SAU Community

How To Install Apexi Turbo Timer

H@ME

APEXI FULL AUTO TIMER FOR TURBO & NA

Hey there guys after alot of time reasearching how to install turbo timers etc, i could not come up with and DIY instructions for an Apexi Full Auto timer for N/A & Turbo, i have had the timer sitting on my garage wall of parts for a while and since there was no DIY instructions anywhere for this timer on R33 i was affaid to install it. Anyhow 2 months later, i have decided to just go for it.

So, this is a tutorial for how to install a Apexi full Auto timer for N/A & Turbo.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Apex Auto Timer allows the vehicle to idle for a preset amount of time after the ignition key has been removed. In turbocharged vehicles this prevents hot oil in the engine from coking up in the lines. Hard driving can raise engine oil temperatures to dangerously high levels. Proper cool down is essential for a healthy turbo and engine.

The Auto Timer stands as a technological marvel. The pen shaped, compact size makes the Auto Timer one of the smallest turbo timers on the market. This allows a clean and stylish installation virtually anywhere inside the car. The unique multi angle joystick button allows easy navigation through the many feature menus.

Upgraded in every way from the previous model, the new Auto Timer can automatically determine the necessary amount of after idling time. A Manual Mode allows the user to preset desired idling times from 0 sec.~10 minutes in 16 increments. By inputting O2 sensor voltage, the Timer can also display theoretical air fuel ratio. Since the Auto Timer uses the factory O2 sensor which is primarily designed for emissions, the readings may not be as accurate as racing air/fuel ratio monitors. The Timer can also display critical data such as O2 sensor voltage and Battery Voltage. To prevent potential theft while running, the handbrake safety feature shuts off the vehicle when the handbrake is released without the ignition key.

CONCEPT:

Provide turbos wind-down time

CHARACTERISTICS:

Easy to use; Simple and attractive design

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

!!!Caution/Achtung/Attenzione!!!

Follow this guide at your own risk. You have been warned. We are not responsible for any actions you take. The information contained here is a guide and should be acted upon with consultation from your local tuner. If you are unsure or are not confident don't do it.

Items you will need include:

- The Controll unit

post-36645-1195725420_thumb.jpg

- Relay Unit

post-36645-1195725451_thumb.jpg

- Specific wiring harness

post-36645-1195725479_thumb.jpg

- Double-Sided sticky tape

- Splices, binders, soldering iron, electrical tape (either of these)

- Vehicle Specific Chart

post-36645-1195725292_thumb.jpg

- Instruction Manual

post-36645-1195725393_thumb.jpg

- Flat head screw driver

- Phillips head screw driver

- Scissors

- Zip ties

- socket set (or spanner 10mm)

ON relay -

black wire = ECU ground

white wire = ECU o2 sensor

grey wire = Hand brake switch

step one

Disconnect the negative terminal off the battery (battery located in boot). [use 10mm socket or spanner] - make sure wire is kept away from terminal.

step two

Undo the bolts underneath the steering collumn [use phillips head screw driver] - think there is six bolts.

post-36645-1195727213_thumb.jpg

step three

Once the screws are all out keep them somewhere safe (a jar?) now gently pull apart the plastic peices surronding the steering collumn. Once these are off there should be easy access to the key clynder.

post-36645-1195725617_thumb.jpg post-36645-1195725881_thumb.jpg

step four

Pull the harness coming from the key cylinder. (in come vehicles the whole key cylinder is a harness)

post-36645-1195725675_thumb.jpg

step five

Now insert the specific wiring harness. (now after many days or trying to find one, i did some research & found out that HKS specific wiring harnesses are compatible) insert the harness between the key cylinder. :)

post-36645-1195725951_thumb.jpg

step six

Connnect the three prong timer harness to the relay

post-36645-1195725996_thumb.jpg

step seven

Now you should have the specific wiring harness install with it connected to the ignition & into the relay of the turbo timer (this should not interfer with any alarm systems etc as i have one and it did not)

step eight

Use a zip tie to, connect the harness somewhere under the steering collumn area out of the way, and so it is not visible when pannel is replaced.

step nine

Feed the black and white wire behind the centre console and into the feet area of the passanger side.

step ten

Remove kick pannel on passanger side to reveal the ECU (this is in r33 not sure in other models)

post-36645-1195726063_thumb.jpg

step eleven

Splice the black wire from the relay into the Engine ECU ground wire [please refer to the vehicle specific ECU diagram]

" When not using the O2 sensor, A/F ratio monitor and automatic after idling functions, connect the ground wire to the chassis."

post-36645-1195725715_thumb.jpg

step twelve

Splice the white wire from the relay (O2 sensor signal) into the O2 sensor wire from the ECU [please refer to the vehicle specific ECU ]diagram]

step thirteen

Remove gear surround, gear knob, gear boot, to reveal 2x bolts that hold down the centre console, undo these [using phillips head screw driver] and the 2x bolts in the compartment in the centre console with the lid (they are @ the very bottom)

post-36645-1195726145_thumb.jpg

step forteen

Remove the center console completly to reveal the hand brake, so you can the the wire, the grey wire from the relay gets attached to the hand brake switch here.

- so from the relay you have the black wire to the engine ECU ground

- the white wire from the relay to the O2 sensor wire from the ECU

- the grey wire from the relay to the hand brake switch wire.

Now before you go any further reconnect the negative battery terminal [using 10mm socket or spanner] and turn the igniton on to make sure that: 1. the timer lights up and is functional, 2. everything on the dash is working lights etc 3. the car starts. :P

step fifteen

tidy up all the wiring using electrical tape to keep them secure and non visible, i lined mine under the carpet (for the ground and 02 wires) and through the centre console for the hand brake wire)

Conclusion

Once all is completed and functional, put back the centre console, gear surround, gear knob, gear boot, kick pannel (over the ECU), steering collumn surround and drivers side ignition pannel.

Hope this tutorial has helped people install the Apexi full auto timer for N/A & turbo as well as many other timers.

:ph34r::wave:

http://www.apexi-usa.com/pdf/productDocumentation/198.pdf

post-36645-1195725571_thumb.jpg

post-36645-1195726212_thumb.jpg

Edited by H@ME

• 2 weeks later...
Is this a full automatic timer and thus why that wire goes to ECU ground rather than a chassis ground?

Thanks for the question, yes you have the option of it being a full auto timer, which the unit will set the engine-after idle time to the ECU readings but the other function of the timer is to set your own time (as other timers allow)

You splice the black wire from the relay into the Engine ECU ground wire, however when not using the O2 sensor, A/F ratio monitor and automatic after idiling functions, you connect the ground wire connector to the chassis.

hope this has cleared up any confusion..

hame ;)

Thanks mate, the reason why I ask is that I have a full auto timer and the auto function doesnt work and I noticed yours was earthed to the ecu ground rather than the chassis so I might give that a try

thanks H@ME for the excellent post.

i have just purchased the same turbo timer from Repco and it doesnt even have a wiring diagram!

i was wondering where you got that HKS specific harness? i have an R34 and was wondering where i might be able to find one for that?

much appreciated.

thanks H@ME for the excellent post.

i have just purchased the same turbo timer from Repco and it doesnt even have a wiring diagram!

i was wondering where you got that HKS specific harness? i have an R34 and was wondering where i might be able to find one for that?

much appreciated.

Hey mate i got the HSK specific harness ordered in from Auto-Barn, if you need help on installing the timer, please just PM me as i do simple jobs on carz for extra work on the side. Hame :sorcerer:

Please feel free to ask any questions you want.

• 1 year later...

hey mate,

I've got the turbo timer installed on my Supra and can't get the auto feature to work.

I've installed it using the ground on the ECU

the o2 voltage works but the A/F just flashs with two hyphens '--'

i have one of these installed in my car

the auto function doesnt work, but that doenst realy bother me

what bothers me is that i cant lock the car with my remote when its stil running else the alarm goes off.

anyone know how to fix this>?

Interesting you say that, as my mate has one in his Evo8 and his is the same. Has to wait for it to time out before he locks it. Kinda defeats the purpose huh?

It could be a function on the alarm that needs to be adjusted. Some of them have a turbo timer feature, but it could be turned off. Find your manual. We had to turn the car on and off in a certain sequence to activate the turbo timer "allow" function.

Unfortunately it didnt work :( But im guessing that is because the timer wasnt actually connected in conjunction with the alarm? I dont know.

• 2 weeks later...
hello!

guys, where i can find the Specific wiring harness?? i have timer with end on 3p

depends on the brand. You'll have to find someone who sells the brand of turbo timer you have or contact the manufacturer. and if you're lucky they may still make a harness for your car. or if you're like me it's discontinued and you just have to splice everything

Body Talk

Have you ever wondered why you sometimes take an almost immediate liking to a person you have just met? Or worried about why someone you were talking to suddenly became cool and distant? The chances are that it wasn't anything that was said but something that happened: a gesture, a movement, a smile. Social scientists are now devoting considerable wow power leveling.attention to "non-verbal communication," what happens when people get together, apart from their actual conversation.

Professor Erving Goffman of the University of Pennsylvania is involved in a continuing study of the way people behave in social interaction. He feels that gestures, movements and physical closeness have meaning which the words that the people are using do not carry.

The closeness of two people when talking, movement towards and away from each other, and the amount of eye contract all reveal something about the nature of the relationship between the two individuals. We tend to be only subconsciously aware, if at all, world of warcraft gold,of the various patterns and rituals of social behavior. We expect other people to act according to the same "rules" that we do, so much so that the manners and behavior of persons from another culture can be extremely confusing.

Fox example, North Americans tend to expect more physical distance between two speakers than do Latin Americans. Consequently, when the Latin American seems to be leaning too close, the North American complains of "invasion of his space." The Latin American, on the other hand, often considers the North American to be "cold" or "distant" because he keeps a greater distance between himself and the person he is speaking to. (world of warcraft gold)

Eye contact is one way of measuring the degree of closeness of relationship between two speakers, although there are cultural variations in the meaning of eye contact. In the Middle East, for example, it is considered extremely provocative for a woman to let a man catch her eye, let alone return his gaze. Social psychologist Michael Argyle observes that there is more eye contact between people who like each other than those who are indifferent or hostile towards each other. And the longer the length of the gaze, the more likely it is that the listener is more interested in the person who is speaking, than the actual topic of conversation. Frequently looking down can indicate submissiveness or embarrassment. Looking away repeatedly may express boredom or dislike. Women tend to engage in more eye contract than men, especially when talking to other women.cd keys

But too steady eye contact can make one feel uneasy at times. Most people become uncomfortable under the intense gaze of a stare. One scientist suggests that perhaps one reason that man becomes tense under the force of a stare is in his biological ancestors: in apes, a stare signifies aggressiveness and hostility. The person who insistently fixes his eyes on our face is often more successful in arousing our dislike than impressing us with his directness and sincerity.

Similarly, the smile cannot always be interpreted as a sign of friendliness. The person who smiles almost constantly and with little apparent reason makes us uneasy. Even though he may believe that he is expressing friendliness, he may really seem nervous and tense. In other animals, bared teeth are a warning gesture, a danger sign. Aion gold

Genuine warmth or interest can be revealed in the eyes, suggests Dr. Eckhard Hess of the University of Chicago, who believes that the pupils of the eyes can indicate emotion or interest. The opened pupil tends to be associated with pleasant, satisfying experiences. That special sparkle in the lover's eyes need not be fantasy, for love may make the pupil grow larger. Sometimes when we feel that a person is "warm" or "friendly", it is possible we are reacting to a form of non-verbal communication - his opened pupils.

The next time you are at a party, take note of some of the silent messages being sent around you. Notice which persons seem to draw naturally together to speak, which others try to stay further apart or even avoid meeting each other's eyes. You may find that this silent language is much more fascinating than the actual conversation going on around you.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi.

Sorry for bumping old thread. I just got this Apexi Auto Timer second hand yesterday, and it came without manual or something related, and also without harness.

And finding vehicle specific harness from HKS or Apexi also a big problem here in Indonesia. So, any info about which cable to splice? Especially for the ignition part. Is there any cable intercepted by the timer? Or it just tapped?

Picture/photo/diagram would be very very helpful.

Thank you.

Hi.

Sorry for bumping old thread. I just got this Apexi Auto Timer second hand yesterday, and it came without manual or something related, and also without harness.

And finding vehicle specific harness from HKS or Apexi also a big problem here in Indonesia. So, any info about which cable to splice? Especially for the ignition part. Is there any cable intercepted by the timer? Or it just tapped?

Picture/photo/diagram would be very very helpful.

Thank you.

Hi.

Since no one replied, so i decided to do this by hardwiring. Pretty easy stuff actually. Here's simple instruction:

timer red goes to +12V constant (white + red stripe from ign)

timer blue goes to ACC signal (blue from ign wiring)

timer green goes to ON signal (black + yellow stripe from ign wiring)

gray goes to e-brake signal

white goes to o2 sensor

black to ECU ground if white connected to O2 sensor, to chassis if white not connected anywhere

• 2 months later...

Hello there ....i realise that this is an old threat,but i really need som help : S

i just installed a Apexi Full Auto Turbo Timer on my S13.all wires are correctly installed but i have a problem.when i turn the ignition switch off the timer starts

the countdown and when it reaches at 0 sec the timer starts all over again.so my engine wont turn off.i've tried everything i could think of.

if anyone knows the solution!!oooh also the A/F doesnt work.the red led just keeps flashing.the 02 cable is correcly installed in the ECU.

every thing is connected as it supposed to be. btw i swapped to a RB25 dont know if thath helps..

Thanks alot

• 1 month later...