SAU Community

Gym And Supplement Discussion

avrahan

Yeah I got myself some chalk the other day. It's better than I could have ever imagined, even in my wildest dreams lol. It actually made holding on to the bar less effort entirely, even on the FIRST REP. Before there was any moisture at all. Amazing. Never doing deadlifts again without it.

It's not light in that the potential for injury is very much there should you use bad form, which is why I brought up what I lift for that exercise in the first place. It's like a 100kg deadlift - nothing in the scheme of lifting and what people are capable of, but you can still do a lot of damage if your form is out.

Thats true. Bad form is always well bad... However, if you know how to lift even good form isn't a replacement for strength in the supporting muscles.

The excellent form can turn to bad form very suddenly when a supporting muscle gives out.

So approaching heavy lifts is not only about good form and technique but also conditioning for the lift. Lifting is never really 'safe' , just relatively.

So you can do the lifts with legs locked out quite safely with the supporting muscles in place and some form. I just did some 105kg-ish overhead presses today, I have a vid in my training log. My first standing ones in many years. Shows the fatigue of my last set , the form suffered a little but, it was a walk in the park for my back / legs / shoulder girdle.

Yeah I got myself some chalk the other day. It's better than I could have ever imagined, even in my wildest dreams lol. It actually made holding on to the bar less effort entirely, even on the FIRST REP. Before there was any moisture at all. Amazing. Never doing deadlifts again without it.

lol

I look forward to hearing how you jizzed your pants when you actually get a chance to deadlift using chalk and a texas deadlift bar on a deadlift platform.

lol

I look forward to hearing how you jizzed your pants when you actually get a chance to deadlift using chalk and a texas deadlift bar on a deadlift platform.

hahaha well my 14 reps @ 110kg was with chalk :P

Need to improve on my cardio.

Me too I think. Was playing bball yesterday and was pretty much dead after 30 minutes. Was totally cool launching myself over 8ft fences to get the ball but after running for 10 minutes I'd be dead lying on the ground. Felt so sick it felt like I was going to throw up and ended up napping for a couple of hours to get rid of the headache it caused. Makes me think maybe my CFS hasn't fully been taken care of :(

At least I could jump a fence... that's new!

Edited by JEPPE

Bench finally back to 115kg @ 80kg. Will try for 120 next Monday. Hoping to have a 1RM between 120 and 130 in time for the next novice comp. Even if it shaves 10kg off my gym lift, that should still make for a respectable bench.

I'm sure you could do 120-130 fresh now even, we work fairly hard before we even get to 1RM

Aren't comps just 1RM anyway?

Edited by UNR33L

I'm sure you could do 120-130 fresh now even, we work fairly hard before we even get to 1RM

Aren't comps just 1RM anyway?

True...but it's much safer to assume your 1RM after a bunch of sets...then you know for sure you can pull it off fresh; maybe even do better :)

You get three attempts in competition, correct?

True...but it's much safer to assume your 1RM after a bunch of sets...then you know for sure you can pull it off fresh; maybe even do better :)

You get three attempts in competition, correct?

If you aren't doing pause benching then I'd reccomend switching to that in the time before the comp. You need to pause at the bottom of the rep just touching the chest (not resting heavy on it).If you haven't trained for it you will moving alot less weight at the comp.

Bench rules are:

• Pause on chest - this means the bar has to be motionless and you'll be given the press command - if you have the bar down on the chest but it's moving around you'll be there till it's still and told to press
  • Bum must be on the bench.
  • feet must be on the floor - GPC, CAPO federations allow you to have your feet so only the toes are on the floor but PA requires your foot to be flat on the floor. If you lift a foot when benching for whatever reason (balance), then it's a failed attempt in any fed
  • Grip can be close or wide - I think there is a rule that it must be inside the outter rings on the bar
  • 3 attempts at each lift - but if you decide on 100kg as your first lift and fail, you can't select a lower weight for your next attempt.

Here is what I try to do for any comp.

Opening lift (sq, b or dl) I chose a weight that I have done a tripple with in the gym already, when fresh.

My second attempt will be my gym 1rm PB that I would have attempted before comp

3rd attempt will be for a new PB.. wether that is 2.5kg more or 5 or 10 will depend on how I felt with my second attempt.

I would suggest doing some paused bench sets before trying it at a comp.

get your training partner to say press when they see the bar is still etc.

The calls for comps (you'll be told this at the comp but anyway..)

For squats.

you will get under the bar, lift it off and get ready to squat (in novice comps you will be walking the bar out, in GPC comps it will be in a monolift wo when you stand up with the bar on your back, they will remove the hooks that hold it and you squat on the spot.), look at the judge and stay still, he/she will yell out "squat"

you squat down, stand up and stand in the locked out starting posittion... Judge will then call "RACK" and you walk the weight back to the stands (or in GPC, they will lower the hooks for you to lower the bar back on to.)

For Bench.

Lay down, set up however you want, give the person handing the bar to you a nod to say ok to lift off.

Once it's lifted out and you are ready to bench, you lower the bar (no call here in any fed other than PA), pause on the chest, judge will call "PRESS", you press it up and hold at the top in locked out possition and the Judge will call "RACK" and you move the bar back to the rack.

For Deads.

Walk up and set up, the judge will be sitting their with their hand up in the air..

Grab the bar and lift it as you want and stand in lock out standing possition.

Judge will call "DOWN"

Lower the weight down in a controlled fashion... basically means don't drop it, but don't waste a heap of energy bringing it down super slow.

There are other things that will cause a failed lift that they will tell you about on the day... hitching, lapping, bar dip and some others.