SAU Community

Most Powerful Rb20?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If anyone has link to dyno graph of legend01, link me please. (couldn't find it)

This is the entire thread

Post with pics and dyno graph

I love to shove that post just above in every single pod filter and forward facing plenum thread I can.

Roy's 260rwkw RB20 is a $600 wreckers engine with all his goodies bolted to it.

see video of roy's car in my sig

This is the entire thread

Post with pics and dyno graph

I love to shove that post just above in every single pod filter and forward facing plenum thread I can.

Roy's 260rwkw RB20 is a $600 wreckers engine with all his goodies bolted to it.

see video of roy's car in my sig

Best RB20 engine bay I've ever seen. Bar none.

Little sceptical, inlet temp is rather high 42degC, would prefer the sensor left off car altogether or reading more similar reading to ambient, as it increases hp figures by a fair wack that sensor and people play funny buggers with it all the time, not directly auggesting it in this case, but...

Look at effys car, unpluged it and got like 150hp extra. (thats the extreme side, having it completely disconnected)

Edited by RB30-POWER

Inlet temps are high as had been on the dyno for an hour and a half and being a new motor at that time 1800klms was its first tune and a warm day for that time of year ,a week latter it made 250rwkw by 4200 rpm at uas dyno day but had issues with leaning out (problem was found to be non venting fuel cap so watch for that one boys)it has made more power that that but I dont have a dyno graph of it so make no claims .

Tuner has tried convincing me to go with a bigger turbo and an after market plenum it could well exceed the 350rwkw mark but since I have bought a gtr now im no longer going to be playing with this engine it will be up for sale soon

cheers Peter

Zenitani built an RB24 (RB26 crank and 83 mm pistons) that had 550 bhp using, if I remember rightly, a HKS GT32 and a set of HKS cams. That's was some years ago though. Realistically there is no reason why you couldn't get an RB24 to 800 or so bhp, it's all about how much money you want to spend on it. That's building it and maintaining it.

A stroker RB26 crank would fit, so you could also get one to 2.6 litres if you realy wanted, hence 1,000 bhp is not a rediculous target. Why you would want to, that is the real question. When you could build an RB26/27/28/30/31 for a much lower cost per bhp.

Cheers

Gary

Inlet temps are high as had been on the dyno for an hour and a half and being a new motor at that time 1800klms was its first tune and a warm day for that time of year ,a week latter it made 250rwkw by 4200 rpm at uas dyno day but had issues with leaning out (problem was found to be non venting fuel cap so watch for that one boys)it has made more power that that but I dont have a dyno graph of it so make no claims .

Tuner has tried convincing me to go with a bigger turbo and an after market plenum it could well exceed the 350rwkw mark but since I have bought a gtr now im no longer going to be playing with this engine it will be up for sale soon

cheers Peter

Pics of GTR?

You could get over 300rwkw, you just need some well through out head mods to get it breathing a hell of a lot better so that you'd have a car you could actually drive.

There are a few cars in the 240-280rwkw mark no problem.

Im sure you could put a larger turbo and a bit more boost for the numbers

The heads obviously don't flow anywhere near as well as a RB25, so a big outlay there would get you over 300rwkw as RB20 bottom ends seem to take a fair beating in stock form no problem :(

I dont know if this makes sense, but the way i loo9k at it is i take an individual cylinders displacement then i look at the total valve area for that cylinder. The SR20 is said to be able to make big power, yet the RB20 has more valve area per cylinder displacement, courtesy of it being a 6 cylinder.

There is a mob in Japan that are from the South Island and name if Red Performance or something. They have a 10second MR2 and a 9 second GTSt running a Testarossa Stroked RB20 to 2.4L.

But to me, a stock RB20 can be pretty drivable and reliable witha good turbo at between 240-260rwkws. People have made 280rwkws or so with std engines and GT30Rs etc. I find it hard to justify spending $10,000 more to make more power when bang for buck...you will still have a stupidly quick car with 260rwkws that in grand scheme of things doesnt owe you much money and still gets perfect traction.

In the new year im going to drag my car a few times as i have flat spotted semis with plenty of life in them and a spare RB25 gearbox. The car has no traction problems courtesy of the fact it isnt making stupid torque figures so is relatively easy to drive.

My further 2c, so many disappointing RB20s around as being about the cheapest Skyline around there are plenty of examples not having the money spent on them that other models do. Or usually there is a bog hole in the mods list, often injectors, properly tuned ECU, something that hurts the overall performance.

Legend01 still holds the mantle for smartest and best modded RB20 around. LOL if someone wants prepared RB26 rods and an RB25 crank them i doubt i will be using them anymore...i was going to do this myself....but like i was saying, 260rwkws out of a std motor. Well its hard to justify chasing more when it costs more $$$$

some people think so... just like how some people can think an R33 can be made to look good... the whole polishing a turd theory n all that.

lol! We can put your car side by side next to mine and see which one looks like it came straight off the factory floor and which one looks like its 30 years old.

PS: it aint going to be mine!

I'm living in Malaysia and because of the insane road tax pricing for cars above 2.0cc (RM479 for 2.0, RM789 for 2.5cc, RM1000++ for 2.6cc per year) we usually just use RB20det because of the almost affordable road tax, therefore there's lots of RB20det with more than 500hp at the rear wheels, most of them go for the T88 or GT3037 or T04S turbo with standalone ECU with tons of aftermarket parts, achieving high HP is very easy but the problem is, u don't get good response from the turbo (turbo lag), the HP starts climbing after 4500rpm (because the biggest problem with RB20det is the lack of torque), therefore it's just for a moment of fun between 5000rpm until redline. I'll prefer good response with a smaller ball-bearing turbo producing just over 300rwhp (turbo spool from 2500rpm onwards), it's more drivable and more fun when your tail starts to slide. plus the FC isn't so bad. One of my mechanics (who drives a Cefiro A31 with RB20det) has more than 700rwhp using 1000cc injectors and power FC, spent almost RM100,000 on mods alone..........but the car can't be driven everyday because it'll destroy the tires whenever he starts driving........

Sorry i couldn't provide any dyno charts or any proof for this, but anyone who's into RB engines know this is a fact in Malaysia.

and funky... Don't go making 33 jokes when in your own profile you have an s14... :)

lol I also secretly don't own up to having once owned an R33 GTSt... albeit for a couple of months.

some people are good with dishing out the jabs, but bad at taking some hits back. people who bag out RB20's usually fall into this category. :)