SAU Community

Gym And Supplement Discussion

avrahan

Well it's pretty commonplace these days. People pull out cameras and snap people lifting heavy at my gym, people pull out cameras to selfie themselves. Cameras everywhere nowadays, so unless you're sneaking nudes of someone in a locker room I don't see the issue!

So we're back to my point about agreeing to disagree. Though I have no issue with Selfies.

I have bigger issues today though, My lunch is a let down :(

EDIT: I take that back, it was actually decent once I got through the sub-par lettuce.

Edited by ActionDan

How is it weird, creepy or judgemental for that matter? All he asked for were thoughts on it. How do you know he's not interested in the exercise and wanted our opinions on it?

Sorry it was late and I should have been a clearer. I was asking for an opinion on the exercise. I've never seen anyone do it before but I googled and realise it's a thing that some do.

As far as I'm concerned, the gym is a public place. I've never done it before but I've no qualms about recording something I found interesting /funny when it's legally allowed (obviously).

Now to read the rest of the responses

Edit: no I didn't approach him, he seemed to be in the zone per se.

How is it weird, creepy or judgemental for that matter? All he asked for were thoughts on it. How do you know he's not interested in the exercise and wanted our opinions on it?

Because he posted it on fb as 'today I learnt the lying down cable shrug is actually a thing'

and the comment from the friend was 'lol you actually videoed the guy hahaha'

• Like 1

Birds: Do you genuinely believe he wasn't taking the piss or were you just presenting the other point of view?

I'm not talking about if you think recording someone is right or wrong that's just us having differing opinions - Purely whether you think he was taking the piss or not with the video.

It's always interesting to hear how people take stuff online when there's no body language or intonation to help convey the undertone.

Edited by ActionDan

I genuinely believed he wasn't taking the piss which, if you believe him, was how it was.

This reminds me of those people who point out political incorrectness in innocent situations, making them the ones with the politically incorrect mindset because they perceived it that way to begin with. I'm sure there's been a few South Park episodes.

Fair enough.

If it is genuine curiosity, it's interesting how word choice impacts that for the reader.

For me, in the circles I frequent online, starting a sentence with TIL is often an indicator that the next thing is going to be subtly if not overtly sarcastic. Couple that with something that quite a few people don't like - recording others/being recorded - and it's an interesting mix.

If his intent was sincere, it's interesting to see that of the 4 or so respondents only 1 took it that way, and that's the one person who also didn't have issue with the recording. I wonder if that implies that the perception of the question was influenced by initial reaction to the recording?

Easy to see how things get skewed online so quickly.

This is all very Dr PHil now lol

Edited by ActionDan

If he was genuinely interested in the exercise he would have asked the guy... when he got out of the zone...

not record him and share it on his own facebook with a sarcastic title.

It's a shit exercise.

no way could the pinloaded cable thing have more weights than a barbell could hold and do the same exercise while standing.

If you think it's ok to record people in the gym, you've got other problems.

How would you have reacted if someone recorded LEESH using the adductor machine while wearing short shorts and posted it here with "LOL, chicks still using this machine in 2014"

• Like 1

I'd thought about doing bb glute bridges as an assistance, but I won't due to someone no doubt recording me to put it on Youtube..

PTC clients frequently do barbell hip thrusts as assistance.

youtube that one.

Barbell hip thrusts are glorious when carried by a fit female =) Always a pleasure to inspect form whilst resting between sets. I go to the gym to be inspired!

But yes, I am conscious of doing something unconventional, someone taking the piss and posting on the web. It's the generation we live in I guess, doesn't mean we have to like it though.

Edited by chrisR34GTT

If you think it's ok to record people in the gym, you've got other problems.

How would you have reacted if someone recorded LEESH using the adductor machine while wearing short shorts and posted it here with "LOL, chicks still using this machine in 2014"

Whether I think it's okay to record people or not is irrelevant. There's not much you can do to stop it in a world where everyone has a camera. The reality is that, unless you catch someone in the act and tell them off for it in real life, there's little you can do. So I could either jump up and down and send a rage message to the person who recorded Leesh, or I could shrug it off as just another episode that will disappear into the history of the internet and be forgotten for good and get on with my life. It's the internet; people need to stop taking this shit so seriously.

inb4 Basti jailed for video

As for recording video, I feel it is only acceptable if the recording is for the person bring recorded.

I think it is a excellent tool for critiqueing your form.

Other people recording strangers is slightly gay or taking the piss IMO.

yeah I think I wasn't really thrusting enough at the top of my deadlifts today come to think of it...

tried to front squat with just the bar, felt totally unnatural and weird to get it into the right position on the delts. Might have to look up some more instructionals. Did the prescribed reps with regular low bar squats. Not sure if I'll continue with this assistance template once the cycle is finished, as I keep having to modify it.