its not hard. Just use your common sense.

And no, its not an indication on when to shift. If you need a rev limiter to know when to change gears, then you should sell your car and by a push bike.

You'll be right, just don't rev it past 7,000rpm anymore.

lol or buy my Gizzmo interface :) (http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/t189545.html) it will plug straight in without ANY soldering. Can be used as launch control or rev limiter. Has a shift light too :)

never had an issue with my engine ... never said anything about drag racing... thats a difference story.

my 25 revs out to 7300rpm without a problem, no point stopping at 7000rpm when i make power all the way to 7300rpm :)

and if u miss it i was joking lol! guess u never heard the joke - limiter is the blind man's shift light? lol

lol!