SAU Community

new ignition setup?

ron

hi all,

i was just wondering about some RB engines i have seen around.

some of them have the 6 coilpacks replaced with high tension leads running to the spark plugs instead.

has the ignition module and the coil been replaced with aftermarket units? or how is this done?

any advantages other than easier to change the plugs?

can someone please advise.

ron

believe this is done to allow bigger coilpacks, therefore bigger spark. Very handy if you are running CDI.

Have only seen it done on a track GTR, it was using 6 ford 6 cylinder coil packs, ie, each coilpack was used by ford on the falcons to run six sparkplugs, was hooked up to its own plug.

I have been told that just by removing the cover on the stock coilpacks will aid cooling as well (of the coilpacks)

I have thought about this mod. Surely it wouldnt be that hard to wire up a ignitor then run some high tension leads to the plugs. Sure as hell would make life much easier and more reliable too.

yer, removing that plastic cover probably will aid heat dissipation, but it sure looks ugly.

I did it for a week or two and didn't notice massive differences, realised "man that looks crap" and put it back on.

ive seen this done using the factory coils bolted to the firewall runnin ht leads to the spark plugs ona factory computer

but i dont think u can use the bosh gt40 coils with the factory igtion system coz the gt40 coils have 2 wires + and - were as the factory system has 3 wires + and - and a signal wire tryin to find out what the signal wire does at the moment

hi,

what steve said earlier sounds right by using some Ford coils to replace. I had a look in an MSD catalog and found some modules that may work for 6 cly of course, but dunno about the cost.

i took my cover off a while a go but cannot tell any different.

but it will sure cool the packs down.

the car that i saw was stock by the way, man!!! should ve had a better look!!!!

ron

Hi guys, if you are loking at more than 750 bhp then upgrading the standard coils may be worthwhile, under that it's a waste of money.

If you are looking at more than 750 bhp, then 6 individual coil packs suitable for CDI would be the best choice. No hi tension leads as they add another area for problems. On the Motec CDI equiped race cars we use Mercury outboard coils at the plugs mounted on a fabricated rail.

Hope that helps

When you look at the age of coil packs on a R32 in particular, we need to start thinking about alternative and newer methods to ensure reliability of the vehicle if we decide to own it for a few more years.

Another benefit is the ease of changing plugs. I hate that job and im sure there are other out there that do to.

I have thought about getting my hands on a crow cams amplifier pack and wiring it into the loom so it recieves the signal from the ignition pack then power is transferred to the plugs through hi tension leads?

Not really interested in adding hi tension leads but would be keen to find a cheaper replacement for when the coils die.

I guess you could resite the coil rails to mount on the rocker cover and run very short plug leads

These cars you see running aftermarket coils are using aftermarket ECU's.

Around 1 year ago, I saw an RB with I think it was a VP coil pack running high tension leads.

A few phone calls later and I was told that it is impossible with the stock ECU.

The standard coils are good enough for around 700hp so replacing them is a waste of time and money, heat soak is what kills them a CDI is a good fix for this problem as the dwell is reduced resulting in a decrease in coil heating. The standard coils have 3 wires running to them 1 pos 1 neg and the other is a ground connection to the cyl head.

cheers

Hi guys, the standard RB ignition coils are not really designed for use with a CDI. A CDI works by repeated rapid discharges from a capacitor during a single plug firing. The standard RB coils are designed for one single discharge per firing.

So if you intend to drive the coils with a CDI, then you really should use coils designed for multiple discharges. Otherwise you are not going to see the best effect from using a CDI. The cheapest/best CDI capable coils we have found are the Mercury outboard coils I previously mentioned.

Realistically I have found a very, very low percentage of RB standard coil failures. Plus good second hand ones have proven very easy and cheap to locate. High tension lead failure is a far more likely occurrence, so I avoid them. As Mort posted, over 700 bhp and I would think seriously about CDI with on plug coils, under that and its a waste of time and money.

Hope that clarifies