SAU Community

Pod Filters Legal?

they will be legal to my knowlage so long as you have the following contected,

pcv hose, o2 sensor, afm (basicly dont touch any hoses that are on the intake pip and you should be fine.

i got done buy a gop once for my pod told my boss the next day (was defected) and see it's legal casue all emission controlls were conected.

i think (in vic) you're only allowed one intake mod (so you can choose one out of pod, larger front/side mounts, bigger throttle bodies, bigger turbos etc). but also it's an epa violation if the pod is an oiled filter (eg K&N) whereas a dry filter (A'Pexi etc) is legal as long as you comply with the 1 intake mod rule.

it is confusing. i remember reading on boostcruising that the rda said u can only have 1 intake mod ie. a pod OR a fmic.

but if u had both, it is defectable?!?!!

and it has to be fastened in place, but they brought in a new one, that it has to be enclosed in a box

*this is scary when a cop was looking ova my engine bay, and i asked him if the pod was defectable (this was like 1yr to 6mths ago) it was a perception thing. in that different cops may think its defectable, when others are fine with it.!!!!

WTF???

Edited by r33cruiser

check with your local authorities, it varies from state to state.

some states are only allowed one induction mod (i.e. filter OR intercooler)

some require the pod only to be braced

some require enclosed

do the research

some states don't even care, it's what the booking officer decides.

Hi Guys,

I work as a cop in NSW so I can give an insight on the legalities but only obviously for NSW.

Pod filters are illegal unless you have an enclosure. Further, blow offs can't vent into the atmosphere.. Basically if you have a engineer's certificate you are generally fine, but from my experiences most ppl never do especially with the tachos on the 'A' pillar. At the end of the day most cops will let it slide as long as you're not a smart arse when spoken to. And most general duties cops won't know what a pod filter is...

Hope this helps,

In wa your allowed a pod filter as long as you have a bracket made up to secure it, it doesnt have to be inclosed and it can be oiled.

Just got a gtst across the pits, with a pod, fmic, exhaust and bov and they dont really care as long as its secured and wont fall off.

Like everyone said this will vary from state to state, and most of the time if your not a dickhead the cop will let you go, but the second your a smart ass they'll find something to defect you for even if its legal..

• 3 months later...

Its best that your pod filter is boxed, for legal reasons and for proformance reasons.

Proformace wise, sucking in dirt, water and other crap prob isnt the best for any engine.

I have a clear case for R33 N/A's pods for sale, PM if interested.

PodCover3.jpg

PodCover1.jpg

Podcover2.jpg

regards, Evan

Edited by EMZ R33

the word on the street in SA (not the law) is the pod must be secure to be legal. Mine is secure, (with a bracket) but i guess it depends what officer you get.

There are many inconsistencies with this issue.

From my knowledge it must be enclosed to be legal. But it's still defectable if an officer decides it's defectable.

I doubt it's a problem in most cases when it's enclosed and you're just honest with cops, but if you're defected you have to change it to a stock airbox unless you have an engineer's certif. (which still isn't a guarantee).

I think in real-world circumstances you can manage fine with a pod, but it's always a grey-area.