SAU Community

Gym And Supplement Discussion

avrahan

Yes your bulging discs are doing a great job of that. Strengthening doesn't fix bad form, correcting with proper technique does. I'm not avoiding any weakness here...the back and core get worked just as much in my method, only less susceptible to injury because it's a stricter movement.

My 2c on this one for what it is worth , from past experience.

You have a point about stabillity, thats why sitting or bending the knees with a relatively lighter weight is a good place to start in terms of 'balance'.

However, once you are over a certain weight (body weight for sure) you basically need to have lots of stabilisation all the way up. So legs to core to shoulder girdle ,even wrists. Each of these should not be troubled and totally up to the task before going crazy. They are supporting muscles so should have more than you need to balance and stabilise as the shoulder press should not be used to target them.

Even if you bend your knees or sit, not enough shoulder stabilisation or core strength will see you get an injury with bigger weight.

However , I think where Ghosty and Husky33 are comming from is; once you are lifting strong across those areas a bodyweight press with locked legs won't trouble you.

In the mean time, best practice is as you said ' slight bend in the knees' or sit down and for the safest plan use a lighter weight if you don't have the confidence to press.bodyweight yet.

Edited by rev210

160 as of tonight! And weighing in at 79.7kg...that's double bodyweight :D

165...somebody stop me! Head started spinning as soon as I locked it out :S

Gotta run out of steam soon; at this rate I'm adding 10kg per week.

Yes your bulging discs are doing a great job of that.

My back injury wasn't caused from MP, it was caused from overzealous DL'ing with bad form, which in my defence, I was fairly new to lifting back then and lacked the experience to know better - some of us just have to learn the hard way unfortunately. Hindsight is a wonderful thing...

Strengthening doesn't fix bad form, correcting with proper technique does.

Generally yes, but also no. Correcting technique doesn't automatically make you strong, you still have to train... and think about what 'form' is for a moment. Correct 'form' is generally the most efficient way to perform a movement or action, that doesn't mean it is automatically safe, for example, if a novice overloads the bar and tries the lift with "good form", injury may still occur because they are weak. On the flip side, doing movements in "bad form" but in a controlled manner to build strength in compromised position/less-efficient movement, aids in strengthening the movement when done in correct form, for example, "good mornings" to assist squats etc.

I'm not avoiding any weakness here...the back and core get worked just as much in my method, only less susceptible to injury because it's a stricter movement.

I disagree. CBF explaining why but as a simple test, try and do your seated press weights standing and tell me which is harder.

I don't do seated press, I do standing behind neck shoulder press...with split legs and knees slightly bent. My back stays strict throughout the whole set and I do 50kg x 10 for 3 sets + 55kg x 6 for 3 sets, so not that light.

I don't do seated press, I do standing behind neck shoulder press...with split legs and knees slightly bent. My back stays strict throughout the whole set and I do 50kg x 10 for 3 sets + 55kg x 6 for 3 sets, so not that light.

that's light

Hey, I probably couldn't do 60kgx10 atm, but i will be the first to admit that it is light. And the only reason it is light is because i don't train it as much as everything else, like yourself, and 99% of people.

It's actually pathetic when you look how much higher my bench is.

it's not light for the conditioning goals you have but, it's really quite light if you are talking a standing press at your weight. Again only relative to people who care to lift heavy as their goal.

I'm sure you could train to do heavier if you wanted to but, you are doing what is best for your goals. You don't need to shovel huge weights on the shoulders without good reasons anyway.

I was the same up until 165kg lol, that was my figurative brick wall. I think my grip failed on 170kg at the same point I couldn't really complete the lift, and have only attempted it once.

Good work Birds, keep dat shit up!

Hey, I probably couldn't do 60kgx10 atm, but i will be the first to admit that it is light. And the only reason it is light is because i don't train it as much as everything else, like yourself, and 99% of people.

It's actually pathetic when you look how much higher my bench is.

it's not light for the conditioning goals you have but, it's really quite light if you are talking a standing press at your weight. Again only relative to people who care to lift heavy as their goal.

I'm sure you could train to do heavier if you wanted to but, you are doing what is best for your goals. You don't need to shovel huge weights on the shoulders without good reasons anyway.

It's not light in that the potential for injury is very much there should you use bad form, which is why I brought up what I lift for that exercise in the first place. It's like a 100kg deadlift - nothing in the scheme of lifting and what people are capable of, but you can still do a lot of damage if your form is out.

I was the same up until 165kg lol, that was my figurative brick wall. I think my grip failed on 170kg at the same point I couldn't really complete the lift, and have only attempted it once.

Good work Birds, keep dat shit up!

For someone with a spinal injury, that's a great lift! My grip felt like it had more in it, but 165kg was the first time my back had to put in a lot of effort to get the weight up / started running out of steam. Grip seems to be fine for 1RM stuff, it's the sets of 10 where sweat builds up and resetting my reps turns it to shit, even with much lower weights.