SAU Community

Gym And Supplement Discussion

avrahan

Yeah, but the placebo effect only works when you buy an expensive supplement and take it thinking its the 'shit' lol.

Did you do a study on Amino Acids or BCAA's? the ones im more interested in are glutamine and beta alanine.

question... can you have too many protein shakes in one day?

you see, i figured if i eat 3 normal meals with protein shakes between each one, my body will sense an intake of protein very regulary through the day and therefore i expect my metabolism will pick up big time... i'm talking:

shake @ 8am

meal @ 11am

shake @ 1pm

meal @ 3pm

shake @ 5pm

meal @ 7pm

shake @ 9pm

i wouldn't do the 9pm shake - what on earth is the point of that?

and i would add to the 8am shake as well and it with a 1/2 cup of bircher muesli also in the shake

bircher muesli is low GI carbs full of fibre and other health benefits

breakfast is the most important meal of the day - but it's only supposed to be small =)

infact u should only "consume" food 5 times a day

haha ok well if u wanna be technical... buy kelp tablets from a healthfood store, these contain a wild strand of iodine which picks up the activity of your thyroid which picks up your metabolism

drink a serve of psyllium husk every day to help flush out all toxins from your body and lower your cholesterol - this also aids absorbtion of nutrients from your foods

and

with all this protein intake i hope you're doing a hefty amount of exercise to burn it off

in all honesty from what i KNOW (feel free to differ)

eating thrice a day will not pick up your metabolism

because you're sorta starving your body then hyper-loading it with food

nothing wrong with that

but

if you're planning on kicking your metabolism in the arse

eat 5 balanced small meals a day

if that means splitting one meal in half, eating half now and half later then so be it

the aim of the game is to keep your blood sugar levels at a medium constant

a lot of people think breaky is most important meal of the day - and it is

but people will take that sentence and use it as an excuse to eat a full full bowl of cereal

this shoots your blood sugar levels sky high and your body can't process it so it stores it as fat

im sure you know that

but

what im saying

if you look on the side of the box of cereal. it will say the serving size is usually about half a cup or one full handfull

this may seem like a small serve but you're meant to have *that* then eat again at 10

then 1, etc etc,

the aim of the game is to keep your body topped up with food

but never over load your body

=)

IT'S PART OF WHAT I DO

oops sorry capslock from input (i have a new joob w00t)

but yeah

the best way to pick up your metabolism - is NEVER EVER EVER be hungry, but never be full either

just constantly eat small meals

about 3 months ago i went to a healthy eating seminar hosted by this natural body building trainer and got talking to him after for like 3 hours picking his brains

using the info i derived from him i devised my own eating and exercise plan - i've lost 18kg of fat and added a fair amount of muscle on the way too

mind you im doing

10 min sprint warmup

1 or so hours of weights training

30 minutes of cardio afterwards

some days i will skip the "cardio" and go for a sprint bikeride around the river or swim

but yeah

i have a pretty fierce exercise reigime but i need to do it

=)

weights training 5 days a week

day 1

legs

day 2

chest + abs

day 3

biceps

day 4

shoulders + triceps

day 5

abs + back

cardio is 6 days a week

and the day that i do cardio but no weights

i do cardio for like thrice as long

but exercise is just what i love now

i have no gf

no love interests

it's just wat im about for this time in my life?

• 3 months later...

has anyone heard of blackpowder or pronos??? my brother uses them and is seeming to have good results although hes in the gym like everyday. i have a bit of size in the chest and shoulders but a bit of extra baggage round the stomach that i want to get rid of and tone up b4 bulking up wat would ppl reccomend?. i see ppl are having some good results with this hydroxycut stuff wats the differences in performance compared with the hydroxycut hardcore?

i work fifo 12hr shifts and my job is pretty labourous most of the time then hit the gym after about 4 days a week?

has anyone heard of blackpowder or pronos??? my brother uses them and is seeming to have good results although hes in the gym like everyday. i have a bit of size in the chest and shoulders but a bit of extra baggage round the stomach that i want to get rid of and tone up b4 bulking up wat would ppl reccomend?. i see ppl are having some good results with this hydroxycut stuff wats the differences in performance compared with the hydroxycut hardcore?

i work fifo 12hr shifts and my job is pretty labourous most of the time then hit the gym after about 4 days a week?

if you're in the gym "like everyday" you won't bulk up.. you bulk up because of how you repair your muscles after ripping them up in the gym,

so say you do one and a half hours of working out in the gym, that's the time that you'r ripping up your muscle fibres, following this, you have to "feed" them, this can be done by a few different things

cold shower followed by hot shower after your workout (constricts and opens blood vessels and is good for circulation - feels great too, helps you not be sore the next day)

Protein - whey isolate is the fastest acting protein and if you CAN drink it mix it up with skim milk too - contain casein (slow acting protein) and electrolytes and vitamin B which is great for after exercise... also contains a nice amount of carbohydrates so skim milk is my ideal "post exercise drink"

magnesium and potassium - found in oranges and orange juice, have one small glass a day though, i personally mix 3g of creatine (enough for body tone) with my orange juice after my workout too..

and most importantly

REST

if you rip up muscles in the gym, and feed them afterwards, they will only get bigger if you get the correct amount of sleep and rest.. if you're always working them and not giving them time to rest and form then you won't notice any diffence except strength

now

i'm not qualified or anything, i'm fairly knowledgable and have lost a lot of weight and gained a lot of muscle tone over the months, i've battled weight for a long time.. so this worked for me and can work for literally anyone - we're not all THAT different..

hydroxycut hardcore i've heard good things about however i take BCN's XLR-8, it's a natural formula the caffeine is derived from guarana seed, and it's a west australian company, it's cheaper too.. content wise i haven't compared it to hydroxycut... but they're both a thermogenic which are there to pick up your metabolism while the caffeine suppresses your hunger to binge eat.. they work like that and give you more energy to work out for longer therefore burn more fat... but the reality is, it's YOU that does the work, not supplements

also look into GDMA's containing amino acids as they will help lose your "gut" but "gut" can be caused by a few thigns

the main cause is diet specifically sodium / salts, it gives us gut bloat so limit that and you'll notice a size decrease

increase your cardio before breakfast, wake up, have a thermo pill, go for a run... reason being, you haven't eaten since dinner lastnight, so your body has burned off all carbs and proteins from your last meal, so the only other fuel in your body left is your fat. it's really that simple...

and WHEN you run... tense up your abs as much as you can for as long as you can, you don't need to do crunches and sit ups and bends and lifts and whatever everyday, it's a load of crap, a half hour of abs, once a week, is enough....

but fact is

abdominals are a support muscle,

when you run, they get worked out.

when you ride, they get worked out.

when you swim, they get worked out.

my advice is... don't "trim" before you "bulk" just do it all at once. it's not that hard =)

just flicking thru this topic.. There are alot of proteins out there and i have tried so far. Muscletech Cell Tec hardcore, NitroTech, Anabolic Halo, PVL protein, Dymatize. So far the Dymatize and Cell tec is doing ok. Iv been put on a high protein low calorie low carb low sugar diet, thats when i have seen my strength and size shoot thru the roof.

Muscletech is way overpriced. IF you want to build good muscle and want to use suppliments.. BSN is the only thing id use now. The muscle build stack actually works. Costs roughly 300 bucks for the stack but it works, unlike half of the other shit out there, pay 150 for something and all it does is tast like crap, no results AT ALL..

Also hard training :/

My protein of choice at the moment comes from proteindirect.com.au, its cheap and i like the taste mixes well with water.

Also been trying beta-alanine as a supplement, just throwing it in with a shake pre and post WO and is i think is working great especially giving me a bit extra strength and endurance on all of my lifts.