SAU Community

Gym And Supplement Discussion

avrahan

Did my 1RMs tonight - 230kg squat, 200kg deadlift, 120kg bench, 70kg press. Stoked about it - I hit all the goals I was after, and squatted more than I thought I could. 8 or so months of PTC beginner routine and eating LOTS of protein.

Now for my 5/3/1 to begin!

Paradoxically the only thing to cure my calf doms was squatting.

Edited by bozodos

I always go below paralell Birds, I try not to have hamstring touch calf though. Still at 120kg or so unfortunately - diet started to get a bit out of hand again lately. Would have liked to got 240kg squat for double bodyweight, but I didn't want to fail it.

Can't really remember my starting numbers, they were pretty damn low though - when I started the PTC routine I was benching around 40kg, squatting 100 or so, and deadlifting 80. I had to do dips with ~90kg assistance, which I can now do bodyweight.

I've started doing stair / hill runs and sprints to get some conditioning in too.

Did my 1RMs tonight - 230kg squat, 200kg deadlift, 120kg bench, 70kg press. Stoked about it - I hit all the goals I was after, and squatted more than I thought I could. 8 or so months of PTC beginner routine and eating LOTS of protein.

Now for my 5/3/1 to begin!

Paradoxically the only thing to cure my calf doms was squatting.

Sensational man, really happy for you, so jealous of the Squat and DL =D

Happy because you've worked hard for it and happy because your attitude has been excellent since the beginning, no bullshit, no ego, just getting in there and getting it done.

*BroHug*

• Like 1

Good work Boz. Only real powerlifters squat more than they deadlift!

Don't need to worry about knee wraps but a belt for squats is really handy, especially once it gets heavy. Just helps you keep tight and makes the whole thing a nicer movement.

It doesn't really protect your back and only maybe gets you a handful of kilos but it's definitely worth having.

Thanks Nick. I'll look into a belt - my Chuck Taylors are here so at least I'll have some reasonable footwear. I've had a strong squat and legs since I started, lucky I guess.

Been agonising over 5/3/1 assistance templates, I decided on Simplest Strength due to it having a squat and deadlift variant more than once a week, and not eating enough to give BBB a hard go

5 sets of 5, there's a heap of different programs, Markos always used to reccomend it more for lifters beyond the beginner stage, and I'd agree with that.

Common examples of programs are: Stronglifts, LP Greyskull, Madcow, Bill Starr's 5x5.

Cheers boz, I had a quick look online but thought id ask my fellow gym sauers. I had a chat with a 50 year old at the gym today. This bloke is bigger than most blokes at the gym. He said for me to shake up the routine ( 5x5, pyramid etc ) he swears by the pyramid program.

http://blackironbeast.com has a good calculator for 5/3/1.

I have started the boring but big program 4 day, very similar to the program I was doing but all the % and sets are done for you.

I will roll with this for the full cycle (about 9 months worth) from now and see how it goes, 2 days in so far.

I like it as it seems its a "get strong for dummies" type of thing, which suits me down to a tee.