SAU Community

To O-Ring or Not ??

Some mechnics say yes - some say no.

If one was to say, run 18+PSI boost on an RB25DET that was totally rebuilt with all the forged and strengthend goodies, larger turbo etc . Is O-Rining the block a good, bad or other idea ?? Why ??

Correct me if I am wrong or misunderstand, but if you O-Ring your block, then do you have to use a metal/copper head gasget ?? I heard that you need to so the o-ring bites into something.

What about not O-Rining, but use a brand Head Gasket like a Tomei or the like ??

Any experiences on this ???

Cheers,

there are many jap brand head gaskets out there ie HKS SUPER STOPPER which have a built in o-ring system which will run that psi and more safley.o-ringing the block seam's to be a cheaper way of doing things here in Aus i think the jap's would use it if it was such a good system.That's my 2 cents hope it helps.

Tony,

O-ringing is when the block is prepared with wire around the top of the cylinder block - combined with a metal/copper head gasket this supposed to seal really well.

See here : http://forums.skylinesdownunder.co.nz/show...7916#post207916

What GTS500 said makes sense to me tho and then you don't have to do anything to your block or risk it being f'ed up .

Cheers,

Guest mort

When a block is o-ringed you are still able to use a standard head gasket as the o-ring is placed in the block deck so that when the cyl head is bolted down the o-ring bites into the firing ring of the head gasket to offer an exelent seal which prevents blowing head gaskets, you dont need to use an expensive brand jap headgasket when an o-ring is used.

Mort,

i just think it would be cheaper to not o ring a block and risk blowing a head gasket as this is cheaper then destoying something in the bottom end...but it all comes down to good safe tuning which is the hardest thing of all, anyway just my 2cents worth

lenno

lenno,

The two are not related by the 'weakest link in the chain' theory. The bottom end will 'let go' due to a bunch of things but certainly isn't going to be saved by a sacrificial head gasket.

For the purpose of this discussion O-Ringing is used to stop the event of a headgasket blowing due to very high cylinder pressures that is either big boost or high compression. To say you would set your engine up to blow the head gasket when it pings isn't very smart I'd would be building the engine not to ping, also when running big boost/compression the head gasket will leak and pressurise the cooling system

Jordan

OK - so the choice is

a) O-Ring the block and use standard head gasket

OR

B) Get jap brand (HKS / Tomei) head gasket with the O-Ring thingy built in.

O-Ringing adds about what - $25 per cylinder to the cost of block preparation / decking ($150) + std head gasket.

A Tomei head gasket costs $500.

O-Ringing sound like the most cost effective way to go - But What if they Fcuk up the block whist preparing - Tomei is the least risk option.

Yes / No ???

If you get it o-ringed by some one who knows what they are doing then they wont stuff it up, just use a reputable engine builder dont go to the cheapest. Whether you spend the money at the start or later you will end up spending it and it will be alot easier at the start, personally i would prefer an oring its been proven many a times the headgasket is a good alternative but remember o-ringing has been used for many years just because something is new dont confuse that with being better

Jordan

http://www.japanesemotorsport.com.au/autosalon2003.htm

The japanese have been using their metal headgaskets with awesome results. They have been tuning these cars alot harder and alot longer than we here in Aust. the above link speaks volumes for a metal head gasket. Although this is using a few tricks you wouldnt use on the street (octane boost etc), remember that this is a drift car, and has been driven as such.