SAU Community

Gym And Supplement Discussion

avrahan

Yeah I was trying it with the clean grip - I've never done cleans or any other Olympic lifts before either!

I'll try the arms crossed one, I thought it was bad for you though. Failing that, I'll invest in some straps, since the hand placement isn't an important part of the movement

Safety bar squats are somewhat similar to front squats in that the weight is out the front of you a bit. I am doing them at the moment because I have niggling ac joint issue and front squating with the bar on it in the rack position hurts.

Well an empty still weighs 20kgs and isn't restrained, so if you don't have it sitting right and it falls you could injure yourself or others I guess (and look like the tard that dropped a bar..)

Smith machine with 10 a side to start, once I get familiar with it move up to barbell.

Front squat focuses on the quad right?

Also, what program do you suggest to really stimulate calf growth? I'm finding that the arches of my feet start going before my calves so not getting the most out of it. I'm considering taking skipping back up to develop some conditioning on rest days and then high volume sets on leg day.

Comments?

I really can't see myself dropping the bar - it's only 20kg, and I hate Smith machines.

Don't bother with calf work, mine are big enough already, and tbh I've never seen anyone get bigger calves apart from being fat or on steroids.

another technique to stretch your arms out to improve front squats is:

assume the front squat position with arms under bar and elbows forward

have friend stand with their shoulders under your arms and slowly stand up

i get my mates to do it, main drawback is theyre both 6ft6 and im 5ft 10

another technique to stretch your arms out to improve front squats is:

assume the front squat position with arms under bar and elbows forward

have friend stand with their shoulders under your arms and slowly stand up

i get my mates to do it, main drawback is theyre both 6ft6 and im 5ft 10

sounds very broke back mountain.

which part is difficult boz?

Elbows up?

thoracic extension of the upper back?

shoulders not able to come forward enough?

video it

all fingers under is fine if you can.

but it requires more wrist flexibility.

the first 2 fingers makes it easier,

They are not there to hold the bar really.. just to anchor your hands somewhere so you can push the elbows UP.

and yes..

right up in to your throat.

I get my fingers where I want them, then the feet under, then swing one arm under, then the other as I put my head right back so the bar is right up against the part of my throat and clavicle meet.. then bring my head down.

as you stand up and have elbows up, the bar ends up sitting on your front delts rather than the clavicle.

then it's a big breath in, chest/elbows up, back arched, and squat down between the heels.

This shows where I mean by on the throat/clavicle.. ignore that his hands are not on the bar.

hands-free-front-squat.jpg

and what I mean by 2 fingers..

kasi_front_squat_low_res.jpg

Edited by TTT

Its defs a fine line between cutting off air supply/blood flow and finding the right spot for the bar. If you find it hard to keep elbows up, wait til you start squatting with it.

I get just as mucg of an upper back workout as legs doing them.