SAU Community

How To Get More Power From A Naturally Aspirated (na) Engine

Eug

So. Let the hate begin. New. Always been interested in cars since a very young age. Only 19, since owned 3 cars. A mirage. Great little car. Subura rx 2L non turbo. Never going back unless turbo sti. And finally just bought a r33 non turbo. Had a blown motor. Replaced it with second hand. Loving life. It's amazing.

Now, I still have my blown motor. If block and head are repairable. Thinking of building a mild n/a , a starting platform you could say. So was thinking.

20 thou over bore.

Light weight pistions and rods.

Standard crank.

Lighten flywheel.

Port and polished head.

Solid lifter conversion.

Upgraded valves and valve springs.

Big cam. Not sure on exact size yet

Hks adjustable cam gears.

Eliminate vct.

Set of headers. Full 2.5 inch headers back. Hi flow car etc etc.

after market front facing intake with 88mm throttle body.

Pod filter for shits and gigs and that +5hp.

Spilt fire coil packs.

And a haltech ecu plug and play.

And a 50-75 shot of nos.

meth injected.

And a cute little oil cooler.

Yes I know. Why not just turbo it ? Well because I don't see why everything has to forced induction. I don't see this as a bad starting point. And this isn't a everyday drive motor either. Just something I can have a bit of fun in.

The is more. Like deck head and block for 11.1 compression ratio over factory 10.1... I'm asking for your opinions. If it sounds good. Not. Don't bother etc etc. cause I will . I'm more interested in cam sizing options. And if there are other things in the motor I need to address. I can do most of the work myself. So don't go saying don't bother. I won't response or care on it.

Do it. Wasting money to hardly make power always makes me smile.

Why get rid if vct? So you can lose what little midrange you have?

In all seriousness the only sensible thing you suggested is using nitrous. Do that on a second hand engine. The rest is throwing money away.

Perhaps before deciding in building the engine, see if you can go for a drive in a mildly modded turbo.

• Like 2

Is the n/a rb that unresponsive to modifications ? Wow... I knew they were bad but not this bad. What about cams and just full exhaust ? Like they must help some what ? I'm still getting plug and play ecu. And after market coil packs. Just for future purposes, seen some. Gutted interiors with buckets. Thinking of ditching interior. Got no need for it. I'm not after a people pleaser. XD

The is more. Like deck head and block for 11.1 compression ratio over factory 10.1... I'm asking for your opinions. If it sounds good. Not. Don't bother etc etc. cause I will . I'm more interested in cam sizing options. And if there are other things in the motor I need to address. I can do most of the work myself. So don't go saying don't bother. I won't response or care on it.

The issue with the engine that you need to address is that for what you will spend on an N.A. to make 200hp, you could buy a turbo engine and mod it to make 350hp+

• 4 months later...

So with much thought and research im back with a vengeance [emoji23] just kidding got a few things to ask. And see what I get in response. Looking at upgrading tb to 90mm. A set of 272 duration and 9.1mm lift Kelford cans and there valve springs set to go with it. A nistune ecu. And most likely either r33 turbo injectors or slightly uprated injectors. Catback 2.5 inch exhaust.I'm curious. On what you think my power increase would be? My earlier post. Was me being a idiot. And not realising that street and race car don't mix. Yes i am going turbo. But I wanted to explore a bit more of the n/a power before so. Either way. Theses few little upgrades go hand in hand with a turbo aswell. Do you think it's quite possible to reach 140hp ? Considering most stock n/a are at about 95-100hp

You'll get a lot more enjoyment chasing response and sound from an NA than trying to make that extra 5kw - Chasing power with NA's gets really expensive really quickly

As much as i love a high revving NA engine screaming it's head off, i don't feel RB is the best base to start, something like a 4AGE would yield better results/$