SAU Community

6 Speed Getrag Into A Gtt

Although I am keen to do this sometime in the future, I'd like to know what options I've got and whether it is in fact possible/feasable to get a six speed 'box in the R34 GTT...

I'm sure I've seen information on here about ratio kits that replace the stock ones (OS Giken are they?), but I can't recall ever seeing a gearbox transplant? Is a swap possible? I know it wouldn't be cheap... What options have I got? Have many people here done anything like this???

Thanks lads!

{EDIT}

Read last page..

Thanks.

Edited by Marco-R34GTT

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Internally the same. Too much f**king around for little benefit. It's not even that strong a box anyway. I've seen people convert R32 GTR boxes to RWD so I don't see why it couldn't be done with an R34 one. Good luck. Start saving.

y would you be looking at doint this anyhow ? if u need it for higher powers then just go ppg dog box :blink: ull find it had to break " a good friend of mine blew one up last month while we were playin around in the streets" we were all in disbleafe but ya.. that will cost you about 9-11 gz

Would the 6 speed out of the s15 be a fit at all

Its weaker than the S14 5-speed...

Its basically the same box as a S14, with an extra gear stuffed inside the same area... so everything isn't as strong to cram it all in.

I know two people who have munched S15 boxes without that much power (200-220rwkw)

Converted to S14 5-speed and havent had issues since.

then what realistic and 'streetable' alternatives are there???

The factory one? Plenty have run over 400rwkw without even a sniff of issue.

Those that do bust them, just get a gearset put in.

Does not make the cars unstreetable, its just a gearset.

Whats the application?

Whats the requirement for a 6-speed?

Are you after something specific?

Or just to say that you can 'have' a 6-speed?

The Getrag 6 speed is a different design to the GT-t box in terms of dimensions and what not.

It might not even be a bolt in affair... So once you modify the gearbox to remove the transfer case you might still have a bit of work to do.

Ok.. Honestly:

1/3 of me wants a six speed box to be different.

1/3 of me just wants a six speed so, as you said, "I have a six speed box" blah blah blah... Still, I'm not the bragging type, so this for me is a rather "niether here nor there" affair...

1/3 of me actually needs it, I do bucketloads of country driving, now, I refuse to sell my R34, I love it to bits. I cannot afford a GTR and on that note, a GTR isn't really practical for my uses... sitting of 3000 RPM on the speed limit between my place in Perth and my farm (360km) eat the juice like mad.. Now I realise Skylines will never be frugal fuel misers, but it would make sense that I would be using less fuel if I was doing a few hundred RPM less... A 'cruise' gear so-to speak....

I guess it is partially a desire to be different and a dash of necessity, no point me lying about it....

Can you get a 6-speed gear-set for the GTT box? As opposed to resorting to a full blown gearbox transplant???

Edited by Marco-R34GTT

Trying to go a 6-speed option is VERY expensive to do considering what you want to achieve, just to be different... even if it can be done :blink:

The GTR 6 speed alone is 3.5k or so 2nd hand before you start.

You'd be better off looking at changing diff gears or something in that department.

I dont think you'd get a 6 cog set into the box, it would weaken everything in reality, making it a less strong box (same as S15/S14 issues)

Ok.. Honestly:

1/3 of me wants a six speed box to be different.

1/3 of me just wants a six speed so, as you said, "I have a six speed box" blah blah blah... Still, I'm not the bragging type, so this for me is a rather "niether here nor there" affair...

1/3 of me actually needs it, I do bucketloads of country driving, now, I refuse to sell my R34, I love it to bits. I cannot afford a GTR and on that note, a GTR isn't really practical for my uses... sitting of 3000 RPM on the speed limit between my place in Perth and my farm (360km) eat the juice like mad.. Now I realise Skylines will never be frugal fuel misers, but it would make sense that I would be using less fuel if I was doing a few hundred RPM less... A 'cruise' gear so-to speak....

I guess it is partially a desire to be different and a dash of necessity, no point me lying about it....

Can you get a 6-speed gear-set for the GTT box? As opposed to resorting to a full blown gearbox transplant???

1. Fair enough. I can sympathise.

2. Pretty much the same as 1.

3. In the R34 GTR box 5th gear is 1:1 which is the same as 4th gear in almost every 5 speed box out there. This means that 6th is pretty much the same as 5th in a 5 speed making this reason redundant.

Ok, I reckon that with that money it's doable. Buy R34 GTR box. You know it will bolt up at the engine. Clutch shouldn't be a problem. Shifter should be in the right position as same basic body as GTT and GTT box pretty much the same as GTST box. Prolly need custom tailshaft. About a grand I think. Maybe get a one piece. Maybe just do the front section and keep the rear section. Yeah that's a better idea. Check out the people who have cut off the transfer cases of R32 boxes. Any competent engineer should be able to do it.

@abo. Thanks mate, that was the sorta post I was hoping for... I hope that between cutting off the transfer case and fitting the box into the car, it won't over do my budget...

On another note though, would the six speed out of a 350Z fit????

As said above tho, the 6speed doesnt really have taller gearing, just more gears for the same result. One more gear to break etc... The car off the road while someone works out how to do it etc. Personally being different isnt worth it that much.

Just change your diff gears, you will achive your end result of sitting at a lower rpm way easier, cheaper, and with less potential hassels.

That or maybe just look at changing your 5th gear ratio, but thats a fair stuff about too in compairson.

I remember posting this question on here some time ago... I'm not enlightened as to the specifications of other trannys... So what final drives/diff ratios would be longer than that from an R34 GTT???

the shifter in GTR boxes (well 32 and 33) is in the transfer case. not 100% sure on 34 off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure it's the same arrangement, so you will need to check that and possibly correct it. also there is no "cutting the transfer case off". it just unbolts but i'm not sure if you need to unbolt it and make up an extension housing for the back of the box (box is much shorter without the transfer case obviously) or if you leave it there and just remove the bits inside. of course you will need new tailshaft too and possibly new clutch if the input shaft is different. I would budget around $10K to get it done nicely. but as adam pointed out it wont give you that much better gearing for your freeway driving. It is a little better though. I would either do the diff ratio change. generally autos will have a taller diff (around a 3.9 or so in skylines I think) so you may find a 34 auto diff is better. or get a custom 5th gear made for your box. someone like PPG or PAR could do it, but if it's fixed to the shaft then you'll need them to custom make one.

Wow... That is pretty cool...

Speaking of, I just got an E-Mail from OS Giken, their 6 speed road/race box is 17 grand..... So I'm still thinking, if I do it, I'll have to make it an 'in house' job so to speak.... Souce the parts and do some decent homework...

Is it true that Stageas have a slightly taller diff ration as well???

my bro put a 6 speed 350z gearbox in his s13 sr20, all he had to do was get an adaptor for the bellhousing made up, mod the gearbox crossmember, get a 350z tail shaft and get that modded, and just chop up and get the remote shifter moved foward cos the gearbox is pretty long, but it fits and has really low gear ratios so it acclerates f**ken quick! the gears are huge in these boxes we had it apart and the thickness of each gear was the biggest i have ever seen. So they should be strong enough. It was a good mod if you ask me