SAU Community

Gym And Supplement Discussion

avrahan

I do bench press...

Day 1: squats, pull-ups

Day 2: deadlifts, bench

Chuck bicep curls at the end of day 2 if you like. You don't really need them if you're doing enough deadlifts.

That's about as complete as you'll get in the shortest time. I've got plenty of time on my hands but after trying this for the last 12 months I don't feel the need to bother with anything else. Keep it simple, stupid!

I have no idea what starting strength is...this is just what my program evolved into post shoulder injury to accommodate everything with as little shoulder interaction as possible. It started as a leg program in my days of not being able to move my arm much without pain, then evolved to include pull-ups and bench as the shoulder recovered somewhat.

Figjam, you could do 5/3/1 with minimum assistance too.

Starting Strength is

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift
Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press
5x3 Power cleans
Workouts A and B alternate on 3 non-consecutive days per week.

Workouts A and B alternate on 3 non-consecutive days per week.

Edited by bozodos

Don't wanna argue with a famous program, but the OCD in me doesn't like the idea of doing exercises unevenly like that. I like the spacing of mine, the simplicity, the lack of overlap, the fact I'm in the gym 4 days a week which perfectly fits into the working week with a rest on Wednesday...the fact I'm stronger in all exercises just doing this for a 40 minute session than I was when I was in the gym for an hour and a half each time. Will be doing this program for a long time methinks.

I get minimal results, every month I only put a extra 2.5 kg per month on my bench and OHP and 5kg to my squats and deads, as I'm bad with math I don't know what that will equate to after 12 months.

Hang on, that's 30 kg for my bench and press and 60kg for my squats and deads.

So going from that and without having to do a deload due to stalling that would be going from my current 1 rep training maxes of 130 to 160 for bench, 80 to 110 for press, 180 to 240 for deads and 145 to 205 for squats.

One of the guys at work lifts competitively and has hassled me to have a go, I'm thinking of training smart for the next year and a half and then having a attempt at a comp, Ill be 50 then so it is a good motivational tool for me to use.

Slow and steady for the win is my new mantra.

post-52431-0-77687400-1395998551_thumb.jpg

I'm all for adding weight that way, slowly and steadily, but have to be realistic too...if you have a 160 bench within 12 months, up from 130, and haven't jumped on the juice I'll go HEY! Well done.

Having a structured program where I walk into the gym knowing how much down to which sets of plates that I'll use what I'll lift is the best IMO. I like having a squat assist on my deadlift day, a deadlift variant assist on squat day, and a bench assist on OHP day.

I do have mates who can't stand doing the same thing for more than 3 weeks in a row though, so I guess its horses for courses. Naturally I'm now stronger than them.

If I stall then I will deload on the exercise I'm stalling on, if I don't progress as fast as the program states then so be it, BUT, the program has a solution for it, deload and then keep going up.

My next goal is to push or pull what's written in my training log, soon I will be doing a PB for every exercise, even if its only 2.5kg.

I'm not looking to be the guy who lifts the most at the gym, I'm taking this as I do with my car and my job, with time and hard work I improve, when I stall I find the reason and fix the problem.

A good quote from Starting Strength is "3 steps forward, 1 step back".

Either way Im getting stronger which is a win.

Boz I 100% agree, lots of guys at the gyms I use focus on curls, forearms and calf raises and have no structured programs, they may have some "peaky" biceps but they are weak as piss on all the compound movements, they are the same guys dropping the weights when they dead 100kg because they don't have the strength to lower it.

I get minimal results, every month I only put a extra 2.5 kg per month on my bench and OHP and 5kg to my squats and deads, as I'm bad with math I don't know what that will equate to after 12 months.

Hang on, that's 30 kg for my bench and press and 60kg for my squats and deads.

So going from that and without having to do a deload due to stalling that would be going from my current 1 rep training maxes of 130 to 160 for bench, 80 to 110 for press, 180 to 240 for deads and 145 to 205 for squats.

One of the guys at work lifts competitively and has hassled me to have a go, I'm thinking of training smart for the next year and a half and then having a attempt at a comp, Ill be 50 then so it is a good motivational tool for me to use.

Slow and steady for the win is my new mantra.

Provided you have the genetics , diet and rest you should have a red hot go at this over 12months.