SAU Community

Booked But Not Pulled Over?

callan

Hey guys-

One of my mates that drives a 200sx was tellin me about how he was heaps lucky not to get a ticket.

Was a few nights ago

He said he took off from a set of lights pretty quick, and even burned a bit of rubber changing gears, and this police car

that saw the whole thing accellerated after him and tailed him for a few k's before flashing their lights once and turned off a sidestreet and stopped following him.

He reckons he was heaps lucky about the whole thing, but im wondering if he can still get booked for something even tho the police officer didn't pull him over.

Anyone know anything about it?

Oh and he says he wasnt speeding at any stage, and it was a police VAN that was tailing him.

pretty sure you can get booked without being phsyically pulled over.

the fine for 'unneccessary acceleration' is rediculous, why does the government allow fast cars to be purchased in the first place if you can't give it a squirt.

if it's in a dangerous manner in traffic fair enough, but just accelerating hard at the lights up until the speed limit, what's wrong with that?

thought u had to be pulled over for them to give you the fine, couldnt the person contest it and say where is the proof if it was sent thru mail?

you could get a fine thru the mail, lets say that if the copper was corrupt or whatever he/she can just send you a fine in the mail if they had something against you.

exactly.. whether they pull you over or just send you a fine it makes no difference. Your only recourse is to take it to court and unless you can poke serious logical flaws in their argument the court will take the cop's word over yours every time.

just say it wasnt you and if it was you why didnt the van pull you over after the event "supposedly" happened. Or ask for the video footage of the "supposed" incident

They cant send you a speeding ticket without photographic evidence so why is it any different here.

hey guys-

i spoke to another friend (a police officer here in newcastle) and he informed me that unless it is a stationary speed camera, if you are pulled over you will not recieve a fine.

this is due to the fact that the officer cannot prove who the driver was.

in the case of stationary speed cameras, they have enough evidence for you to supply a stat dec saying who the driver was.

if there is no photo, and no recording of who the driver was at the time, it is not enough evidence to a summary (traffic) offence.

Edited by callan

I believe they can book you for unnecessary acceleration and can also send ticket through mail.

NO ....and no.

No such ticket as "excessive acceleration, and unless you are detected by a camera then the officer must stop you or speak to you about the offence.

if there is no photo, and no recording of who the driver was at the time, it is not enough evidence to a summary (traffic) offence.

No..........photgraphic or video evidence is not needed. He merely has to observe the offence and speak to the driver. You first comment were correct about the officer having to identify the driver.

Edited by 4teecal

a few years back i had a knock at the door. it was a cop who claimed to have seen me the day before doing something illegal on the road. i knew what he was talking about. he handed me a summons or fine ( i dont remember now) and i ended up in court. so unless the rules have changed, yes you can be booked without being pulled over.

Edited by Munkyb0y

yeah there is a violation that's called 'inappropriate(or is it indecent) acceleration'

I remember reading it in the holy bible of traffic violations you can get fined for.

I had a off duty police officer call me at home at 6am on my day off and preach to me about speeding.. but he couldnt do shit because he had no proof and was off duty at the time..

No to mention his sports evo couldnt keep up with mine and he was pissed off.. he tryed to overtake twice and I refused to let him..

he also commited and offence looking up my details

Edited by DECIM8

Unless the laws have changed the Police cannot book you unless they pull you over or have photographic evidence that you were at that place at the alleged time

It was a few years ago i know, but i was caught doing a burnout through Kingsgrove shopping centre by an on duty Police officer. He was on foot and obviously could not pull me over. He called me at home and had me attaned Kingsgrove Police station. After my confession he told me i could have gotten away with it by saying it was not me, why, because he had no physical proof i had a committed the alleged crime. His word would not be enough to stand up in court were his words.

Times have changed but if got sent a fine in the mail i would be attending court to fight it, or at least seeking legal advice

Edited by ido09s

Make sure people are not confusing things, if they had video or photos of the incident they can fine you.

And a Highway patrol with moving speed camera can also fine you without even chasing you, if they are following or heading the other way.. if you watch them they will hit the button to take your photo and it will tell you a speed, been head on with a few and they all do the same thing upon seeing my car (we all know why)

According to law (from what ive heard from crediable source) they have to get you targeted for 3 seconds and above speed limit and also for a moving target have to get you with no cars 100m infront or behind you if they are travelling in the other direction.

So if you do a runner and get away from them you get away with the offence? I don't think so.

They just take the time to find you. They have 6 months to get you for the offence.

yeah there is a violation that's called 'inappropriate(or is it indecent) acceleration'

I remember reading it in the holy bible of traffic violations you can get fined for.

No...still. Negligent driving, maybe, but ther is no offence in relation to acceleration.

I had a off duty police officer call me at home at 6am on my day off and preach to me about speeding.. but he couldnt do shit because he had no proof and was off duty at the time..

he also commited and offence looking up my details

YOu can still be detected if they are off duty. It makes no difference at all. He commits no offence by looking up your details if it is related to the matter he is investigating.

Make sure people are not confusing things, if they had video or photos of the incident they can fine you.

And a Highway patrol with moving speed camera can also fine you without even chasing you, if they are following or heading the other way.. if you watch them they will hit the button to take your photo and it will tell you a speed, been head on with a few and they all do the same thing upon seeing my car (we all know why)

According to law (from what ive heard from crediable source) they have to get you targeted for 3 seconds and above speed limit and also for a moving target have to get you with no cars 100m infront or behind you if they are travelling in the other direction

Yes. If they have video evidence they can fine you. The ycan also fine you without it. it is not neseccary to have it.

POlice dont have "moving speed cameras". They have stationary speed cameras or mobile radar. The camera will take your pic and you get the fine in the mail as the car owner (This is called an owner onus offence). The radar will check you speed and the officer must still stop you or speak to you at some time(operator onus offence)

moving speed cameras i meant attached to a highway patrol car or undercover.. so yeah its a moving camera.. so mobile radar..

and No you dont need to be stopped with this, many people have been fined this way.

And YES it is an offence if the police officer is off duty and pulls your rego to contact you.. for example the cop sees hot chicks in a car and writes down rego so he can call them the next day and runs the plates to get a contact.. obviously that is an invasion of your privacy and against the law. it is well know to be illegal.

and yes .. indecent accleration is a offence.. people have been charged with it on this forum.. I did try find it on the rta website but gave up with the huge list. if you want to prove me wrong try find it.