SAU Community

R35 Gtr - Costly Rebuilds At 100k - Fact Or Fiction?

Got Boost?

I heard today that Nissan have chosen to Plasma coat the crankshaft in the the R35's and apparently they specify this needs to be redone every 100000km's. I also heard it will be very expensive and there are next to no workshops in Australia that currently use this technology regularly even though its common in the states. Was told it would almost be as cheap to buy a new motor? This was from a reliable source, won't go dropping names in case it turns out he was led up the garden path but yeah. Just wanted some thoughts!

In the current issue of motor magazine it states quote "3.8 litre twin turbo V6, featuring exotic materials such as plasma sprayed bores (requiring a tear down service program each 12 months!)" end quote. What does this mean? I dont know but if someone could shed some light on the situation it would be nice to know, sounds expensive though!

pretty much my motto on cars is;

if you can afford to buy it, you can afford to run it.

Yeah thats fair enough, but one would imagine that forking out over 15k for a motor at 100000km's is a big outlay. Id assume the motor would probably be a hell of a lot more then that to? Being titanium everything and technology that is completely new and previously unseen.

In the current issue of motor magazine it states quote "3.8 litre twin turbo V6, featuring exotic materials such as plasma sprayed bores (requiring a tear down service program each 12 months!)"

this couldn't possibly be true- because to sell cars in California, the engine has to be able to endure a 120,000 mile (193,000km) durability test without a component change (apart from filters and oil) or rebuild, and still meet emissions regulations.

Sounds like someone has their facts mixed up. Plasma build up is a process used for building up damaged shafts / bores etc. We use it a lot in rebuilding big gearboxes (6"-20" diameter shafts). The ONLY reason it's used is because it minimises the heat build up during the repair process, and gives a fairly hard surface finish.

Note that it's only used in the repair process. The original manufacture relies on good old machining / surface treatment (induction harden / case carburising etc.). These shafts sell for upwards of a million bucks each. If plasma welding was so good, they'd use it when they built the things new.

Maybe the bores have some coating to reduce friction (because anything that improves hardness would give a better than 100,000km life, so I doubt it would be to improve hardness), but I doubt it's the typical plasma build up process.

Edited by warps

Would this plasma coating be referring to a type of coating in the bores that has been used on 2 and 4 stroke motorbikes for years?

Ive had a couple of bikes that use a nickel/silicone coating in the bores thats applied by plasma when manufactured. The coating is extremely hard and therefore has zero bore wear, unlike conventional cast iron bores.

Would this plasma coating be referring to a type of coating in the bores that has been used on 2 and 4 stroke motorbikes for years?

Ive had a couple of bikes that use a nickel/silicone coating in the bores thats applied by plasma when manufactured. The coating is extremely hard and therefore has zero bore wear, unlike conventional cast iron bores.

Yeh I've heard of the Nicasil process (First came across it on a mate's go kart engine in 1984, so been around for a while). Didn't know that they applied using the plasma process though. I've only dealt with plasma welding / spraying of ferritic material to build up worn components.

I guess they might be using something similar to the nicasil, but it astounds me that the engine would need a rebuild after only 100,000km with this stuff.

Was reading here http://press.nissan-global.com/PRESSKIT/NI...LISH/index.html (go to MECHANISM then ENGINE)

where it says instead of cast sleeves in an aluminium block, the unsleeved bores are plasma coated instead (0.15mm instead of 2.5mm sleeves). Better heat transfer, less weight, yada yada...

If this need maintainence every 100k then holy crap thats a bad idea!

Ya, when they talk about plasma coating the bores it's the same as the method they use on motorbikes. I can't remember where I was reading it, it had nothing to do with the new GTR but talking about doing it to car engines. For the reason you stated, less bore wear, but I doubt it would have to be redone every 100K I thought the whole point of it from the article I was reading was to extend engine life.....

In the current issue of motor magazine it states quote "3.8 litre twin turbo V6, featuring exotic materials such as plasma sprayed bores (requiring a tear down service program each 12 months!)" end quote. What does this mean? I dont know but if someone could shed some light on the situation it would be nice to know, sounds expensive though!

This sounds like a crock of shite. Some people only do 5-10K per 12 months, let alone 100,000Km which could take 10 years. Like people have said above aussie journos writing crap to fill lines on a page.

maybe the bores are coated in teflon ;)

wheels and motor magazine journo's couldn't accurately describe the mechanics of a horse drawn cart let alone a car.

Of course they could! First, shoot the horse. Next load the horse into the cart. The say 'what was the question again?' :D