SAU Community

6 Speed Getrag Into A Gtt

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok Folks, I asked Yo-Yo, who owns both an R34 GTT and a 350Z to take both for a spin and see what RPM's both cars achieved @ 110kph.

Here are the results for anyone who is interested...

eh

my Z at 110kph in 6th is sitting around 2750~

Just get some taller rear tyres, might look a bit funny, but they will be cheaper, and give better ride. What is the rear tyre sixe on your car? If you dont like the look, you could get bigger rims with not very low profile tyres, and it will make a big difference.

OK, trying not to highjack this thread but Is an R34 box a genuine 6 speed manual? or semi auto. I have a Z in Brisbane putting out way too much hp to get it down, so its going awd. The VQ35 family doesn't have an awd 6 speed manual so I have to either convert the original box or find an alternative. I don't want to go sequential/ hollinger as its too noisy. The rest is bolt on stuff and dead easy. I have checked the r34 ratios and they are ..............close enough for me, taller actually so that is good. My F/D is 3.3 which is the auto ratio out of an m35 which will match the front setup.. Is the box strong? Can you get them?

OK, trying not to highjack this thread but Is an R34 box a genuine 6 speed manual? or semi auto. I have a Z in Brisbane putting out way too much hp to get it down, so its going awd. The VQ35 family doesn't have an awd 6 speed manual so I have to either convert the original box or find an alternative. I don't want to go sequential/ hollinger as its too noisy. The rest is bolt on stuff and dead easy. I have checked the r34 ratios and they are ..............close enough for me, taller actually so that is good. My F/D is 3.3 which is the auto ratio out of an m35 which will match the front setup.. Is the box strong? Can you get them?

you are going to do an AWD swap but dont know whether or not 34 GTR 6spds are semi or full manual..... :D

they are full manual and very strong, bought a few in years back new in crates sold them for about 3k each back then. Have fun cutting up the floor to fit the transfer... oh 34 uses a unigue transfer to so you will need one of those... 32 and 33 dont fit.

you are going to do an AWD swap but dont know whether or not 34 GTR 6spds are semi or full manual..... :D

they are full manual and very strong, bought a few in years back new in crates sold them for about 3k each back then. Have fun cutting up the floor to fit the transfer... oh 34 uses a unigue transfer to so you will need one of those... 32 and 33 dont fit.

Ahh, grasshopper, the question was designed to draw out the knowledgable ones such as yourself, so that I can sort the sh#t from the clay. I had read somewhere about a triptronic in a 34 but I was on the fly and didn't absorb the total post. In any case, to me it would seem, I am better off diving into this community with such a depth of knowledge it can fast track my process with the "intimate knowledge stuff" that you would pick up from a Z forum if you were into them. Clearly you are unaware of the JUN conversion using a 33 which just bolted up with a conversion welding job (rough as guts I might add, as R&D often is) I just don't want rough or 5 speed. I Don't think the floor is an issue as it has a pressed recess for a transfer case and can easily accommodate the bulk as the M35 bolts straight up without a single mod except for the front end. I just dont want an auto as it would sh#t itself in seconds. The only ugly thing about the 34 box is probably going to be the bellhousing situation. I have a supplier rustling me up a new 34 box so that we can check it all out. After doing a bit of searching it seems they are hard to get and have probably been thrashed if second hand anyway. If it doesn't work out I will sure be able to sell it to the skyline enthusiasts.

To Marco-R34GTT, I don't remember posting swap, I said spare. $1700 + freight from Brisbane and its yours. I believe its from an '04 with no K's to mention.

Ahh, grasshopper, the question was designed to draw out the knowledgable ones such as yourself, so that I can sort the sh#t from the clay. I had read somewhere about a triptronic in a 34 but I was on the fly and didn't absorb the total post. In any case, to me it would seem, I am better off diving into this community with such a depth of knowledge it can fast track my process with the "intimate knowledge stuff" that you would pick up from a Z forum if you were into them. Clearly you are unaware of the JUN conversion using a 33 which just bolted up with a conversion welding job (rough as guts I might add, as R&D often is) I just don't want rough or 5 speed. I Don't think the floor is an issue as it has a pressed recess for a transfer case and can easily accommodate the bulk as the M35 bolts straight up without a single mod except for the front end. I just dont want an auto as it would sh#t itself in seconds. The only ugly thing about the 34 box is probably going to be the bellhousing situation. I have a supplier rustling me up a new 34 box so that we can check it all out. After doing a bit of searching it seems they are hard to get and have probably been thrashed if second hand anyway. If it doesn't work out I will sure be able to sell it to the skyline enthusiasts.

To Marco-R34GTT, I don't remember posting swap, I said spare. $1700 + freight from Brisbane and its yours. I believe its from an '04 with no K's to mention.

the yellow thing at TAS07. ive done a few box conversions... like R33 to SR20, cut and weld jobs and if done correctly are fine but getting some-one to cut the shite true is an issue. From all the pics ive seen of the JUN car the box job is actually very good and far from rough, and there is no reason a 34 gtr box and transfer would not fit the same way.... only issue is sorting out the R34 atessa shit.. if it were my project i would go R32 gtr (fit OSGIKEN internals) and run with the less complex R32 attesa system... would cost maybe 6k all up compared to 9 or 10k

Now im no z expert but i know 100% that the transfer does not fit see pics of the JUN floor pan.

post-34927-1202380276_thumb.jpg

post-34927-1202380315_thumb.jpg

the yellow thing at TAS07. ive done a few box conversions... like R33 to SR20, cut and weld jobs and if done correctly are fine but getting some-one to cut the shite true is an issue. From all the pics ive seen of the JUN car the box job is actually very good and far from rough, and there is no reason a 34 gtr box and transfer would not fit the same way.... only issue is sorting out the R34 atessa shit.. if it were my project i would go R32 gtr (fit OSGIKEN internals) and run with the less complex R32 attesa system... would cost maybe 6k all up compared to 9 or 10k

Now im no z expert but i know 100% that the transfer does not fit see pics of the JUN floor pan.

Thanks for the information and pics. Fleshed out beautifully! The M35 seems to be a more compact system then (allbeit auto) Second thoughts are probably along the lines of not wanting to butcher the new car to that extent. post-39415-1202420184_thumb.jpg Edited by qikz

^^^ i wish i knew abit more about the Z"s... the deepest ive gone is fitting twin turbo PWR enterprise kits, superchargers and emanage ultimates.. which any monkey can do really... i have never done any real hard core work like engine builds or engine swaps. My familiarity on M35 awd systems is almost zero too so i cant offer any advice in regards to those :thumbsup:

^^^ i wish i knew abit more about the Z"s... the deepest ive gone is fitting twin turbo PWR enterprise kits, superchargers and emanage ultimates.. which any monkey can do really... i have never done any real hard core work like engine builds or engine swaps. My familiarity on M35 awd systems is almost zero too so i cant offer any advice in regards to those :cheers:
VQ35 engine builds can be very EXPENSIVE. Once done correctly, they are very sweet. Problem to a large extent is that they are relatively young and new tecniques are being discovered all the time. As soon as I paid for the JUN stroker kit, a new cheaper Aus version hit the streets. (it looks good too) As soon as I got the APS plenum, Cosworth released their new one. I'm getting the new 38GTR which is putting out less than I am currently however with its awd its going to be hard to beat. I'm sure its going to be fun to match them both, but it would be sweet for the Z to give it a hard time. All I can look forward to now is a loose r send every time it "brings it orn" from about 4000rpm through to redline.

VQ35 engine builds can be very EXPENSIVE. Once done correctly, they are very sweet. Problem to a large extent is that they are relatively young and new tecniques are being discovered all the time. As soon as I paid for the JUN stroker kit, a new cheaper Aus version hit the streets. (it looks good too) As soon as I got the APS plenum, Cosworth released their new one. I'm getting the new 38GTR which is putting out less than I am currently however with its awd its going to be hard to beat. I'm sure its going to be fun to match them both, but it would be sweet for the Z to give it a hard time. All I can look forward to now is a loose r send every time it "brings it orn" from about 4000rpm through to redline.

dont feel too bad most of the stoker kits (and cams for that matter) come from the same factory in asia. saw quite a few eye rasiers whilst over there.

greddy had their prototype 4.2l kit in this at autosalon this year but i dont think it was listed as i was talking to them prior and it was still hush hush.

post-34927-1202546156_thumb.jpg

OK Guys...

There is a chance I might get qikz's Z box, or well I've just PM'ed him about the manner...

The only thing I'm concerned about is as to how the Z box will fit in the R34... I'm not a mechanic, just wondering if anyone here has been under an R34 and has done any tranny work, might be able to tell me what I'm in for.. As I said, budget is around 6k, so I've got some wriggle room for custom work... Cheers!