SAU Community

Gym And Supplement Discussion

avrahan

I'm currently not doing traditional DL's as the routine I'm doing uses SLDL's instead. I think the SLDL's should help to a dregree in increasing my normal DL though. Probably won't start doing traditional DL's for at least another 2 months.

What's your DL at now? Was reasonably high from memory.

Haven't done a 1RM in a while, using a calc I've always found accurate for myself it'd be ~183

Agree. It was the first 1RM I have ever tried on bench so didnt want to waste myself trying 122.5kg so went straight to 125kg.

It gave me a starting point for the PP program from Markos. I know have an idea on where to start on all 3 of my lifts!

Ah yep fair enough!

Did the second half of my 5x5 program today. Definently some room for improvement lol.

I think I'll keep doing this style of training once a week and mix it up with some higher rep stuff as well. I've never really trained for strength before so I'll see if I can make some improvement.

Shoulder press 32.5kg dumbells

Power cleans 80kg

Barbell rows 90kg

Deadlift 125kg

Weighted Chin ups 25kg

Barbell Curls 52.5kg

good work!

if your rowing and cleaning those numbers you'll probably find a lot more in your deadlift

weighted chin ups are no joke! my best is 5 x +30kg

strong on the shoulder press too

good work!

if your rowing and cleaning those numbers you'll probably find a lot more in your deadlift

weighted chin ups are no joke! my best is 5 x +30kg

strong on the shoulder press too

How much you weigh nick? For a total chin? Has such a push pull effect those things.

I use weighted chins as a staple. They are underrated

I envy your numbers there Mitch.

Mostly the power cleans and weighted chins. Straps on the chins?

Nah man no straps, it's only 5 reps each time and I can still hold it pretty comfortably.

If my technique on cleans was half decent I would probably be able to do more I think.

Hopefully deads bench and squat numbers go up a bit, but I've only been squatting and dead lifting since August.

Little inadvertent experiment showing the difference between eating enough and not; how this affects a compound exercise like bench press:

Thursday - 5 weetbix, 2 toasted tuna sandwiches, protein shake. An hour between last meal and exercise.

85kg x 10 reps

85kg x 10

92.5kg x 8

92.5kg x 7

102.5kg x 3

105kg x 2

112.5kg - failed

Monday (today) - 5 weetbix, 2 toasted tuna sandwiches, 4 slices of toast with cheese and Vegemite, protein shake, Maxibon ice cream. 2 hours between last meal and exercise.

85kg x 10

85kg x 10

92.5kg x 9

92.5kg x 9

102.5kg x 4

107.5kg x 3

112.5kg x 1 (with ease, will try for 115 on Thurs)

Carbs are your friends.

Maxibon is awesome. Yes it contains fat (~15%), but it also contains energy. I won't notice a gram of that fat hit my body, but I'll see the energy get me through a workout - the key here is moderation and doing enough exercise to counter your food intake. It's all guesswork, no calorie counting here. There are no evil foods, just people going overboard on the wrong stuff and not getting enough of the right stuff.

Cheat days are bullshit IMO...have something small and tasty everyday to break up the monotony of healthy food, it's a good mental break.

Maxibon is awesome. Yes it contains fat (~15%), but it also contains energy. I won't notice a gram of that fat hit my body, but I'll see the energy get me through a workout - the key here is moderation and doing enough exercise to counter your food intake. It's all guesswork, no calorie counting here. There are no evil foods, just people going overboard on the wrong stuff and not getting enough of the right stuff.

Cheat days are bullshit IMO...have something small and tasty everyday to break up the monotony of healthy food, it's a good mental break.

Does this not go against that healthy foods post?

Does this not go against that healthy foods post?

In what way? I'm not saying live off Maxibons, I'm saying in the scheme of things, having one before you burn a shitload of energy in a workout isn't going to hurt - quite the opposite. Where people go wrong is that they have two, or they forget they had a Maxibon and put a metric shit ton of dressing on their caesar salad. Moderation. Eat what you want, just make sure you A. get the stuff you need, and B. lift enough to counter the "bad" stuff.

training and diet are equally important, some would say more so, of course this depends on your goals.

You're never going to deadlift 250kg by sitting on your computer eating cans of tuna all day while you beat your dick like it owes you money.

I just want dat right arm vein !

How much you weigh nick? For a total chin? Has such a push pull effect those things.

I use weighted chins as a staple. They are underrated

I was about 86kg when I did that... was sick of my training partner whinging he had trouble doing pull ups because he was heavy (115kg)... so I strapped on 30kg and did one more rep than he did hehe

wide grip, overhand... I find them a lot more effective than the narrow grip underhand chin up... nice wide grip, chest up to the bar... brings in more back and less arms IMO

I don't do them weighted much anymore though... have backed off on pull ups and just throwing in a few sets here and there... trying to get my pressing strength up so focusing more on that at the moment

Birds: so true mate... if you want to set PRs you have to eat... pre powerlifting meet diet is lots of simple carbs, sugar, salt, water (unless your trying to make weight)... want to have as much water and energy stored in your muscles as possible... I also ate a huge amount of food all through the day... peanut butter sandwiches, bananas, nuts, sugary treats etc

I was being sarcastic... having a dig at the 'functional strength' crowd who always go on about muscle slowing you down

I was going to post the typical icwutudidthar but I figured everyone would see it. Apparently Ivan did not. lol.

I was about 86kg when I did that... was sick of my training partner whinging he had trouble doing pull ups because he was heavy (115kg)... so I strapped on 30kg and did one more rep than he did hehe

wide grip, overhand... I find them a lot more effective than the narrow grip underhand chin up... nice wide grip, chest up to the bar... brings in more back and less arms IMO

I don't do them weighted much anymore though... have backed off on pull ups and just throwing in a few sets here and there... trying to get my pressing strength up so focusing more on that at the moment

Birds: so true mate... if you want to set PRs you have to eat... pre powerlifting meet diet is lots of simple carbs, sugar, salt, water (unless your trying to make weight)... want to have as much water and energy stored in your muscles as possible... I also ate a huge amount of food all through the day... peanut butter sandwiches, bananas, nuts, sugary treats etc

Yeah that's solid! wide grip definitely brings more back into it.

I do close grip for a more all round lift to incorporate arms, I don't curl.

That's it! I'm trying to instill this in my training partner at the moment...he's chasing quick gains (like all impatient gym noobs) and currently swearing by his pre-workout poison, I'm swearing by proper eating throughout the day.

A little bit more on my dead/squat and I'll come compete :)

Pre-workouts tend to give me awesome indigestion when combined with lifting...and honestly the only ones that actually felt like they've made a difference to my lifting intensity were ones with DMAA like 1MR and Napalm lol. Ultimately I don't care for them any more....though not like I've bolstered my diet with carbs to compensate either lol

Even if they work, to me, depending on one says there's an underlying issue with your diet or the amount of rest you're getting. So it might address the mental problem, but say you're not getting enough rest - your muscle recovery is still going to be shithouse. Not enough food - say goodbye to putting on muscle.