SAU Community

Subs or no subs??

Hicks

Hey,

I have 2 12'' kicker subs, and 2 amps from my last car and have not yet fitted them into this one due to the fact im scarred the weight in the boot will take away performance.

Does anyone here have a similar set up? Did it make a noticable diference when they were fitted??

Cheers,

Hicks.

i have a non turbo r33 with a fairly big install in my boot (the one in my avatar) and it hasnt dramitcally effected handling or performance so i imagine with urs being a turbo the difference would be even less.

I just installed a sub, and the parcel shelf rattles - only because its a bodgy design in the skyline.. Best off to rig up a custom shelf, even if you don't need it for bigger speakers, etc.

Haven't noticed any power loss due to the sub in the boot. If anything might hold those rear wheels down a bit more.

yeah my boot rattles like mad, my parcel shelf is made out of 4 mm MDF so no rattles there. As soo as i have a bit more money im gonna sounds deaden the boot and doors, i constantly find myself pulling off the door trims and tightening the screws that hold my splits in, and there lock tighted and everything, bass does some funyn things i spose....

haha, its also fairly expensive, that basically what stopping me just got other priorities for things to do to my car i can live with rattles for now.

I hate rattles!

My lancer sounded like it was about to fall to pieces(it probably was) from the outside when my stereo was loud. Inside was fine though.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Moschops

Damn vibration. :D :D

(actually it's named 'fake' as the board's still untrimmed. Added with Photoshop)

Regarding that Pic how safe is it to have a Sub with there huge magnets that close to the battery, fuse block and Hicas ECU?

Depends on the car as well as how much gear is in your install as too whether or not it will affect performance and handling a great deal. In r32's i've been in, a 12" in a pretty average enclosure (only 8mm mdf i think) makes no real difference. The biggest weight factor is usually the box so you can save weight by bracing a thinner walled mdf box so it doesn't flex as much and reduce thickness.

Guest neoGT-25

i have a non turbo R34 and it still has the spare tyre and jack (coming out tomorow) aswell as a 12" sub & amp... can the weight of the sub & amp be equal to the weight of the space saver wheel and jack?

I took out my spare and jack too.

Gradenko, good splits and an amp will not give you what you want, trust me. I've decided that im gonna keep my front splits, install my 2 amps and buy those new pioneer 6x9s. (yellow cevlar lookin ones)