SAU Community

Rear Main Seal

dmr

my rear main seal was leaking so i replaced it. now after a couple months it seems that it's leaking the slightest again. i can see oil buildup on the bottom of the gearbox.

what could be the cause of this. apart from the seal itself? my oil level seems to be fine, and i havn't got any other leaks. the new seal couldn't have shit itself already, but a few friends say the bursons seal i replaced it with it crap and i should have replaced it with genuine nissan seal.

opinions?

It can be a couple of things poor quality seal I dout it as being so new (I only

use genuine parts now as much as possible) The engine may have a bit of blow by

eg gasses getting past the pistons or the engine breather can be blocked PCV

valve (Positive crank case ventilation valve) or the baffles in the rocker covers

may be full of sludge not allowing the PCV valve to work.Sometimes I have seen

marks on the crank where the rear main seals run normally I clean it up with a

bit of fine sand paper them with degreaser or something slimilar.You said the oil

level is fine which is good as if it is over full this can make the rear main leak.

Hope this is of some help happy motoring.

Can only really be due to improper seal fitting. I recently got a new one from BSC, not fitted yet but im sure its going to be fine. Was only 15 bucks, nissan want about 100. Things to make sure are: you emeryed the crank surface the seal runs on to remove the groove. If its too deep from a hard seal then it will leak no matter what you do. Perhaps you could use a speedy sleeve if this is the case. Also check that your PCV valce isnt blocked and causing the sump to pressurise.

New seals will also leak sometimes until they seat properly i.e. rocker gaskets etc. but thats probably far off. Dont over fill her either

Try what the guys said, soak your PCV valve in some thinners/degreaser and shake her until it moves freely. Should relieve any pressure off the seals

O/wise after preparing the gasket surface again, use plenty of gasket gooooooooooo

You could always put oil glue in there (stopleak crap) but then your just asking for trouble