SAU Community

Gym And Supplement Discussion

avrahan

Body tells me its time to eat more.

Started breakfasting again, with oats. Haven't done cereal since the 90s...

Supp, workout, supp, lunch, dinner of steam veg & chook at 4 & 6, supp just now... need dinner again!

Thinking I need to buy shitloads of chicken & work up to 4 serves of steamed veg + meat during the arvo / evening.

Do it all again tomorrow ;)

Been getting by on only 2 meals a day, but with strength gains of late I need more in....

Did you know that there is this stuff that you can sprinkle on your food that will help you lose weight. Doesn't matter if you still eat large big mac meals for breakfast lunch and dinner.

American advertisements are crazy ridiculous. So many fat loss ads which are backed by all this research that claims you don't have to work hard or watch what you eat to lose weight and have the perfect body.

Has anyone tried a snatch grip deadlift?

I tried them the other night, along with sumo deadlifts.

Way different.

Not a big fan of sumo deads and the hook grip rapes your thumbs until you get used to it. #mixedgrip4lyf

Edited by Mitcho_7

For ME at least, the method I obtained my short-term changes isn't particularly maintainable for a long period of time. I'd have to rely on a relatively clean bulk and then cut method...which I'm not going to risk doing because I'm worried I won't have the mental strength to stick to the cut lol...

I've slacked off a LOT over the last month, to the point where I'm actually disappointed with what I see in the mirror. It's amazing what a heap of stress and misfortune can do to a person's drive. So much apathy. So little f**ks given. Pretty depressing actually (to add to what would likely already be defined as "depression")....but that's another story not for this thread lol

I find it very hard to go straight into deadlifts in my back sessions.. So I start with seated rows and that gives me a good warm up ready for dead lifting.. I feel as if the lower back is a lot more loose

I also did that but then now I jump on the row machine for 5-10 minutes to get warmed up without sapping too much strength.

Deadlift - did 165kg for a 1RM, would not say easily but will try 170kg next time.

On bench, did 120kg 1RM. Tried at 125kg but no go. On 125kg got it halfway up and knew straight away it wasn't going any further lol

On squats, did 115kg 1RM. I think i could go 120-125kg but its the worry of not being able to get back up that stops me pushing harder. Doesnt help that I only really started training legs properly 6 months ago. It'll get there slowly!

Edited by SRS13

I also did that but then now I jump on the row machine for 5-10 minutes to get warmed up without sapping too much strength.

Deadlift - did 165kg for a 1RM, would not say easily but will try 170kg next time.

On bench, did 120kg 1RM. Tried at 125kg but no go. On 125kg got it halfway up and knew straight away it wasn't going any further lol

On squats, did 115kg 1RM. I think i could go 120-125kg but its the worry of not being able to get back up that stops me pushing harder. Doesnt help that I only really started training legs properly 6 months ago. It'll get there slowly!

I'd try a minimal increase on the bench, 2-2.5 if your plates allow it.

I'd try a minimal increase on the bench, 2-2.5 if your plates allow it.

Agree. It was the first 1RM I have ever tried on bench so didnt want to waste myself trying 122.5kg so went straight to 125kg.

It gave me a starting point for the PP program from Markos. I know have an idea on where to start on all 3 of my lifts!

I've slacked off a LOT over the last month, to the point where I'm actually disappointed with what I see in the mirror. It's amazing what a heap of stress and misfortune can do to a person's drive. So much apathy. So little f**ks given. Pretty depressing actually (to add to what would likely already be defined as "depression")....but that's another story not for this thread lol

Troy as you know, I feel exactly the same (if not worse) at the moment. Christmas and new year shenanigans don't help (plus I had to miss the gym due to an accident). Mindset is such a huge thing and it's time for both us to think positively about our bodies again, get back into our routines, lift and eat clean. Troy, you have a fantastic physique and I don't think it will take you long for you too see that again. Good luck with it all.

Doing anything to progressively increase it?

I'm currently not doing traditional DL's as the routine I'm doing uses SLDL's instead. I think the SLDL's should help to a dregree in increasing my normal DL though. Probably won't start doing traditional DL's for at least another 2 months.

What's your DL at now? Was reasonably high from memory.

Troy: progress ain't linear mate... you have peaks and valleys but as long as you see it as a long term goal then you'll be right... I'm a bit the same at the moment but it's just this time of year... I had lots of fun and now I have to pay for it... by not being able to walk for two days after my first session back... seriously I had to roll off the couch and almost crawl to bed the other night it was that bad lol

put your hands up if this happened to you. the day after doing legs, i looked like i was walking with 'swag' - but no, i just couldn't move properly if i wanted. and whole body was aching so much by friday.

Troy as you know, I feel exactly the same (if not worse) at the moment. Christmas and new year shenanigans don't help (plus I had to miss the gym due to an accident). Mindset is such a huge thing and it's time for both us to think positively about our bodies again, get back into our routines, lift and eat clean. Troy, you have a fantastic physique and I don't think it will take you long for you too see that again. Good luck with it all.

Exactly. It's funny, if I knuckle down and commit 110% for a week, the reduction in water retention alone will be enough to completely flip my mindset on itself and I'll be happy as ever, making it easy to stick with it from that point onward...just this last week has effectively double-fisted my overall drive to do anything productive at all, let alone what my body wants to do the least.

f**kING KANGAROOS IS ALL I HAVE TO SAY, lol

Did the second half of my 5x5 program today. Definently some room for improvement lol.

I think I'll keep doing this style of training once a week and mix it up with some higher rep stuff as well. I've never really trained for strength before so I'll see if I can make some improvement.

Shoulder press 32.5kg dumbells

Power cleans 80kg

Barbell rows 90kg

Deadlift 125kg

Weighted Chin ups 25kg

Barbell Curls 52.5kg

You get used to it Troy, the fluctuations that is. They come and go. Used to bug the shit out of me, but I've had enough of them in my time at the gym to know its just good weeks and bad weeks. Sometimes you're "fat", sometimes you're thin. Sometimes you look in the mirror and think what the f**k happened, other times you pull out the camera and take a hundred photos cause you've never looked better...

this is my last response in this thread about myslef, ill move it on to something more appropriate from this point on

If you just want to look bigger, train for hypertrophy. Higher reps (8-12) and a slow tempo 4:4 will lengthen your set times and therefore time under tension for your muscles.

I have long limbs too, especially my legs, so I know the feeling. If you were to shorten your limbs you would probably look tanked, but that's why most guys with larger frames look far better than others once they pack on some size.

1. Start with hypertrophy, then move on to hybrid training later as me and Joe explained.

2. Stop doing chin ups and push ups in your "off days". Those off days are there for a reason... your body requires that time to rest and repair. If you keep breaking down fibres when do you expect them to repair?

3. Increase your number of training days. This will allow you to double up on body parts. Try something like a 4-day split (upper and lower body). No, this won't be too much because if you train for hypertrophy you will relieve your body of the CNS stress associated with strength training.

4. Squat and deadlift. Build these up slowly to avoid re-injuring your back

I guarantee you will build some size doing this while you eat big. I have an equally hard time gaining muscle weight. You could easily just gain weight as other have said by lowering calories expended. I'm not lean, but at least I'm gaining muscle as well as fat. Last I checked I was about 89kg @182-183cm. I'll check tonight and re-post.

Will take that on board, will be a bit of a change going from sets of 5/6 all the way to 12!.

As a side note, i dont train in my off days to really gain anything, its just a way to burn off energy i have so i can calm down and not be too hyper at home

Squating and deadlifting though... looks like they're making a comeback

Reality check is a good idea before you go training and eating towards more mass.You say you ' feel real skinny all the time'. Would you say you were very slightly insecure about being too skinny for your height?

Dont know if its insecurity, more like, i know i can do better with myself. Theres no reason i cant be constantly improving for my own personal health and enjoyment

Could be lots of reasons for this. Maybe you go to a gym with a high proportion of roided up 300 pound dudes so you look relatively small. Maybe you always wanted to look like Arnie. Often people in this situation spent a large part of your life as a tall skinny dude and found it unconfortable, lots of tall blokes probably relate to that.

Admittedly, there are a shit tonne of hero's at the gym that are clearly on the pin, but i cant say as im ever too concerned about them. Im in this to better myself and live a healthier existence. Pumping bottles of poison into my ass doesnt quite fit into my program

Also, its not that im totally unhappy with my current setup, at my height and weight, im very easily picked out of a crowd. Im very lucky to be as fit and healthy as i am. I just feel that theres room to grow, im just struggling to get there. But theres been plenty of good suggestions and help here, and im happy to take it and see what happens